Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:42 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [18]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [10]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [2]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 497 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE:Consulting (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: Hose A runs at a constant rate and can fill a 11,000 gallon [#permalink]
Hose A runs at a constant rate and can fill a 11,000 gallon pool in 44 hours. How much less time would it take to fill the pool if Hose A and Hose B ran simultaneously at their respective constant rates?

(1) Both Hose A and Hose B can fill the same fraction of the pool in one hour. This means they both have same rates
(2) It takes Hose B twice as long to fill the pool as it takes Hose A and Hose B running simultaneously to fill the pool. Higher efficiency means lower no. of hrs i.e. twice efficiency means 1/2 the time required to fill i.e. 22 hrs. Now, we can find time taken by both A &B then can subtract
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [2]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V35
Kudos
shreerajp99 wrote:
Hose A runs at a constant rate and can fill a 11,000 gallon pool in 44 hours. How much less time would it take to fill the pool if Hose A and Hose B ran simultaneously at their respective constant rates?

(1) Both Hose A and Hose B can fill the same fraction of the pool in one hour.
(2) It takes Hose B twice as long to fill the pool as it takes Hose A and Hose B running simultaneously to fill the pool.

"(1) Both Hose A and Hose B can fill the same fraction of the pool in one hour."

This seems poorly worded to me. Why does the word "can" imply equivalent work rate? To me this means Hose B will the fill the 11,000 gallon pool IN AT LEAST 44 hours, thus Hose B rate is greater than or equal to Hose A rate. Just because Hose B CAN fill the pool at the same rate, doesn't mean that it WILL.

I chose B.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [1]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
WpackAlumDukeBound wrote:
shreerajp99 wrote:

(1) Both Hose A and Hose B can fill the same fraction of the pool in one hour.
(2) It takes Hose B twice as long to fill the pool as it takes Hose A and Hose B running simultaneously to fill the pool.

"(1) Both Hose A and Hose B can fill the same fraction of the pool in one hour."

This seems poorly worded to me. Why does the word "can" imply equivalent work rate? To me this means Hose B will the fill the 11,000 gallon pool IN AT LEAST 44 hours, thus Hose B rate is greater than or equal to Hose A rate. Just because Hose B CAN fill the pool at the same rate, doesn't mean that it WILL.

I chose B.

The question clearly states " ... Hose A and Hose B ran simultaneously at their respective constant rates?"

which means that hose A and hose B have their own constant rates at which they work. 'can' only implies that 'hose is able to complete this much work in this much time running at its constant rate'

On the same lines, you could also argue that 'Hose A runs at a constant rate and can fill a 11,000 gallon pool in 44 hours.' in the question talks about one possible rate of hose A but you are given that it runs at a constant rate.

I think you are reading too much in the word 'can'.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 125
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
shreerajp99 wrote:

1.Both Hose A and Hose B can fill the same fraction of the pool in one hour.
2.It takes Hose B twice as long to fill the pool as it takes Hose A and Hose B running simultaneously to fill the pool.

The concepts being tested here are:

1. Rates are additive. Rate of work of A and B working together is the sum of rates of A and B. i.e.
Rate of work of A = R_A
Rate of work of B = R_B
Rate of work of both A and B working together = R_A + R_B

2. Work done = Rate * Time taken
So if A and B do the same work, R_A*T_A = R_B*T_B
R_A/R_B = T_B/T_A
Ratio of their rates will be inverse of ratio of their time taken.

We are given the work done and time taken for hose A so we can find the rate of work for Hose A. (which is 11000/44 = 250 gallons/hr just for clarity)
To find the time taken when both hoses work together, we need to find their combined rate of work. Hence we need to know the rate of work of Hose B too.

1.Both Hose A and Hose B can fill the same fraction of the pool in one hour.
This tells us that their rate of work is the same. Rate of work of hose B = 250 gallons/hr too. When they work together, they will take half the usual time so they will take 22 hrs i.e. 22 hrs less. Sufficient.

2.It takes Hose B twice as long to fill the pool as it takes Hose A and Hose B running simultaneously to fill the pool.
Time taken by B = 2*Time taken together
Rate of B = 1/2 * Rate of working together (since ratio of rates is inverse)
So Rate of B = Rate of A
This boils down to statement 1 and hence is sufficient too.

Answer (D)

Hi Karishma ,

I have 1 doubt how Rb = 1/2 (Ra + Rb) converts to Rb = Ra in next step. (I dont think any where Rb+Ra= 2 Ra is given anywhere in prompt).
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92948 posts