Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 15:50 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 15:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.52
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, Brand Management
Schools:Schulich class of 2012
 Q35  V48
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: I'm engaged, should I mention it on my essays? [#permalink]
krussell wrote:
Would you guys be willing to attend schools in different locations? If you're dead-set on being with her at the same school, I'd probably mention it, but I also wouldn't make it sound like you two are a package deal.

I gotta say, after coming out my MBA, I'm not sure I'd want to be in any kind group work with my significant other. Even the idea of both of us doing it at the same time, in case one of us was super successful during and after the program and the other did so-so, I could see it being a problem in the future for your relationship.

Hello, thanks for the response.

We're not dead-set on being at the same school... we just want to be in the same city. If we end up in the same school I don't think of it as a problem because each of us is going to focus in different areas.

So, I should mention this situation in my essays but trying to be clear that we are open to not being in the same school?

René
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mbaqanda wrote:
This is interesting. I might be able to provide you with personalized advice.

We had a couple in our school as well.They just made sure that they were never in the same group.

Niels
MBA Q&A

Hello there....

Any information we get on this subject is be very helpful!. Do you know how did that couple talked about their relationship in the application process?

Thanks!

René
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, Brand Management
Schools:Schulich class of 2012
 Q35  V48
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
rejololo wrote:
krussell wrote:
Would you guys be willing to attend schools in different locations? If you're dead-set on being with her at the same school, I'd probably mention it, but I also wouldn't make it sound like you two are a package deal.

I gotta say, after coming out my MBA, I'm not sure I'd want to be in any kind group work with my significant other. Even the idea of both of us doing it at the same time, in case one of us was super successful during and after the program and the other did so-so, I could see it being a problem in the future for your relationship.

We're not dead-set on being at the same school... we just want to be in the same city. If we end up in the same school I don't think of it as a problem because each of us is going to focus in different areas.

So, I should mention this situation in my essays but trying to be clear that we are open to not being in the same school?

René

I would. Any dedication showing you need to be in that city shows your dedicated interest in that school, and if it's a city with two or three schools like Raleigh-Durham or Boston, then at least you have some choices. Showing a city focus still shows a school you're interested, but not just following some chick in a Legally Blonde type move.

I will reiterate though that even being together in school may not be the best idea. It is a highly stressful environment and your stream focus can change at the drop of the hat. I was gung-ho on marketing and ended specializing in media management after my internship. You never know how your learning can change your interests. Plus, there is a lot of drama in B-School, and you don't want to get yourself wrapped up that. I'm sure you're both above it and if you're committed enough to be engaged and move somewhere together, you two are obviously mature adults, but not everyone in an MBA program is.

I'm not saying don't go to B-School or even the same one, but I would think it through first.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
krussell wrote:
rejololo wrote:
krussell wrote:

René

I would. Any dedication showing you need to be in that city shows your dedicated interest in that school, and if it's a city with two or three schools like Raleigh-Durham or Boston, then at least you have some choices. Showing a city focus still shows a school you're interested, but not just following some chick in a Legally Blonde type move.

I will reiterate though that even being together in school may not be the best idea. It is a highly stressful environment and your stream focus can change at the drop of the hat. I was gung-ho on marketing and ended specializing in media management after my internship. You never know how your learning can change your interests. Plus, there is a lot of drama in B-School, and you don't want to get yourself wrapped up that. I'm sure you're both above it and if you're committed enough to be engaged and move somewhere together, you two are obviously mature adults, but not everyone in an MBA program is.

I'm not saying don't go to B-School or even the same one, but I would think it through first.

Thanks a lot for your comments, they will be taken into account. I perfectly understand your point, but as you said we're both mature adults and we know the impplications of attending b-school as a couple. We were going to apply last year to attend to b-school this year, but because of work related issues we decided to postpone it for a year, so we've had lot of time to think this through.

Thanks again for your response
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
rejololo wrote:
Hello !

I just recently got engaged and I'm getting married next year.

I'm getting ready to begin with my applications for an MBA in 2013. My fiancée already applied for the Fullbright Scholarship also for an MBA in 2013. We're both aiming for the same schools in the same cities (obviously hahaha).

I want to know the pros/cons of mentioning this on my essays. I heard that sometimes if B-Schools receive applications from married/engaged couples and that if they don't like one of the two applicants they automatically ding both of them... Is this true? What do you recommend I do? My fiancée didn't mention the engagement becuase at the time of her application to Fullbright we weren't.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Congratulations on the engagement. Now, from personal experience I would strongly suggest NOT going to the same school. Trust me, not mattering how stable your relationship is, studying in the same place will take its toll. Plus, if you go to separate schools, you will be able to enjoy the activities from both! Imagine the combo Stern-CBS, Booth-Kellogg, HBS-Sloan, ...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ducksworth wrote:

Congratulations on the engagement. Now, from personal experience I would strongly suggest NOT going to the same school. Trust me, not mattering how stable your relationship is, studying in the same place will take its toll. Plus, if you go to separate schools, you will be able to enjoy the activities from both! Imagine the combo Stern-CBS, Booth-Kellogg, HBS-Sloan, ...

Thanks... Yeah I wouldn't mind at all attending different schools as long as they are in the same city. I also wouldn't mind any of those combos you mentioned haha

Thanks for yor advice.
GMAT Club Bot