Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 00:48 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 00:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Chet - nice job! How long after your 1st test did you take your 2nd one? I scored a miserable 470 on my first attempt this week but am determined to conquer the beast; I know I can score at least 550+.

What LSAT book did you use for RC and CR? Also, what primary book did you use for PS and DS - OG 10th edition?

Thanks and congratulations again! I hope to post something similar in the coming months.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
[#permalink]
awsome....please tell us what you did different from your first attempt..and please hang around the board.....we need you...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 932 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats, that's an awesome score and I'm sure you must be thrilled at the jump! Your story is truly inspiring.

I think you made an excellent point about the importance of learning the concepts. So many people come on here and ask about how they can truly improve their scores; what prep materials to use, what practice tests to take and what problems to do. All of that is well and good. But there's no substitute for learning and truly understanding the underlying concepts. You can practise a zillion problems on SC, for example, but if you don't know the basic rules of English grammar, it won't do a whit of good. Better to study the concepts and then do practice problems and tests.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
CONGRATS !!!! :beer

thats really inspiring for sum1 like me SCORING in early 500's :-D

I am working on my concepts....

But HATS OFF TO YOU CHET !!!!

HARDWORK , DETERMINATION AND DEDICATION HAS PAID OFF..!!!!

( "From 530 to 710(Q45 V41)! I'm a believer!" )

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR APPLICATIONS !! :gl

I AM GOING TO FIGHT BACK :wall
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
ValleyBall1 wrote:
Chet - nice job! How long after your 1st test did you take your 2nd one? I scored a miserable 470 on my first attempt this week but am determined to conquer the beast; I know I can score at least 550+.

What LSAT book did you use for RC and CR? Also, what primary book did you use for PS and DS - OG 10th edition?

Thanks and congratulations again! I hope to post something similar in the coming months.

ValleyBall1 and Freshina, I actually took a different approach then many on this web site. You often hear of people taking only a month or two (maybe less) and then giving the test another shot. Well, first off it took me awhile to shake off the first disappointment. After some "soul searching," I decided that next time I take the test I would have no doubts about my success. I also decided not to set a date for the test. I just studied until I felt confident, and then scheduled the test 4 days later. I would have scheduled it sooner if there was an availability. Total time between tests was 1.5 years. I realized that there is so much hype surrounding this test and that in the first test the hype really affected me. I didn't want a "G date" looming in the future to distract me etc.

In regard to your question about the LSAT books, there are two books (one orange and one blue) that contain previous official LSAT tests. The titles are "LSAT Super Prep" and "10 Actual, Official LSAT Prep Tests." They are published by LSAC and are invaluable. Also, these questions are as hard as you'll find so when you get to the real test, it will be a walk in the park. I used many different sources for DS and PS. If I could recommend one or two, they would be Kaplan (CAT tests primarily and GMAT 800), and last 200 or so problems in the 10ed of OG. Once you have a good foundation start practicing with the harder stuff (i.e. GMAT club challenges). Your study should be like building a house - you can't build the tapestries (hard problems) before you lay a solid foundation (math basics). Also, realize that Quality is much better than quantity. When you take practice tests etc., analyze them after you finish. Figure out why you answered the way you did on the questions you got right and figure out what you did wrong on the questions you missed. This is vital!

Hope this helps. Let me know how everything is going.

Originally posted by chet719 on 02 Oct 2005, 08:15.
Last edited by chet719 on 02 Oct 2005, 08:25, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
coffeeloverfreak wrote:
Congrats, that's an awesome score and I'm sure you must be thrilled at the jump! Your story is truly inspiring.

I think you made an excellent point about the importance of learning the concepts. So many people come on here and ask about how they can truly improve their scores; what prep materials to use, what practice tests to take and what problems to do. All of that is well and good. But there's no substitute for learning and truly understanding the underlying concepts. You can practise a zillion problems on SC, for example, but if you don't know the basic rules of English grammar, it won't do a whit of good. Better to study the concepts and then do practice problems and tests.

Coffeeloverfreak, I couldn't have said it better. Congrats on your great score.

