Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:27 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619246 [17]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 346 [11]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619246 [3]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
General Discussion
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4690 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: Genevieve: Increasing costs have led commercial airlines to cut back [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
Genevieve: Increasing costs have led commercial airlines to cut back on airplane maintenance. Also, reductions in public spending have led to air traffic control centers being underfunded and understaffed. For these and other reasons it is becoming quite unsafe to fly, and so one should avoid doing it.

Harold: Your reasoning may be sound, but I can hardly accept your conclusion when you yourself have recently been flying on commercial airlines even more than before.

Which one of the following relies on a questionable technique most similar to that used in Harold’s reply to Genevieve?

(A) David says that the new film is not very good, but he has not seen it himself, so I don’t accept his opinion.

(B) A long time ago Maria showed me a great way to cook lamb, but for medical reasons she no longer eats red meat, so I’ll cook something else for dinner tonight.

(C) Susan has been trying to persuade me to go rock climbing with her, claiming that it’s quite safe, but last week she fell and broke her collarbone, so I don’t believe her.

(D) Pat has shown me research that proves that eating raw green vegetables is very beneficial and that one should eat them daily, but I don’t believe it, since she hardly ever eats raw green vegetables.

(E) Gabriel has all the qualifications we have specified for the job and has much relevant work experience, but I don’t believe we should hire him, because when he worked in a similar position before his performance was mediocre.

Harold puts forth his argument by directly challenging the action of the speaker....

Among the given options only (C) and (D) are close contenders, however (D) seems more appealing as it is more directly attacking the speakers action of not eating raw green vegetables, hence IMHO (D)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [0]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
Re: Genevieve: Increasing costs have led commercial airlines to cut back [#permalink]
In D, PAT is recommending a suggestion, but I don't believe in her suggestion because Pat herself doesn't stick to this suggestion.

D is answer here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 290 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Although I am not 100% sure, here is what I believe. C and D are the only contenders.

(C) Susan has been trying to persuade me to go rock climbing with her, claiming that it’s quite safe, //but last week she fell and broke her collarbone, so I don’t believe her.//

(D) Pat has ((shown me research)) that proves that eating raw green vegetables is very beneficial and that one should eat them daily, but ((I don’t believe *it*)), since ((*she* hardly ever eats raw green vegetables)) - this structure of not believing in it since she hardly eats.... doesn't match.

The actual sequence is like...."I don't believe your conclusion as you yourself".....

I would go with C.

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-12-2012
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Between C and D ,
I chose D ,because in C Susan fell and broke her collar bone (She did not intently fall down)
But in D Pat purposefully did not eat raw vegetables.(Similar to problem statement where Genevieve purposefully was still making more travels.)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1603 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Genevieve: Increasing costs have led commercial airlines to cut back on airplane maintenance. Also, reductions in public spending have led to air traffic control centers being underfunded and understaffed. For these and other reasons it is becoming quite unsafe to fly, and so one should avoid doing it.

Harold: Your reasoning may be sound, but I can hardly accept your conclusion when you yourself have recently been flying on commercial airlines even more than before.

Which one of the following relies on a questionable technique most similar to that used in Harold’s reply to Genevieve?

(A) David says that the new film is not very good, but he has not seen it himself, so I don’t accept his opinion.

(B) A long time ago Maria showed me a great way to cook lamb, but for medical reasons she no longer eats red meat, so I’ll cook something else for dinner tonight.

(C) Susan has been trying to persuade me to go rock climbing with her, claiming that it’s quite safe, but last week she fell and broke her collarbone, so I don’t believe her.

(D) Pat has shown me research that proves that eating raw green vegetables is very beneficial and that one should eat them daily, but I don’t believe it, since she hardly ever eats raw green vegetables.

(E) Gabriel has all the qualifications we have specified for the job and has much relevant work experience, but I don’t believe we should hire him, because when he worked in a similar position before his performance was mediocre.

A, B , and E are easy outs. D looks more clearer than C.
Current Student
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23
GMAT 2: 530 Q39 V24
GMAT 3: 580 Q46 V24 (Online)
GMAT 4: 640 Q50 V26
GPA: 3.82
WE:Other (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
SonalSinha803 Only C and D are close contenders....In Option C , the problem is Susan herself has done rock climbing which she suugested whereas in Option D PAT has recommended for eating raw vegetables where PAT himself has hardly eaten raw vegetables. Here PAT is not implementing what he is suggesting

Hence Option D is correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
ONE THIng prevented me to pick D was Pat SHOWED the research but we dont know if even Pat is convinced by that research. It is different from the main argument where the speaker was speaking his own belief

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23
GMAT 2: 530 Q39 V24
GMAT 3: 580 Q46 V24 (Online)
GMAT 4: 640 Q50 V26
GPA: 3.82
WE:Other (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
VodkaHelps I would like to add my 2 cents on this one.....
There is a pattern in this question type
There are few findings based on which a conclusion is derived which is countered and not accepted out rightly and then there is an example mentioned in the later part

If we carefully observe the pattern in Option C Susan went for rock climbing last week, she fell and later on she is persuading to go on rock climbing with here considering this is unsafe. So here the example is mentioned in first part itself and later on the conclusion is derived

Now if we carefully look Option D, research proves a conclusion( Eating raw vegetables is beneficial), which is countered ( I dont believe it) and then an example is mentioned . ( She hardly ever eats raw vegetables)

Hence D matches the pattern derived and is the clear winner

Kindly give kudos if my explanation helped :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 207
Send PM
was stuck with C and D, selected D over C. D sound similar to Harold reasoning than C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 132
GPA: 3.59
WE:Sales (Retail)
Send PM
VodkaHelps wrote:
ONE THIng prevented me to pick D was Pat SHOWED the research but we dont know if even Pat is convinced by that research. It is different from the main argument where the speaker was speaking his own belief

Posted from my mobile device

He actually was convinced because he made a recommendation that one should eat them daily.

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts