Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:09 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Verbal - need help [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi - welcome to GMAT Club.

Many people end up in your situation and there are a few ways out of it but most involve hard work.
1. You can choose to create notes - a great way to memorize content while you are writing it down (the fact of taking notes is what helps the most for your brain to process it)
2. You can slow down
3. You can take a step back and get MGMAT Verbal Foundations

Regardless of the path (would recommend making notes either in a notebook or on a computer), I would also get the MGMAT Roadmap book - it is quite helpful with similar questions and best practices.

Let me know if anything else!
BB

P.S. Keep an error log and save all the questions you get wrong.
Time your practice if you are doing it in the books.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Verbal - need help [#permalink]
Thanks for the inputs.
After I posted the message, I realized its not in the right forum category. So added one under Verbal section. Can you remove this post from this Annoucement section. I will move your reply there.

bb wrote:

Many people end up in your situation and there are a few ways out of it but most involve hard work.
1. You can choose to create notes - a great way to memorize content while you are writing it down (the fact of taking notes is what helps the most for your brain to process it)
2. You can slow down

Regardless of the path (would recommend making notes either in a notebook or on a computer), I would also get the MGMAT Roadmap book - it is quite helpful with similar questions and best practices.

BB

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Verbal - help needed [#permalink]
Thanks for the suggestion. I am definitely getting lost between the weeds.
I see the importance of Pattern recognition. I hear enough about it throughout the guide as well. I hope I get them thru practice eventually. At this point, when i see a sentence, I am spotting the error out of intuition or usage (my understanding or as how I have been using). Nothing runs thru my mind as to what I read. Every sentence carries the subject verb, linking verb etc. So Not readily able to apply what I read, but if it sounds weird I look closer. Not sure if its the correct approach or should I focus on theory (not to mention the vast rules and exceptions).

I think I am overwhelming myself. I need to take it easy and keep practicing and eventually I will get it or may work as I expect (or want it to, as its lots easier than applying theory), i.e. those that I think that are correct usage get corrected and when I read I know whats wrong and use the theory (or force my mind to remember the theory at this point alone) only where two sentences contend for correct.

Thanks again for the inputs I hope the thread helps others as well. I will update as I come out of this cloudy state.

DominateTheGMAT wrote:
Here are three useful strategies for you that should help:

1) Focus on learning the most commonly-tested points of GMAT grammar, which are Subject-Verb Agreement, Pronouns, Modifiers, Idioms, Parallel Construction, and Verb Tenses. This will narrow your focus and help you get more right answers, since these are the rules that you can expect to see most often. Don't get lost in the weeds of arcane English grammar rules that make textbook writers sound smart but that appear in less than 1% of the sentence corrections you're even likely to see;

2) Learn strategies like the "Bracketing Technique" and other methodologies for weeding out the confusing aspects of a sentence, zeroing in on exactly what you should be evaluating from a grammar standpoint, and eliminating clearly wrong answer choices. Correct methodology is as much a part of effectively tackling GMAT Sentence Corrections as are the grammar rules themselves;

3) Pattern recognition is huge! You need to teach yourself how to look at a sentence and QUICKLY recognize what major points of grammar are being testing. For example, on the first read-through of a sentence, you should have a pretty good sense of whether pronouns are at issue, or misplaced modifiers, or subject-verb agreement, etc. This is a skill that can be learned and practiced.

I hope this helps!

Originally posted by rich895 on 11 Oct 2012, 08:16.
Last edited by rich895 on 11 Oct 2012, 09:01, edited 1 time in total.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dear Rich,

I would recommend a slightly different approach. GMAT SC is now baser more on meaning rather than pure grammar. . As per OG, the Sentence Correction section tests your ability to identify a correct and effective expression to express the given meaning. (Refer page 651 and 656 in OG12). The original meaning is central to this exercise. I would recommend that you take our free trial. If you register today, you will also get an invite to a free session on "How to master GMAT SC". This session takes place on Saturday.

https://e-gmat.com/secure/register.php

Regards,

Rajat Sadana
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Rajat. Thanks for reinstating the core - Meaning emphasizing the correctness and effectiveness. Theoretical grammar can be overwhelming to remember (just from thory point and not from practical stand point). Exception on those theoretical usage doesn't make it any easy.

I have seen your other articles in this forum. Thanks for those. I will register with e-GMAT as I see the need.

egmat wrote:
Dear Rich,

I would recommend a slightly different approach. GMAT SC is now baser more on meaning rather than pure grammar. . As per OG, the Sentence Correction section tests your ability to identify a correct and effective expression to express the given meaning. (Refer page 651 and 656 in OG12). The original meaning is central to this exercise. I would recommend that you take our free trial. If you register today, you will also get an invite to a free session on "How to master GMAT SC". This session takes place on Saturday.

Regards,

Rajat Sadana
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Before posting I posted the same concern in the wrong section of the forum. I have asked the admin to move/remove.
BB responded to that thread with below response. It could help others as well.
----
Thanks BB for the precise to the point answers.
1. I am writing notes as I read the chapters. Though while writing notes I feel like I am wasting time, rewriting on another sheet what's already available in the book (I could easily underline or so). I pray/hope its of use at some point. Maybe I am jotting down too much.
2. I am seriously thinking about it. Even the mere thought is so good. When I started GMAT, I liked it, enjoyed solving math and found interesting when I found errors and learnt how to solve it. Things changed when I took SC book. Too dry and too detailed. Don't know what state I will be when I do verbal (after 2.5hrs). least I want is hastily click a choice to get over with the test. Will see. I started altering between verbal and mat chapters, to add some interest.
3. Will do so, after I feel that way, after scoring some practice problems. More I think about it, I am just a mediocre person getting lost in the cloud of detail. I think I need to read the material and reinforce my practical understanding , rather than following or trying to apply theory blindly. I probably should practically read the sentence and spot the error (where it sound weird) and see answer choice and eliminate again those that sounds wrongs and apply theory among the one that contends. I am afraid to take this approach fearing GMAT may trick me with sentence that may sound correct. May be over practice I will correct those.

I have one more question abt pace of completion. How much time do people take to complete a chapter, specifically in SC guide. I may be over pacing as BB says. I try to cram them in 1-2 sittings (usually 2-3 hr time per sitting). Is that normal. Without that I don;t see how I can be ready in 3 month time frame. I would like to have GMAT done in 3 month time frame.

Will definitely follow or take effort to make a change and post result if it helps me overcome this cloudy state.
Meanwhile, other let em know if you had been or currently here and what remedies you take.

Thanks

bb wrote:

2. You can slow down

BB

GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts