Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 09:58 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [14]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
Schools: Stanford GSB - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Real Estate)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT Date: 06-11-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: My Long Debrief Q49, V44, 750 [#permalink]
Congratulations on your score and many thanks for sharing your briefing! It's really helpful.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
How many tests did you took ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Congratulations ! Amazing debrief - the points mentioned on the mental tune up before the test day are really useful. Good luck for the apps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
Awesome! Awesome! Congratulations!
I have a few questions to ask with you...
You mentioned "Don't look at the advanced guides as supplementary" Which one are you mentioning here? MGMAT strategy guides?
And, you said you made a spread sheet to note down the tougher ones and solved them over and over until you got them right. Did you copy the whole problem and paste on the spread sheet or just noted it down as OG13 problem # so and so. I found the OG problems easier, probably because I was getting 1 question wrong for every 30 questions I solved and I was quite fast.
I am preparing since May1st and I am giving my exam on Aug 1st. I have 45 days left and my score in the first practice test is 600, which I think is decent, because I am doing maths after 12 years (literally). I have a PhD in biology and have just forgotten maths for over 10 years after my school. I will be glad if you have any suggestions for me, apart from MGMAT, OG13, verbal and quant review. I am already doing the above stuffs. I consider GMAT forums as a boon, they have got awesome(tough) questions, crystal clear explanations and variety of questions.
Once again, awesome debrief and very encouraging! Hope I am one of those lucky persons like you on the test day!

Sharmila
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: UWC
Own Kudos [?]: 8803 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE:Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Congrats on making a fantastic score and kudos for such a well written, introspective debrief.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Babson '15
WE:Consulting (Accounting)
Send PM
This is among the best debriefs that I have I ever read on this forum period.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Babson '15
WE:Consulting (Accounting)
Send PM
This among the best debriefs ever posted on this forum period.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT Date: 07-21-2012
Send PM
Ha ha.. This is awesome. Congratulations and seems your hard work for the test (and also during the test) has paid off :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Send PM
AbhiJ wrote:
How many tests did you took ?

Hey Abhi,

I took every single Manhattan GMAT test except one.
I took the GMAT prep 1 maybe 2.5 times. I took the math once, skipping verbal. Took the whole thing 1x, then re-took it.

I think that's about 7 or 8 practice tests total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sharmila79 wrote:
Awesome! Awesome! Congratulations!
I have a few questions to ask with you...
You mentioned "Don't look at the advanced guides as supplementary" Which one are you mentioning here? MGMAT strategy guides?
And, you said you made a spread sheet to note down the tougher ones and solved them over and over until you got them right. Did you copy the whole problem and paste on the spread sheet or just noted it down as OG13 problem # so and so. I found the OG problems easier, probably because I was getting 1 question wrong for every 30 questions I solved and I was quite fast.
I am preparing since May1st and I am giving my exam on Aug 1st. I have 45 days left and my score in the first practice test is 600, which I think is decent, because I am doing maths after 12 years (literally). I have a PhD in biology and have just forgotten maths for over 10 years after my school. I will be glad if you have any suggestions for me, apart from MGMAT, OG13, verbal and quant review. I am already doing the above stuffs. I consider GMAT forums as a boon, they have got awesome(tough) questions, crystal clear explanations and variety of questions.
Once again, awesome debrief and very encouraging! Hope I am one of those lucky persons like you on the test day!

Sharmila

Sharmila,

Yes, the advanced guides for both Math and Verbal from MGMAT are really good. i really think the advanced title is misleading... i don't see how you could nail the fundamentals without the advanced guides. it's more like "part II" in my opinion.

OG is ordered by difficulty, so if you are doing 30 questions towards the end of the book under timed conditions you are very very solid on math. In fact, if I went back now and did the last 50 problems of OG 13 and OG 12, I'd definitely get more than 1 out of 30 wrong.

My excel sheets were all problem numbers, type of problem, source, etc. I had OG12, OG13, Quantiative Review, and also PDFs for GMAT PREP 1 DS and PS and since they all have number references, I just stuck the number there and referred the source when I needed it. For instance, towards the end of my prep I'd take 20 problems at a time and write the numbers/sources. Then I set the timer and i go to work. Once done, I'd check my answers, go over problems, and then go in my spreadsheet and try to figure out which problems i can "retire", or which problem I have to do again.

I also had a word document for Sentence Correction.. random notes here and there. I studied more for SC than anything else, and that document ended up being like 80 pages long. I even made flash cards. What did that do for me? Barely anything. I never really reviewed that document, and I only went through my flashcards like 5x ever. But for an OCD guy like myself, writing the info down is helpful since the burden to "remember" it goes away -- you know it's safely kept and retrievable anytime. I'd still suggest creating this document since it takes so little time and especially since the scope of what is covered by SC is enormous. I would say it is a reasonable amount of material for 2 college courses. Don't let that scare you off though.. test day you get 15 questions so that barely scratch the surface of the Manhattan GMAT guides.

I think you should include the Quantitative Review book (an official book) and also one of the GMAT PREP PDFs (someone posted these PDFs on this forum). GMAT PREP has a 1 and 2, each with 400 problems. I only did all the GMAT prep 1 problems for my preparation.. you can imagine just how long it would take to do 800 problems. Though if I had the time I would have done it. You have 45 days so ostensibly you could do the quantitative review and one gmat prep PDF.

I really suggest you do google searches for problems you don't understand -- CR,SC,DS,PS. If you see a reference to your problem at manhattangmat, then choose that link as priority. They have expert replies for every problem and I learned the most from reading those threads. Although you can get some good info about math problems here, if your problem is SC, then don't bother with any other forum except manhattangmat. You get a lot of wrong/poor answers/explanations on all the other forums.

I hope you get a bunch of biology related RC on your real test =). The reason RC was my strongest area is because I read scientific american and random physics books (for lay people). I have a really big interest in science overall. So you should have that advantage too.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: My Long Debrief Q49, V44, 750 AWA 5.5 [#permalink]
Hi Pinchharmonic,
Thanks so much for your clear and precise reply. I need few more clarifications (I am really bugging you now) before I stop asking questions with you. Hope you don't mind.
1. I was searching on amazon for the advanced guides (MGMAT) for both math and verbal, really got confused with the different ones out there. Could you please give me the amazon link for both these guides (Again sorry for bugging)
2. Thanks for your excel sheet details, I marked the challenging ones in OG13 book and would get back in few days. I have got to solve many many more quant questions before I start reviewing them.
3. For SC, Yes, I am making my own notes on notepad. Thanks though, for your suggestions.
4. For the books on quantitative review and verbal review from OG, please check if the following are the right ones....
https://www.amazon.com/Official-Guide-GM ... 0976570912
https://www.amazon.com/Official-Guide-GM ... 0976570920
For RC, my first practice test had three RC passages on neurodegenerative disorders, one on parkinson's, other on Alzheimer's and the third on REM sleep. I exactly work on those aspects of research. I did not even had to read the passages for answering, I can't be lucky like this on my test day :(
Again, thanks so much for your reply, it means a lot to me!

Sharmila
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Could you please send me the GMAT Prep PDFs (you said each one of them had 400 problems) to my mail id sharmilanatarajan79@gmail.com

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q39 V38
WE:General Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Kudos
Although you can search these files on the forum, I have sent the same on your mail ID.

My advice: Focus on quality rather than quantity. Wherever you go wrong, dig out the reason and make a note of mistake so that you do not repeat it again.

Manjeet
sharmila79 wrote:
Could you please send me the GMAT Prep PDFs (you said each one of them had 400 problems) to my mail id sharmilanatarajan79@gmail.com

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 279 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 590 Q45 V27
Send PM
Hi pinchharmonic,

Congratulations on an awesome score :-D and thanks to one of the best debriefs that I have read in recent times. It is the hardwork that has earned you a 750 score and luck is just a bonus, especially, considering the grueling test day conditions.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sharmila79 wrote:
Hi Pinchharmonic,
Thanks so much for your clear and precise reply. I need few more clarifications (I am really bugging you now) before I stop asking questions with you. Hope you don't mind.
1. I was searching on amazon for the advanced guides (MGMAT) for both math and verbal, really got confused with the different ones out there. Could you please give me the amazon link for both these guides (Again sorry for bugging)
2. Thanks for your excel sheet details, I marked the challenging ones in OG13 book and would get back in few days. I have got to solve many many more quant questions before I start reviewing them.
3. For SC, Yes, I am making my own notes on notepad. Thanks though, for your suggestions.
4. For the books on quantitative review and verbal review from OG, please check if the following are the right ones....
https://www.amazon.com/Official-Guide-GM ... 0976570912
https://www.amazon.com/Official-Guide-GM ... 0976570920
For RC, my first practice test had three RC passages on neurodegenerative disorders, one on parkinson's, other on Alzheimer's and the third on REM sleep. I exactly work on those aspects of research. I did not even had to read the passages for answering, I can't be lucky like this on my test day :(
Again, thanks so much for your reply, it means a lot to me!

Sharmila

I did not use the 5th edition Manhattan GMAT quantitative stuff, I used the 4th. 5th came out just a few weeks ago. Here it is on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-Quantit ... 60/ref=sr_

Sharmila, you were looking at the older OG material, these are the latest ones.
https://www.amazon.com/Official-Guide-Qu ... ive+review
https://www.amazon.com/Official-Guide-Ve ... ive+review
Manager
Manager
Send PM
manjeet1972 wrote:
Although you can search these files on the forum, I have sent the same on your mail ID.

My advice: Focus on quality rather than quantity. Wherever you go wrong, dig out the reason and make a note of mistake so that you do not repeat it again.

Manjeet
sharmila79 wrote:

Thanks!

I echo what Manjeet said. You are looking at 800 problems in those 4 documents. Unfortunately there is no easy way to tell problem type in those documents, so that's why I just did all the problems from one test.

Also, the problems are not sorted, but I did notice the last 60-70 problems are extremely difficult for GMAT PREP 1. Depending on how far along you are at math, you can decide if you are ready for those problems. For instance, I only scored a q49 but if i was in the 50/51 range, maybe those tough problems would have mattered, but i don't think I saw anything at that level on my real test unfortunately
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT Date: 06-11-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

Could you please share the name of the GMAT Prep pdf documents so that i could look for them on the forum,because just a search on those words is not bringing it up.

Thanks..
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37319 posts