Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 01:43 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 01:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [14]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 233
Concentration: International Business, General Management
Schools: Duke '16
GPA: 3.8
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3595 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Re: 780 GMAT Debrief - Back Yourself! [#permalink]
Congrats on getting an awesome score!
Can you please answer my below queries:
What kind of questions did u encounter during the exam,especially in quant.Which topics u feel one should stress more on in quant?
Do u think the level of difficulty was the same as that of gmatprep exam?
I am finding OG13 newly added quant questions( last 30) quite difficult.Do you feel the difficulty level was thereabout?

Thanks,
Shreeraj
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
GMAT Date: 10-01-2012
Send PM
Excellent debrief! Happy apping !
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Heartiest congratulations.

I'm quite speechless at that verbal score and that jump from practice tests.

You talk about SCs, how were they on the real thing? I heard they are shorter these days and dont have a normal 2/3 splits. Any areas, which came up more than others?

Also, what about RC/CR difficulty level? comparable to MGMATs?

Best

P.S: I've come back after reading it again. It looks more unbelievable each time I look at those CAT scores. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
"Congrats on getting an awesome score!
Can you please answer my below queries:
What kind of questions did u encounter during the exam,especially in quant.Which topics u feel one should stress more on in quant?
Do u think the level of difficulty was the same as that of gmatprep exam?
I am finding OG13 newly added quant questions( last 30) quite difficult.Do you feel the difficulty level was thereabout?

Thanks,
Shreeraj"

Hi Shreeraj, thanks for the reply. With regards to the quant exam, learning how to break numbers down into their prime factors and applying this was probably the single technique I used most. There where also quite a lot of data sufficiency questions on number properties (which I hate!). There where a few geometry questions, and a least one where having the 5-12-13 triangle memorized saved me time.

It's tough to speak generally about the difficulty of the questions you can expect since the exam is adaptive. My quant score was not actually that high (Q49 = 83rd percentile), and at this level I would say the more difficult of OG where a decent representation of the tough questions asked.

Good luck.
Tom
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
jumsumtak wrote:
Heartiest congratulations.

I'm quite speechless at that verbal score and that jump from practice tests.

You talk about SCs, how were they on the real thing? I heard they are shorter these days and dont have a normal 2/3 splits. Any areas, which came up more than others?

Also, what about RC/CR difficulty level? comparable to MGMATs?

Best

P.S: I've come back after reading it again. It looks more unbelievable each time I look at those CAT scores. :)

Thanks Jumsumtak. I'm not going to claim I didn't luck out a bit here!

That said, I would refer to my earlier point about RC / CR. As far as I can tell the MGMAT and Kaplan questions that are "difficult" are for the most part just written such that they are unclear or fuzzy, often without a clear right answer. I never scored below 99th percentile on a Gmatprep or actual GMAT, but never got about 85th percentile on MGMAT almost entirely because of this. Whilst there are some hard questions in the actually exam, that caused me to go back and read the section again and again looking for the relationship or line of reasoning that was being examed, once I had found that line of reasoning, there was always very clearly 1 answer that was correct. I would say that if you are doing well on the hard questions in the OG, don't worry if you're struggling with MGMAT. I really don't think they are a good representation of how these concepts are examed in the actual exam.

With regards to SC, (and here I will give credit it MGMAT, as well as the veritas flashcards), I did see quite a few questions that had the old 3/2 spilt in there. I also remember at least a couple of questions testing the subjunctive, and quite a few on pluralism, and a few idomatic constructions being tested "As X to Y.... ect".

Good luck, hope this helps.
Tom
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GPA: 3.95
Send PM
Thanks for sharing. I especially appreciate your tips on doing an RC and CR self-assessment. It's interesting to note that your Practice Gmat scores were more indicative of your eventual performance on the official test than either Kaplan's or MGMAT's practice tests.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V34
GPA: 3.1
WE:Sales (Transportation)
Send PM
Amazing job on Verbal and very, very interesting advice about RC and CR. Immense score, well done and thanks for your debrief.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
congrats! fantastic job! I find your experience very inspirational because it, thus far, sounds similar to mine. I can only hope to have a score nearly as good as yours. I've been studying for a little over a month now, on a three-month plan, and so far my three manhattan gmat CAT scores have been 690, 650, 690, far below my target of 760. However, I took the first GMATprep this past weekend and scored a 760, also Q49 V44 (if only that were the real exam!).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 562
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
schen1119 & Tomwest,

Your posts have rekindled the hope in me..
I took MGMAT1 2 weeks ago and scored a 630 Q 40 V36. . People say Quant in Manhattan tests are really tough..

Tomwest ! hats off to you on your fantastic Verbal Score. . Verbal is really a tough thing for non natives like me. ..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Send PM
Fantastic Score! :shock:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Congrats on the great score.

Very good advise on RC and CR.
I had similar experiences while reading them from sources like Manhattan and PowerScore Bible etc. They try to give unclear and wierd explanations which cause a lot of confusion.
But that being said, it would be great if you or some other experts can point out better sources for CR and RC ( considering that the OG has a limited number of questions).
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts