Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Marketing, Entreprenurship
Schools:Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
 Q50  V28 GMAT 2: 730  Q51  V40
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Destroyed the GMAT with 770 : Strategies & Advice Inside [#permalink]
gauravdangi wrote:
Hey foofighter,
can you please elaborate what was your RC strategy ? Did you use the skimming strategy or did you read the entire passage carefully ? I mean struggling with RC big time and need help

I think shovitdhar has already addressed your query. There's only one key to do well on reading comprehension-practice. There are hardly any concepts-once you know the basic strategy to tackle different types of questions and know the basic strategies on how to read a passage strategically, then it's a function of how much you practice.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Awesome score and even more awesome tips! Thanks a lot. I think that you'll land up with great scholarships at most schools with this huge a score
Manager
Manager
Send PM
gauravdangi wrote:
Awesome score and even more awesome tips! Thanks a lot. I think that you'll land up with great scholarships at most schools with this huge a score

Thank you very much. All the best to you too!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Great strategies and tips foofighter. Can you please suggest some resources for RC practice. I have completed the RCs from OG13 but yet my accuracy is still at 50% . I have improved but not as much as I want to
Manager
Manager
Send PM
unclesam2013 wrote:
Great strategies and tips foofighter. Can you please suggest some resources for RC practice. I have completed the RCs from OG13 but yet my accuracy is still at 50% . I have improved but not as much as I want to

I'd recommend you to use the non overlapping passages in OG12. i think there are a couple of them. You may also want to practice from Aristotle RC Practice sets . Good for practice I think
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Great posts and great score. I have especially tried to focus on the third point below during my prep and hope to see a score like yours on my GMAT that is in a couple of days.
Quote:
" The cardinal rule which I learnt early on is that "if you don't learn anything new from a question, that means you have wasted your time and effort".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
Okay. I have two questions. Firstly, how many questions should I get correct to do get a 98th/99th on the GMAT ? And secondly, does it actually matter to schools whether you get a 730 or 760 ? I mean above 720, does it actually matter ?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Congrats on the gr8 score..... This post is really helpful.....

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FuzzyLogic wrote:
Okay. I have two questions. Firstly, how many questions should I get correct to do get a 98th/99th on the GMAT ? And secondly, does it actually matter to schools whether you get a 730 or 760 ? I mean above 720, does it actually matter ?

No frankly speaking beyond 720-730, it does not matter to the top schools what your GMAT score is. The lower rung schools care about it though and will give schols to those with high GMAT scores as this helps them in taking up the average GMAT scores of their schools
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
foofighter5 wrote:

No frankly speaking beyond 720-730, it does not matter to the top schools what your GMAT score is. The lower rung schools care about it though and will give schols to those with high GMAT scores as this helps them in taking up the average GMAT scores of their schools

But given all the other parameters between two candidates equal, wouldn't a school select someone with a higher GMAT score. I'm sure a high GMAT score in this case will help you a lot in getting through the school
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

I am lagging in verbal section, as I had given 2 Manhattan practice tests but was able to score 550-600 only with Verbal -27 and Quant - 42 . I need help n guidance in verbal section. Please guide me how to improve SC & CR. If any trick or strategy needs to be implemented then let me know.

Thanks

Omkar
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
omkarnath30 wrote:
Hi,

I am lagging in verbal section, as I had given 2 Manhattan practice tests but was able to score 550-600 only with Verbal -27 and Quant - 42 . I need help n guidance in verbal section. Please guide me how to improve SC & CR. If any trick or strategy needs to be implemented then let me know.

Thanks

Omkar

I think that going from 27 to say 40 on Verbal would require more than just tricks. you'll need to prepare very holistically to score well..After a lot of struggle, I have been able to reach 41 on my last practice CAT..Had to put a lot of effort
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
GPA: 3.86
Send PM
congrats on the great score.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
foofighter5 wrote:
3. The cardinal rule which I learnt early on is that "if you don't learn anything new from a question, that means you have wasted your time and effort".

4. In reading comprehension, figure out what works for you. Skimming, for example, didn't work for me. This is in contrast to what most instructors suggest. You have to understand the passage properly to be able to do the questions correct.

Great advices. Skimming strategy doesn't work for me too. I simply don't remember anything if i read a passage too fast.. But how do I go about implementing your point number 3. How do I make the best out of the questions ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
FuzzyLogic wrote:
Great advices. Skimming strategy doesn't work for me too. I simply don't remember anything if i read a passage too fast.. But how do I go about implementing your point number 3. How do I make the best out of the questions ?

My strategy is to finish a passage in 2-3 minutes. Given that most passages around 350 words, I think you should be able to finish them in 2 minutes without having to rush. If you read them very fast, you will miss out on a lot of info.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
russianaspirant wrote:
My strategy is to finish a passage in 2-3 minutes. Given that most passages around 350 words, I think you should be able to finish them in 2 minutes without having to rush. If you read them very fast, you will miss out on a lot of info.

True. This is again something that i learnt with experience that one shouldn't read too fast. One should read at a speed at which you are able to comprehend stuff well. Beyond that, you will only end up getting the questions wrong as you would have hardly understood anything
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4 
Moderator:
Founder
37312 posts