Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 19:26 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 19:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2854 [22]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [5]
Given Kudos: 489
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
General Discussion
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15269 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 446 [0]
Given Kudos: 725
Schools: NUS '25 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Off late, the interest in nano systems is increasing due to their [#permalink]
GMATNinja KarishmaB could you please help here.

I believe OA should be D here and not C. In C we have a comma in between just two list elements. Isn't that sufficient grounds to eliminate C?

Element 1: micro surgeries
Element 2: operations in minute or critical micro environments

Shouldn't these two elements be seperated just by and? A comma + and indicates start of the second independent clause and "operations in minute or critical micro environments" is not an independent clause since it lacks a verb.

Please correct if I'm going wrong with this line of thinking. Also, I can't seem to find any mistakes in D. It appears to have perfect parallelism.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
Send PM
Re: Off late, the interest in nano systems is increasing due to their [#permalink]
GMATNinja sayantanc2k IanStewart MartyTargetTestPrep

Can you please help with your expert solution to this question? I am not satisfied with the OA and OE.

Couldn't it be that in option A there are 2 items in the list: micro surgeries and minute operations? And the part "operating in critical micro environment" is the modifier of micro surgeries. That makes option A totally correct.

Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5138 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Shreya00 wrote:
Can you please help with your expert solution to this question? I am not satisfied with the OA and OE.

Couldn't it be that in option A there are 2 items in the list: micro surgeries and minute operations? And the part "operating in critical micro environment" is the modifier of micro surgeries. That makes option A totally correct.

While, a phrase such as "operating in micro environments" could in theory be an appositive modifying a preceding noun phrase, such as "micro surgeries," since "micro surgeries" is a plural thing, whereas "operating in micro environments" is a singular action, that modification does not make sense.

Meanwhile, "micro surgeries, operating in critical micro environments, and minute operations" combines two different types of ideas in one list. "Surgeries" and "operations" are types of events whereas "operating" is an action. So, the list in the (A) version, while almost correct, is a little off.

That said, there's no clear reason that anyone with ordinary knowledge would have why the list in (C) is any better than the list in (D). So, both (C) and (D) are viable correct answers, and this question needs some tuning.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9250 [2]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Shreya00 wrote:

I agree with you that A can be correct, if you interpret "operating in micro-environments" as a definitional phrase. It's perfectly fine to say something like "Somnambulism, walking in one's sleep, is a condition that can be brought on by stress." Here, "walking in one's sleep" defines what "somnambulism" means, and is not an item in a list. You can read answer A in the same way, where "operating in micro-environments" serves to define what the technical term "microsurgeries" means.

The standard of writing in this question is so poor though that it's hard to tell what any of it is trying to say, which makes it impossible to choose a good answer. For one thing, there's no way to tell if "minute operations" is a term of art that needs to be preserved, or if we can freely reword it to say "operations in minute micro-environments" as the OA does. And the phrase "minute micro-environment" in the OA is simply absurd; of course a "micro-environment" is "minute", because "micro" and "minute" mean the same thing. In an official question, I'd rule out C on that basis alone. It's always best to stick to official problems, because then you can be sure you'll be learning things relevant on the real test (and to clear and precise writing generally).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 221
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you so much MartyTargetTestPrep and IanStewart .. This helps a lot!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64978 [2]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kungfury42 wrote:
GMATNinja KarishmaB could you please help here.

I believe OA should be D here and not C. In C we have a comma in between just two list elements. Isn't that sufficient grounds to eliminate C?

Element 1: micro surgeries
Element 2: operations in minute or critical micro environments

Shouldn't these two elements be seperated just by and? A comma + and indicates start of the second independent clause and "operations in minute or critical micro environments" is not an independent clause since it lacks a verb.

Please correct if I'm going wrong with this line of thinking. Also, I can't seem to find any mistakes in D. It appears to have perfect parallelism.

You are right that with two elements in the list, we do not use the oxford comma. In any case, do not worry too much about the question - all elements of the list seem to be the same to the non-medico eye.

This Question is Locked Due to Poor Quality
Hi there,
The question you've reached has been archived due to not meeting our community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for better-quality questions? Check out the 'Similar Questions' block below for a list of similar but high-quality questions.
Want to join other relevant Problem Solving discussions? Visit our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum for the most recent and top-quality discussions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts