Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 16:20 It is currently 09 May 2024, 16:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6059 [27]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [11]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q41 V29
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V20
GPA: 3.5
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [4]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 10-31-2013
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6059 [1]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Re: Trains A and B left stations R and S simultaneously on two s [#permalink]
Kudos
@shameekv great explanation... regarding the inference the latter portion of the question says they passed each other. so they are travelling towards each other.

How many miles of the rail tracks had train A travelled when the two trains passed each other?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q41 V29
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V20
GPA: 3.5
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
fozzzy wrote:
@shameekv great explanation... regarding the inference the latter portion of the question says they passed each other. so they are travelling towards each other.

How many miles of the rail tracks had train A travelled when the two trains passed each other?

Thanks!! I am not sure if you are asking me that question. Well A would have traveled 200 miles and B would have traveled 150 miles when the 2 trains passed each other as is derived in my post.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Question should be reworded somehow to explicitly confirm that the parallel tracks' endpoints are R and S. From the statement you can only assume that one track starts at R, and one track starts at S and that they are parallel. It could be the case that the distance between R and S < 350 miles, so the track starting at S ends at a station beyond R, and the track starting at R ends at a station beyond S (I totally thought that was the trap in this question)
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22179 [0]
Given Kudos: 285
Send PM
Expert Reply
fozzzy wrote:
Trains A and B left stations R and S simultaneously on two seperate parallel rail tracks that are 350 miles long. The trains passed each other at point X after travelling for a certain amount of time. How many miles of the rail tracks had train A travelled when the two trains passed each other?

1) up to point X, the average speed of train B was 25% less than the average speed of train A.
2) up to point X, the average speed of train B was 60 mph and it took two and a half hours for train B to arrive at point X.

Since we have a converging problem, we can use the formula distance of train A + distance of train B = 350. Since both trains left the station at the same time, we can let each time = t.

Statement One Alone:

Up to point X, the average speed of train B was 25% less than the average speed of train A.

We can let the rate of train A = r and the rate of train B = 0.75r. We see that the distance of train A = rt and the distance of train B = 0.75rt. Thus:

rt + 0.75rt = 350

1.75rt = 350

rt = 200

Since rt = the distance for train A, train A had traveled 200 miles by the time it reached point X.

Statement one alone is sufficient to answer the question.

Statement Two Alone:

Up to point X, the average speed of train B was 60 mph and it took two and a half hours for train B to arrive at point X.

Thus, train B travelled 60 x 2.5 = 150 miles when it reached point X. Recall that distance of train A + distance of train B = 350; train A must have travelled 200 miles by the time it reached point X.

Statement two alone is sufficient to answer the question.

Answer: D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
fozzzy wrote:
Trains A and B left stations R and S simultaneously on two seperate parallel rail tracks that are 350 miles long. The trains passed each other at point X after travelling for a certain amount of time. How many miles of the rail tracks had train A travelled when the two trains passed each other?

1) up to point X, the average speed of train B was 25% less than the average speed of train A.
2) up to point X, the average speed of train B was 60 mph and it took two and a half hours for train B to arrive at point X.

I think this question is flawed, it doesn't state if the trains are traveling in opposite directions. Before looking at the answers they way the question is stated opens a number of different scenarios, such as the trains travelling in the same direction without constant rates. An official question would never be stated like this, and I think a well done question should stick to official question rules.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7653 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
Distance between R and S is given as 350miles.

Statement 1:
Average speed of B was 25% less than Average speed of A
Average Speed of A = Sa
Average Speed of B= Sb
Sb= Sa – 25% of Sa
Sb= Sa-1/4 Sa
Sb = (3/4) * Sa
Sa/Sb=4/3
Since the time taken by each train to reach meeting point X from starting point being the same.
Distance travelled will be in the same ratio as Speed i.e., 4:3
D1= S1*T Distance = Speed * time
D2 = S2*T
Since T is constant, D1/D2 = S1/S2
So, in this case, Da/Db= 4/3

Distance travelled by A= Da= (4/7) *350=200 miles
Hence Statement 1 alone is Sufficient

Statement 2:
The average speed of train B was 60 mph and time taken to reach meeting point is given as 2.5 hrs
Distance travel led by Train B to reach point X = 60* 2.5 = 150 miles.
So, Distance travelled by A = 350-150=200 miles
Hence Statement 2 alone is sufficient

Option D is the answer.

Thanks,
Clifin J Francis,
GMAT SME
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 828 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
93124 posts