Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 12:52 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 12:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
VanessaR,thanks for your feedback.I really appreciate.My problem is that I have to stick with Georgia universities.Particularly the ones in Atlanta.This leaves me with not too many choices.Emory,GaTech and Georgia State University.
I am not even thinking about Georgia State University,so I just decided to concentrate on GaTech and Emory.The problem with Emory is that it's pretty hard to get into it,not to mention about scholarships.A friend of mine,Emory graduate,applied to MBA program at Emory,he had a decent GMAT score,3.6 GPA and strong credentials.I was sure he would get an admission from Emory,but to my surprise,he was rejected.
The other thing about Emory is that it's very expensive.GaTech is pretty decent and the only advantage of this school is that in state tuition rates are pretty low.They are incredibly low.I'm not sure,maybe this is one of the reasons GaTech is not well known in Atlanta.
Anyways,here is my feedback.
BS in Business Administration
GPA 3.35
Work Experience 4 years.Banking and Production
I have not yet taken GMAT, but planning to take it towards the end of september,aiming to get 700.
If anyone here had any experience with Emory or GaTech,please leave your references,I will appreciate it.
thanks in advance!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Fuqua,

mine profile is
GPA 3.8
GMAT 650
BS in Econ
Work Experience 3 yrs, procurement&accounting in very good company;
i think i had strong recommendations
by the way, you may take a MS in Finance/Marketing/whatewer else from GaState. and an MBA afterwards.

Vanessa, do you think that GaTech's MBA is not very useful if I'm going to move to some other places upon graduation?
what usually recruiters think when they see resume with mba from unknown program? i'm currenly in MS in Econ program...does it have sense to move to unknown mba program ?
thank you.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Andrea,
you might want to retake your GMAT and apply to better schools.I picked up GaTech because this is one of the decent schools in the South.And I think that Atlanta is a good place to live.It's not New York,Chicago or SF,but if you can get a good paying job,this is really a nice place to live.
You said that you got into top 30 b-school everything covered.If I were you I would go for it and do my MBA.It is really difficult to get a full cover tuition from top schools.
By the way,what school did you get in with full cover tuition?Is it GaTech?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Fuqua,

How about Univ of Georgia?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
good school,it's in Athens though,not in Atlanta.About an hour of drive from Atlanta.Besides,UGA and GaTech seem to have the same ranking.GaTech has a better location,it's right in downtown.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
I realize Terry is outside of Atlanta, I just thought it would be nice to have another option.

What are you seeking from your MBA experience?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Fuqua,
First, if you think you can get a 700 on the GMAT, I recommend that you at least apply to Emory. My overall opinion is to go to the very best school that you can. There are so many parts to MBA admissions, don't let your friend's experience discourage you from at least making a strong attempt. Emory is a great school and although it's more expensive, it may be that your ROI from going to Emory would be higher than it would be if you went to Tech. There are many more factors in MBA admissions than just GPA and GMAT. The type of leadership experiences you have had and how you convey them is another element (essays!).

That said, if you end up at Tech and you intend to live in Georgia, the Tech brand is a great one to have here (as a general brand).

Andrea,
I have to be honest and say that if you don't intend to stay in Atlanta, at least for a significant period of time after your MBA (so that you can gain some solid work experience before moving on), I think the Georgia Tech MBA will not be as valuable as an MBA from a higher-ranked school like Emory. If you plan to stay in Atlanta, then yes, I think a Tech MBA will suffice. But if you want more flexibility and options, then I'd recommend a higher ranked program. I'm not saying that you can't succeed with an MBA from Tech, but its brand is just not that well known from the b-school standpoint.

As far as what recruiters think when they see an MBA on a resume from an unknown program... First, if the job they are hiring for requires an MBA, then it's a good thing to have the MBA. Second, the school also lets recruiters know what type of salary will be required. So an MBA is valuable. However, a higher ranked MBA can, and often does, garner a higher salary. I could give you numerous anecdotal examples of this.

I am in the process of organizing a GMAT study group in the Atlanta area. If you are interested or if you know anyone who would be interested, please contact me. This group would be open to anyone, and my hope is really just to provide an open, collaborative learning environment for those studying for the GMAT. The format of the group would be up to participants - my only role is to provide a venue (a quiet meeting room at a local coffee shop) and put everyone in touch with one another. You can email me at: info@attain-group.com

Also, feel free to email me with general MBA admissions questions.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
I agree with VanessaR that it is worthwhile to apply to Emory. However, one should think twice if given the choice between attending one of the NEF schools on a full scholarship and paying list price at Emory.

Emory
https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=12653

Georgia Tech
https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=15711
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Andrea,
can you give me your email or send it to my pm.I would like to ask you some questions if you don't mind.
Hope to hear from you soon.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]