To all, if you want to learn how to conquer the GMAT, read Coffeeloverfreaks posts. They are high quality.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 932 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
*Awwww* I'm blushing :oops: :oops: :oops:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey Chet,

Congrats on the score!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Chet,

Congrats and well done!
It's an awesome score you've got and a really nice inspiring story of yours.

Best luck with your applications!!!!

:beer

Cheers

macca
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 992 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats dude,

That's really cool...

Good luck for the apps process :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 660 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulations Chet. We knew you would beat the test looking at your wonderful explanations here in forums.

- Regarding your point about back-solving, I am not comfortable with it. However, in recent practice tests, I was severely out of timings and during analysis I thought maybe I should start practicing backsolving. What do you suggest. Is it possible to attempt all questions with traditional method?

- also, did you encounter problems in any unusual area which we do not discuss here?

All the best for your app.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Duttsit, Don't get me wrong, backsolving saved my butt a couple of times on the test because I didn't see how to solve throught algebra, etc. However, normally it takes me a very long time to get the solution through backsolving. Example, if a question asks you to give an equation in terms of a certain variable. Yes, you can assign values and then try each answere until you find the correct one. The problem is you must try every solution because there may be more than one answer that is gives you the right solution. If that happens you have to assign different values and try them out etc. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. By the time you do all this you're probably up to about 5 min on one question. My point is, backsolving is a great tool to have in your belt for situations where you can't find the answer by traditional means. I would say make sure you have some skill with backsolving, but don't rely on it. I really believe that if you get the concepts down and practice and your speed and accuracy that way, you will be much better off. I do believe that 90% of the problems you see on the real test should be solved through traditional means.

Also, I have seen your quant work in the math forum and I honestly think you will do extremely well on the real test. Have you taken any of the challenges? What percentile are you scoring on those. What are your quant scores like on your practice tests (Kaplan, Princeton Review, GMATprep)? If you are doing well on those, I think you are golden!! Hope this helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 660 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
chet719 wrote:

Also, I have seen your quant work in the math forum and I honestly think you will do extremely well on the real test. Have you taken any of the challenges? What percentile are you scoring on those. What are your quant scores like on your practice tests (Kaplan, Princeton Review, GMATprep)? If you are doing well on those, I think you are golden!! Hope this helps.

Thanks Chet for helping advice. I did not take any challenge so far. In fact, I havent done any preparation for quant except this forum. Anyway, I am not doing too well on practice tests. My quant scaled score was 40 when I tried my first Kaplan CAT last Sat. The ran out of time for atleast last 4-5 questions. I initially made strategy for allocating : 25 mins (first 10) + 20 (2nd 10) + 15 (3rd 10) + 15 (last 7). Do you see any problem in this? I will take your advice on backsolving as just a tool in your kitty. Thanks again.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Fab story! [#permalink]
Fantastic story and fantastic score! You are an inspiration to us all!!!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I read this story daily and love it!

It truly is inspiring...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Chet,

Congratulations! I got a similar score to your first score. I want to retake my GMAT in a month again. I am absolutely lost and don't know where to start to improve my abilities for the second round. Please let me know how did you prepare for the second time? How long did you study between the first test and your second test. Do you recommend taking any classes or get a private tutor.

Please advice.

Thank you.
Sara.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
sarav - first off, welcome to the club and congratulations on your first post! Stay active on this board and I'm positive it will help you. Everyone here has a great attitude and offers great advice. It's like a global team of GMAT experts!

I'm in your same shoes. I protracted my study period from 2 months to 6 months and know that contributed to my poor score. I was just burned out from studying and living at the library. This time around, I scheduled the test 31 days after my first day back (from my week off) - my test is on 11/10. Each day I do 20-30 PS & DS questions and supplement that with 5-10 questions each in RC, CR, and SC. Of course on the weekends I try to do a lot more.

My advice to you is take some time off (~1 week) and clear your mind. Then come back with a furious vengeance to conquer the test! Keep an error log and go to town on your weaknesses. Start with the basics and go from there.

Hang in there and don't give up! People generally say to plan for 2-3 attempts before you get the score you want so if you think about it, we just took a "warm up" test :-D
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts