Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 02:23 It is currently 02 May 2024, 02:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Re: MS Accounting; Non-Acc Major [#permalink]
It sounds like in college you were more interested in fund management/finance than accounting. A 700 will get you into really any accounting program, especially given your undergrad grades. Be sure to think this through though. If you think that you want to go to business school after accounting (graduate program), then make the move now. Accounting is great, and you can make a great living working in accounting, but you will need about 4 years in a Big 4 firm before having enough experience and leadership to make it into a reputable business program (you would be a first or second year senior associate, depending on which firm you work for).

One other thing I would add, is that unlike business school, your accounting program doesn't really matter for the Big 4 (as compared to banking, consulting, etc.). The Big 4 has target schools, but they are much more varied and I would check with the schools to see if the Big 4 recruit on those campuses). In other words, you are going to pay a lot to go all the way to Austin for 2 years (or 1 1/2 years or whatever), and you will have the same job as someone that went to a local university, and paid a lot less.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you Revan and CaliCpa for your replies. I have done a good deal of research over the last year, including talking with several CPAs, and feel that accounting is the track I want to pursue rather than fund management. My ultimate goal is to work for one of the Big 4 and make senior associate/manager. I realize this will take a lot of hard work and long hours, but it isn't something that I've shied away from in the past. I will keep you all posted on my progress in the coming month. I know a lot of acceptance letters are being sent out for UNC, so I'll make sure to finalize out my application as soon as possible!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts