Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 13:52 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 13:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 560 Q43 V25
GPA: 3.53
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Director
Director
Status:My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [3]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Shell Shocked and Numb with Disbelief [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi positiveretaker,

First the bad news, which you already know: Your score is an accurate reflection of your performance on test day. Asking to have your test re-scored isn't going to make a difference.

But as your name suggests, you can stay positive about re-taking! It's clear from your practice tests that you can do better. You did too well on too many reliable exams to believe that all of them were just mistakes or flukes.

It's hard to make suggestions on how to avoid the test-day stress that clearly set you back so far on your real exam. From the description you've given, it sounds like you did everything right--practicing regularly but not so intensely that you were exhausted, taking a day off before the real thing, maintaining a healthy exercise schedule, etc. The only suggestion I have is this: speak up if there is a problem! The proctors may be able to adjust or turn off the air conditioning if it's really bothersome. you don't have to "tell yourself to shut up" just because the thing that's distraction you is, in your opinion, minor. If it's a distraction, it's a distraction. There's no harm in letting the staff know, and they might even be able to fix it.

Best of luck, and keep up the good work.

Regards,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Positiveretaker,

I'm not sure where you went wrong, but I would take it over if I were you. I took all the MGMAT practice exams as well and didn't do nearly as good as you on them, but managed a meager 660 (47Q, 34V) on the actual GMAT exam. I never got higher than a 43Q on the practice exam.

To me, the quant on MGMAT was significantly harder than that on the actual exam, and I feel that actually helped me on the real exam. Going through those tough problems made the actual quant section seem like a breeze. I feel MGMAT's weak point is its verbal section.

The GMATPrep is also a good indicator of how you'll do, and you did well on your second take of it, so I guess I would attribute your actual exam score to nerves and letting that AC get to you. I would think you would be able to get at least a 700 based on your practice exams. My scores on the GMATPrep exams were only 590 and 620. Think positively and focus more while taking your next exam.

Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
essay snark : Thank you so much dude for all the positive words. I am really sure i can do it and though painful enough m putting the bad experience behind me and moving ahead with positive lessons taken from the first GMAT. Thanks much for all the good words u put in :). Yup 5-6 blocks of chocolate did help eventually :) :P
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Prateekbhatt : thank you so much for the encouraging words, yup m back on my feet and will start practice with better focus and dedication, decided to take some time off though for now. Thank you so much again :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Eli Meyer : Yeah, i finnaly understood that the score was obvioulsy my reflection of how i did on the test day. :( :). Well this time m going to fend off the GMAT and the damned air-conditioning as well. Thank you for your response. It did help me back on my feet :) :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
youngkacha : First off Congratulations on your score. :) Its a good one seeing that you scored more on the main exam than on the practice ones. Mine is a real bad experience, but heck yeah i've got to move on, thank you for your response, will focus more positively and hopefully will do it right this time around :)
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
positiveretaker wrote:
essay snark : Thank you so much dude for all the positive words. I am really sure i can do it and though painful enough m putting the bad experience behind me and moving ahead with positive lessons taken from the first GMAT. Thanks much for all the good words u put in :). Yup 5-6 blocks of chocolate did help eventually :) :P
You definitely have the right attitude!! Can't wait to hear your success story later on when you nail this thing!!!

Good luck!
EssaySnark
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts