Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:32 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: Help with Quant question [#permalink]
Expert Reply
onedergyal wrote:
thanks for the reply! i just noticed that there was a response... Here is where I'm lost
I get that in a 30/60/90 triangle that the angle across from 60 is (x root 3)... so since that value is 4, I set 4 = to x root 3, then solve for x... so the length of that side is (4/root3.. and since root3 is in the demonimator.. its 4root3? NO!) , so X =4, and 2x =8? NO!

When you divide by a root, you need to rationalize the denominator. This means you have to multiply both the numerator and the denominator by that root, so that the product in the denominator produces an integer. Rationalizing the denominator is a very important procedure to understand for GMAT math. It is absolutely 100% false that 4/sqrt(3) is the same as, or anything even vaguely related to, 4*sqrt(3). Furthermore, the sqrt(3)'s do not simply cancel and disappear. Rather
Attachment:
four over root three.JPG
four over root three.JPG [ 11.92 KiB | Viewed 1526 times ]

That cannot be simplified any further. That expression on the right is the absolutely simplest mathematical form in which we can write this value. Since this is what x is, 2x would be twice this ------ 8*sqrt(3)/3
Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Help with Quant question [#permalink]