Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 21:10 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 21:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64956 [2]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64956 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation Request: GMAT 650 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
rohpan22 wrote:
Hi Karishma, thank you so much for your prompt response - I appreciate it. I am definitely thinking of giving it again.

With almost all the top 20 schools accepting GRE scores, I'm contemplating if it worth giving the GRE instead. What do you think?

You can switch to GRE if you feel there is value for you in it. Before you decide either way, think of the following things:
1. Are you more comfortable with the GRE pattern? (Vocab based Verbal and higher level but less tricky Quant)
2. Have you tried a practice test and found that you score better?
3. If yes, then why did you not opt for GMAT in the first place?
4. Was it because GMAT is still considered the test of choice for B-schools? (if yes, then nothing has changed for you to change your belief)

My point is this: Schools do accept GRE scores too now but they have forever accepted GMAT scores. GMAT has a proven track record of predicting academic success at B schools. GRE still needs to prove its predictive capabilities. It is possible that given two high scores - one in GMAT and other in GRE, the adcom will go the tried and tested route (This is opinion and speculation. Human behavior is not always predictable and admission decision is taken by people. Hence we can only speculate.)

If you feel you will score much higher in GRE as compared with GMAT, then there is certainly value in taking GRE. A high GRE score is more valuable than an average GMAT score (considering the schools to which you will apply). But mind you, hard work will be required in either case.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Answering your questions provided me with the answer to my question. I did opt for the GMAT initially because I was not aware that most of the top schools now-a-days consider GRE scores too.

A few points for the GRE vs GMAT delima -

1. NUS does not accept GRE scores & Duke says they "prefer" the GMAT over the GRE.
2. Also, from what I hear, certain employers have a 700 GMAT "cut-off" during placements.
3. I did give a practice GRE exam & I realize that studying separately for the verbal vocabulary is another caveat.

I guess that settles it. Just wanted to explore my options before retaking the GMAT. Thank you for your insights.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Hi! First, you need to evaluate what led you to this GMAT score, since obviously, you are a good student.

Also, Duke has waived the standardised test requirements, this session, fyi. Ross, Emory and Kellogg are excellent picks, but I'd have a different university list, for your specific targets. More like Dartmouth, Carlson, Marshall's

rohpan22 wrote:
Hello,

I recently gave my GMAT and scored a 650. Can you please help me evaluate profile & recommend if I should retake the GMAT?

Profile:
-GMAT 650: V31, Q47
-Indian male, 5 yrs experience till date; currently working at A T Kearney (management consulting) as a senior analyst
-Co-director of National Association of Asian American Professionals (NAAAP), Led 6 for a Community Consulting Team project (Atlanta), Volunteer tutor (math) at Police Athletic League, Chicago Lights & Junior Achievement
-Master in Industrial Engineering from Georgia Tech (GPA 3.1), Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering from India (GPA: 3.5)
-Primary target: Ross, Duke, Emory, Kellogg
-Amateur dragon boat paddler, tennis & running

Thank you in advance for your help! :-D
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
rohpan22 wrote:
Hello,

I recently gave my GMAT and scored a 650. Can you please help me evaluate profile & recommend if I should retake the GMAT?

Profile:
-GMAT 650: V31, Q47
-Indian male, 5 yrs experience till date; currently working at A T Kearney (management consulting) as a senior analyst
-Co-director of National Association of Asian American Professionals (NAAAP), Led 6 for a Community Consulting Team project (Atlanta), Volunteer tutor (math) at Police Athletic League, Chicago Lights & Junior Achievement
-Master in Industrial Engineering from Georgia Tech (GPA 3.1), Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering from India (GPA: 3.5)
-Primary target: Ross, Duke, Emory, Kellogg
-Amateur dragon boat paddler, tennis & running

Thank you in advance for your help! :-D

Hi rohpan22

You've already got the GMAT bit. While you're at it, try and aim for a 720+, and look at some top 10 options as well (Tuck, Kellogg, for example). Assuming that you want to continue in consulting post-MBA as well.
GMAT Club Bot