Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:06 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
Re: UCLA vs Marshall vs Irvine [#permalink]
Would it be a fair assessment to say that the PT programs in LA are ranked as follows?

UCLA
USC
UCI
Loyola
Pepperdine

Not quite sure how Loyola and Pepperdine rank respectively in terms of part time. I know CSU Long Beach and Fullerton also offer programs. Are they even worth consideration?

I'm hoping to fall right around or below 700 on GMAT with a 3.4 GPA. Working at a top 5 global company.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:Marketing (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Cares wrote:
Would it be a fair assessment to say that the PT programs in LA are ranked as follows?

UCLA
USC
UCI
Loyola
Pepperdine

Not quite sure how Loyola and Pepperdine rank respectively in terms of part time. I know CSU Long Beach and Fullerton also offer programs. Are they even worth consideration?

I'm hoping to fall right around or below 700 on GMAT with a 3.4 GPA. Working at a top 5 global company.

The top three are definitely accurate. As for Loyola vs. Pepperdine, I found that US News ranked Pepperdine around #50 for part-time programs, but didn't see Loyola on there. Perhaps you should take a look here: https://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... e-rankings

With regards to the CSU MBAs, I would imagine that most people on this forum would tell you that it isn't worth your time. I disagree if you are doing a part-time program. Sure, you won't get the same prestige from going to a CSU as you would from going to a higher ranked program, but I think any MBA from an accredited university sends a positive message to current and prospective employers. There will be some employers who will ask for an MBA from a Top X university, but in my experience that is the exception, not the norm. In addition, I know people who were accepted by both a CSU and a highly regarded UC school, and opted to go with the CSU simply because it was more affordable. Lastly, there are plenty of very successful people who have MBAs from CSUs -- the COO of Symantec, for example, has an MBA from SF State.

In conclusion, it is a personal decision that you will need to make based on what's important to you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
GMATLA wrote:
UCLA > USC > Irvine

UCLA is the highest ranked university of the 3. USC is slightly lower than UCLA, and Irivine is significantly lower than both. UCLA and USC will cost the same (approx $100k) and Irvine will cost significantly less. USC and Irvine I much more regional schools, so the degree will help place you in jobs in southern california. UCLA will be a little better in its ability to place you around the country. UCLA is also the best school in the area, so your degree will be superior to USC, Irvine, LMU, and Pepperdine.

As far as GMAT goes, the average at UCLA is 710, the average at USC is 690, and the average at Irvine I'm sure is somewhere around 600. So all that considered, I would recommend scoring a 700+ for a shot at USC and UCLA, and Irvine shouldn't be tough to get into with a decent score on the GMAT.

For the record, the average GMAT score at UCI is 670
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
SeanJaz wrote:
GMATLA wrote:
UCLA > USC > Irvine

UCLA is the highest ranked university of the 3. USC is slightly lower than UCLA, and Irivine is significantly lower than both. UCLA and USC will cost the same (approx $100k) and Irvine will cost significantly less. USC and Irvine I much more regional schools, so the degree will help place you in jobs in southern california. UCLA will be a little better in its ability to place you around the country. UCLA is also the best school in the area, so your degree will be superior to USC, Irvine, LMU, and Pepperdine.

As far as GMAT goes, the average at UCLA is 710, the average at USC is 690, and the average at Irvine I'm sure is somewhere around 600. So all that considered, I would recommend scoring a 700+ for a shot at USC and UCLA, and Irvine shouldn't be tough to get into with a decent score on the GMAT.

For the record, the average GMAT score at UCI is 670

This is a 2012 discussion so yes, GMAT scores have changed.
UCI is 649 based on latest US News data I have access to.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts