Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:16 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 992 [16]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [4]
Given Kudos: 55
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Re: At a certain school with 200 students, all children must [#permalink]
I would just use two simple venn diagrams for this problem. Let's proceed

Statement 1 tells us that German only is 80. Therefore, since we know that non of the students speak 3 languages or both french and spanish we can infer that German+French and German+Spanish = 20 students. Thus, we have a total of 20 students that speak exactly two languages.

Sufficient

Statement 2, we would have the same diagram knowing that Spanish of French only represent 120 total. Therefore, since we know the grand total is 200 if we add all German + (Spanish or French) we get 220. Now, since our total is 200 and none of them speaks 3 languages them we have that exactly 2 must be equal to 20.

Sufficient

D
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Kudos
Attachment:
VennDiagram_900.gif
VennDiagram_900.gif [ 3.96 KiB | Viewed 7552 times ]

Attachment:
New Doc.jpg
New Doc.jpg [ 175.03 KiB | Viewed 7507 times ]

Thus both the statements give same information and are sufficient.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619160 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
At a certain school with 200 students, all children must [#permalink]
Expert Reply
pgmat wrote:
At a certain school with 200 students, all children must take at least one of three language classes: German, French, and Spanish. If 100 students take German and none of the students who take French also take Spanish, then how many students take exactly two of the three language classes?

(1) 80 of the students study only German.
(2) 120 students study French or Spanish

Veritas Prep Official Explanation

To deal with this type of three-set Venn Diagram problem, first create a diagram that inserts all the information given in the question stem itself. The obvious information given is the fact that there are 200 total students, of which 100 take German. Also given is the fact that there are no students taking French and Spanish together. Less obvious is the fact that there are no students taking neither of the classes (“all students must take at least one”), and there are no students taking all three languages. (If there are no students taking both French and Spanish, then there cannot be any students taking all three.)

Once this is mapped out (which is the hardest part of the problem and is shown below), it is clear that statement (1) is sufficient, because if 80 take only German, then there must be 20 students total who take only German and Spanish or only German and French. Since the question wants exactly that total, then the answer is 20, and statement (1) is sufficient. In statement (2), you learn that the total value of the French and Spanish circles is 120. Since you know that there are 200 total students and 100 students who take German, the overlap between the sets must be 20 (200 = 100 + 120 – overlap ), and this is also sufficient to answer the question. The correct answer choice is D.

Below is the information given in the question stem. This allows you to see how plugging in each statement in will allow you to solve for the sum of exactly two regions:

Attachment:
2021-01-13_13-24-44.png
2021-01-13_13-24-44.png [ 59.15 KiB | Viewed 4328 times ]
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92933 posts