Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:02 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: Urgent Help from a disillusioned law student [#permalink]
I'll try to answer these in order:

Would I be handicapped applying this late?
Yes. Seeing as you haven't taken the GMAT yet and most schools deadlines are in March and April, you don't want to throw together an application just for the sake of getting it in. Also, at the last round, it's a crap shoot since a lot of students have already put deposits down and schools are picking and choosing to fill out their class. If they're short on veterans, sure, they might take you, but if they feel like they have enough, they probably won't take you.

Where can I get in?

Really broad question. Given your GPA and USMC experience, I would say if you can get a 700+ on your GMAT, nothing is off the table - from there it'll be all about executing your pitch, because your profile will be there. I would aim for top 15 schools.

I know a good bit about finance, but I have 0 background in it. How does that work, generally? I know this is a broad question.

I know nothing about finance. Next question.

With my above stats, would I be able to get a job on wall street for 1 year prior to MBA?
That's a tough one...I don't know, but I doubt it. Have you considered using a head hunter like Lucas Group?

WHAT SHOULD I DO?
Believe it or not, dropping out is a viable option, especially since you're a veteran and you've decided this isn't for you. Don't waste any more time on this if you don't have to, plus, if you're eligible for the 9/11 GI Bill, you don't want to use to much prior to the MBA.

If I were in your position, I'd use a head hunter to secure a job that's relevant to your USMC experience...don't worry about getting a finance job, that's what the MBA is for, right? Get something to be a gap between now and the fall. Crush the GMAT, then get ready to roll in Round 1...deadlines are in October, HBS has theirs in September. Make contacts with former bosses in the USMC. Chances are if you land a job that employer won't be too keen on recommending you for an MBA, so you may want to line up two former supervisors just in case.

Best of luck!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Could you enroll in the JD/MBA program next year? Given that you haven't taken your GMAT yet, you are way too late to the game to enter Fall 2013, so you'd be looking at starting in Fall 2014.

Plus, to get into business school, you need to know what you want to do, or at least be able to convince the adcom that you do. At this point, it just sounds like you know what you don't want to do: law. The reason I bring this up is this: if you decide you'd like to break into consulting, you can recruit for positions with a JD, too. Since you said you go to a "top-5 law school," I'm going to assume you either go to Columbia, Chicago, or NYU. Among those schools, NYU has the weakest business school, but I'm pretty sure all consulting firms recruit on campus there, too.

Even if you can't get into the JD/MBA program, you may have a shot at a career in business with a JD. Otherwise, yes, there's always the option of dropping out.

Edit: The above line of thinking is (obviously) based on the assumption that you would be interested in consulting. I don't know anything about finance recruiting with a JD, though. If you're sure you want to do finance, it may be true that dropping out is your best path forward as my man CobraKai already touched on.
Director
Director
Send PM
When I interviewed at Tuck, I met a guy who was a first year at Harvard Law applying to do a JD/MBA with Tuck. That program was going to take 4 years. Even in a 3 year JD/MBA, you sacrifice your MBA electives in order to finish the JD, so it should be viewed as getting the JD with some business education, vice having an MBA with some law education. I'd personally rather do an MBA in 2 years with the classes I want to take, and I get the vibe that the OP does too.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
There have been a few recent threads on the topic of law school to bschool or JD/MBA. Hope these help!

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
Your headline made me think of this article in today's NYTimes: https://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/11/us/la ... wyers.html
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
I hate to heap on the dog pile, but... this too: https://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc ... be/272729/

Seriously though, OP, I think you need to schedule a meeting with your law school advisor and an advisor at the business school. They can probably give you more actionable advice than we can (although we love to help).
GMAT Club Bot