Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 03:14 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 03:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1539 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 661 [0]
 Q49  V35
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats Sparky!
Finally it is done! All the best for your application process.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2413 [0]
Send PM
Well-done !! [#permalink]
Congratulations Sparky ! You were among the active responders to my posted CR's questions and were also very strong in math. Your sucess is no surprise to anybody here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
No wonder you surpassed 700 Sparky...Congratulations...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks guys :)

So those PP mock tests don't mean 100% that one is doomed ;-)
I am saying this because my biggest fear was my PP results 670 and 680, and there is a tendency that real GMAT scores will float somewhere in the vicinity of those. The preparation helped me to add 2-3 scaled points on math and 3-5 scaled points on verbal. The biggest improvement was on my verbal - my weakest area.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats sparrky and good luck as you apply. I hope you'd still hang around and participate in forum discussions :lol:
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hello Sparky

Congratulations for that score. Thanks for that detailed note.

I am glad the challenges helped. I am happy that the percentile on a number of challenges is close to what you got in your Quant section.

As always, the best way to thank this forum and the hard working people who participate is to give back, participate and contribute in whatever way you can.

Praetorian
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Congratulations, Sparky [#permalink]
Thanks for sharing your GMAT experience. Wish you best luck in your applications! :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
congratulations sparky!!!!!!

well done. you did it with fantastic score. gr8 job....
all the best......
himalaya
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Awesome score Sparky. Time to party. :musband Best Wishes for the application process.

Please let me know the name of the LSAT book you used for verbal. Also let us know about how you prepared the essays.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
congrats sparky..

any 'solids' problems on the exam? series (arithematic or geometric)? calender? coordinate geometry? median/average? and what's the level of difficulty of these, if any?

thanks..
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
[#permalink]
awsome sparky....amazing....you deserve it

please stick around we need your expertise...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 198 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Awesome score sparky ! congrats !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Dan wrote:
congrats sparky..

any 'solids' problems on the exam? series (arithematic or geometric)? calender? coordinate geometry? median/average? and what's the level of difficulty of these, if any?

thanks..

I don't remember seeing any of those.

most of the problems on math were Kaplan level, only few were more difficult. However, none of the problems took me more 2.5 -3 min to solve, one problem took me close to 4 min but only because of lots of calculations. I didn't have to guess on any of them, although some of them I sure answered wrong.

I never lingered on a problem, and moved on quickly, without giving second thoughts to problems that were behind me. At the same time I never took a single problem lightly and gave each problem equal respect, no matter how easy they were or looked.

I think my "i-don't-give-a-damn" and "let's-get-it-over-with-quickly" attitude helped me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sparky,

which LSAT CR book did you use? Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
AJB77 wrote:
Sparky,

which LSAT CR book did you use? Thanks

Let me think ...
as far as books are concerned - I do loath Kaplan GMAT 2005 with CD and Kaplan GMAT 800 for cheating and ripping off the customers. Instead of writing new questions for each book, they use duplicate questions and sell them to you twice in different books and CD's.
Kaplan CD is packed with questions from Kaplan GMAT 800 . :evil:
Also they don't even bother to include enough questions on a CD in order to equally support all CAT tests they offer and all practice excercises.
I did 3 first CATS and when I tried to do the 4th one, the computer program politely told me to @^%* off because it didn't have enough questions in the reserves.
Also, a lot of hard questions on Kaplan CATS are taken directly from Kaplan GMAT 800.
I mean - what is it? and I have to spend $100 on this kind of books?
I respect ETS publications in that sense - they at least clearly state that questions in their PP software, OG, and paper tests overlap and by how much.

ok, now back to your questions, AJ, sorry I just had to vent.
I got those books from the library. So they weren't up to date
Arco LSAT (late 90's edition), good RC passages, long, informative, GMAT type
100 Official LSAT questions (or something like that, 90's edition) - has total of 300 real LSAT questions (no explnations) - good CR's, ok RC's - long but easy, very much watered down, not really packed with info.
and Kaplan LSAT 2005 - as you might expect some CR's are from Kaplan GMAT 800, RC's passages - impossible as usual. At times I think Kaplan gets its passages by using a computer program that randomly picks words from a Webster dictionary.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi sparky,
Congrats for your awesome achievement!Last month I took GMAT
but could mop up only 510(41Q,19V).I feel utterly depressed.I've just found this forum & overwhelmed by its content; I'm also greatly moved by your achievement.Can you guide me in following fields,
1)I'm a full time worker.I can spend max 20 hrs in 7 days . From today onwards when should I schedule my 2nd attempt?(I'm now eyeing for GMAT only,regardless of admission itinerary).
2)Should I take it by 2005,otherwise ACT may change the test pattern FOLLOWED BY ETS
3) I've got these materials
KAPLAN2005 +CD
PR2005+CD
KAP800
PR VERBAL(JUST PURCHSED)
PROF DAVE BOOK+CD
OG(LAST TIME I GOT THIS 5 DAYS PRIOR TO MY TEST)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
BULLdoser wrote:
Hi sparky,
Congrats for your awesome achievement!Last month I took GMAT
but could mop up only 510(41Q,19V).I feel utterly depressed.I've just found this forum & overwhelmed by its content; I'm also greatly moved by your achievement.Can you guide me in following fields,
1)I'm a full time worker.I can spend max 20 hrs in 7 days . From today onwards when should I schedule my 2nd attempt?(I'm now eyeing for GMAT only,regardless of admission itinerary).
2)Should I take it by 2005,otherwise ACT may change the test pattern FOLLOWED BY ETS
3) I've got these materials
KAPLAN2005 +CD
PR2005+CD
KAP800
PR VERBAL(JUST PURCHSED)
PROF DAVE BOOK+CD
OG(LAST TIME I GOT THIS 5 DAYS PRIOR TO MY TEST)

hey Bulldoser,

I would give it at least 3 months of preparation time until your next test if you want to move to upper 600's, or 700's

Browse this forum, there are a lot of materials here, both in download form or discussions. There is also lots of great preparation advice here, check out CMAT forum for instance.

I am familiar only with OG and Kaplan, and they are good for GMAT preparation, OG is the bible of GMAT.

Study Kaplan 2005, don't do the tests yet, except maybe for the paper one
Take 2 PowerPrep tests (free ETS CATS you can download from https://www.mba.com)
Go thru OG, read all the explanations - this is really necessary if you want to learn how GMAT works.

then you can do Kaplan 800, LSAT CR's and CR's - very important, and other thing that you might find necessary as you go.

You migh not want to schedule the test right now. Study Kaplan 2005, and after doing PP CATs and Kaplan paper test schedule the real GMAT, relying on the feeling of how much more time you will need to prepare.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts