Last visit was: 30 Apr 2024, 12:18 It is currently 30 Apr 2024, 12:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [7]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10026 [0]
Given Kudos: 4544
Test: Test
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [2]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [1]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Merage (UC Irvine) Applicants (Class of 2017) [#permalink]
Kudos
Hello Merage Aspirants,

I am a second year FTMBA candidate at the Merage School of Business at UC Irvine. Let me know if you have any question or doubt regarding the program.

Also don't forget to attend the chat session hosted by Ms. Ashley Ramirez (Associate Director of Recruitment and Admissions - Merage Schoool of Business).
Timings for the session: 7 AM PDT, September 29, 2014. Monday
Place: GMATClub Chat Room

-Asphalt
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 10026 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply

Merage Admissions Team is in the chat room. Chat is open now!!

Join us the chat room to attend this event.

MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 10026 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear UC Irvine Applicants,

Thank you very much for participating in recent chat session with UCI Admissions Team. We had a wonderful discussion with Ms. Ashley Ramirez (Members of School's admission committee), Deepti Nelavelli (Merage Student Ambassador), and Bishnu Kumar (Second year Current Student and Merage Forum Moderator at GMATClub)

For our friends who could not attend the event, here are some key questions and Admission officers' answers to them. You can also download the complete session transcript which is attached to this post.

Good Luck to all!!

ID: UCI has small class strength and is a relatively smaller school. Would you elaborate on the pros and cons of being a part of a small full-time program?
Ashley: Great question! Being a part of a smaller class size really allows you the opportunity to get to know all of your classmates, which are great resources during and post-MBA. It also allows for a more personalized approach with the faculty and with career services.

ID: Does fellowship offered depend on the GMAT score - higher the score, higher is the scholarship?
Ashley: We are going to look at the entire application during the fellowship review process and take the same approach that we do during the admissions process. The GMAT is one component, but does not increase or decrease your fellowship chances

Srijan Bhattachrya: How much importance is given to candidate’s GMAT score? Should a student get discouraged and not apply, if he has lower than average GMAT score?
Ashley: We take a holistic approach when looking at your application. I like to think of it in terms of puzzle pieces. Each piece represents an important component of the application and it won't be complete without that piece, but no two pieces are the same size.
Deeptin: Like Ashley mentioned, there are various aspects of the application aside from the GMAT score. One important piece of the puzzle that is often overlooked is conveying how Merage can help you achieve your goals. This tells the admission committee how well you will fit into the program and be successful.

Narenn: What support do students get from Career Services dept, peers, and alumni? How strong is Alumni Network of Merage?
Ashley: Our Career Services Office is incredibly hands-on. With the small class-size, it definitely allows for a more high-touch approach to the career search. We offer second-year career coaches to our first-year students, an alumni database, and alumni networking nights.
Deeptin: As an international student, I found that the job search in the US is far more self-driven and requires more networking. The Career center at Merage helped me navigate this environment successfully. This is only possible when adviser to student ratio is low.
Asphalt: The career center helps you to prepare your resume, linked profile, practice mock interviews etc. For my final round with Amazon, I had a two hour face to face interview with my career advisor to prepare me well for the final round. It really helped.

Narenn: Can you tell us which student clubs or groups are in the school?
Asphalt: Consulting, Tech Association, Marketing, Operations, Challenge for Charity, Automotive etc. The exhaustive list: https://merage.uci.edu/MSA/Content/Merage-Clubs/150
Deeptin: The school provides a lot of support to students who wish to participate or even set up a club to support MBA careers and interests. This is done under the Merage Student Association umbrella. These clubs are student led and provide excellent opportunities to network and gain leadership skills. Some examples include the Business & Technology Association, the Merage Consulting Association, Operations Management Association etc.

Narenn: What interview options are available for International applicants? Are the on-campus and off-campus interviews treated equally or there is any preference to one over other?
Ashley: We offer interviews on-campus and via Skype. We do not have a preference and they are treated equally. If you are local, we highly recommend that you come to campus for an interview, but we understand that this isn't always an option for our out-of-state and international applicants.

We will be in India in late-November for recruiting and will be holding in-person interviews with our Assistant Dean. If you are in India and are interested in an in-person interview, the application deadline is October 1st.

Mib_utuxnv: is it possible to intimate Merage of the TOEFL scores after submitting the application (in order not to miss the Oct 01 deadline)?
Ashley: Your application isn't complete and isn't considered for review until all components are received. We will need to receive it as soon as possible to move your application forward in the review process, prior to extending interview invitations.

Chat Transcript
Attachment:
Merage Session Transcript 29th Sept.pdf [244.43 KiB]
Downloaded 54 times
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Join us on Saturday, November 15 from 8:30 AM-2:30 PM. Experience the Merage School MBA and discover all that it has to offer by spending the day with students, faculty, and staff at our Fall Open House. Spouses and significant others are welcome.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.5
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hello Asphalt, Merageashley,

I have applied to Merage MBA program. However, didn't hear back. It has been a week now. Just wanted to check, how much time admissions team usually takes to review the application.

Meanwhile, is there anything I can do to strengthen my case further.

-KL3184
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
@KL3184- It typically takes us 2-3 weeks after receiving a completed application (official transcripts & test scores included) before we send notify you of your status. If you would like to send me an email with your full name, I can check to see where we are at in the process: ashnram@uci.edu

KL3184 wrote:

I have applied to Merage MBA program. However, didn't hear back. It has been a week now. Just wanted to check, how much time admissions team usually takes to review the application.

-KL3184
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.5
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
merageashley wrote:
@KL3184- It typically takes us 2-3 weeks after receiving a completed application (official transcripts & test scores included) before we send notify you of your status. If you would like to send me an email with your full name, I can check to see where we are at in the process: ashnram@uci.edu

KL3184 wrote:

-KL3184

merageashley - Thank you so much for the information!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi Asphalt, Ashley

Hope you're well.

As I prepare my Merage MBA applications and essays, it would be great if you could provide your feedback / insight on some of the queries that I have:

a) Typically, which all companies hire from UCI for IT Consulting / Management profiles? I have gone through the employment report on Merage's website and could spot names such as Deloitte Consulting, Oracle. But I am unable to determine whether they recruit for the profiles I intend to undertake post MBA.

b) From Merage's official site, I got to know about the 'EDGE' program for 2nd-year students. Is it like an optional course or integrated within the FT-MBA program & exactly how one could benefit from it?

c) Also, I understand that there are a number of student-run clubs and associations within the campus for MBA students. What I wanted to know is as UCI already has many experiential learning programs like Field Project and Business Plan competitions, how will involvement in these clubs add value to the profile post MBA for job search? Also, what leadership positions are available within these clubs and how are the students elected to these positions?
I mean the MBA course-curriculum must be rigorous enough. Are students able to manage juggling with involvement in so many activities or is it more like people focus on selected activities only? [I understand that this is more of a time-management skill on the student's part, I am just trying to get a perspective on the student-life at UCI :)]

Thanks in advance,
Akshay
---------------------------------
P.S: I am not quite certain whether this is the right forum to post these queries. If such is the case, please let me know and I will be able to take the queries to the Wednesday's Skype chat.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
AkshayKr: Hello Akshay!

These are all great questions.

a) This typically varies from year to year depending on the needs of the companies. With the class of 2014, we saw a 10 percent increase in the number of companies recruiting on campus, so it can change each year.

b) EDGE is an optional course for our students, but highly recommended. It serves as a capstone course designed to build upon your Merage education and career experience. It will provide you with the advanced tools and skills on how to identify, address, and adapt to some of the changes facing companies and managers today and in the future.

c) The majority of our students are involved in our student-run organizations and clubs. Many are professional clubs, which assist you during your job search and increase your knowledge in a specific area. We also offer more social clubs, which give the students some balance during this busy time in their life. It is important to make these connections with your classmates.

I am happy to speak with you more in depth via Skype phone call. Please feel free to email me (ashnram@uci.edu) and we can schedule a call if you have any further questions. I will also be chatting on Wednesday's chat from 7-8 AM PST each week.

Good luck!

Ashley

AkshayKr wrote:
Hi Asphalt, Ashley

Hope you're well.

As I prepare my Merage MBA applications and essays, it would be great if you could provide your feedback / insight on some of the queries that I have:

a) Typically, which all companies hire from UCI for IT Consulting / Management profiles? I have gone through the employment report on Merage's website and could spot names such as Deloitte Consulting, Oracle. But I am unable to determine whether they recruit for the profiles I intend to undertake post MBA.

b) From Merage's official site, I got to know about the 'EDGE' program for 2nd-year students. Is it like an optional course or integrated within the FT-MBA program & exactly how one could benefit from it?

c) Also, I understand that there are a number of student-run clubs and associations within the campus for MBA students. What I wanted to know is as UCI already has many experiential learning programs like Field Project and Business Plan competitions, how will involvement in these clubs add value to the profile post MBA for job search? Also, what leadership positions are available within these clubs and how are the students elected to these positions?
I mean the MBA course-curriculum must be rigorous enough. Are students able to manage juggling with involvement in so many activities or is it more like people focus on selected activities only? [I understand that this is more of a time-management skill on the student's part, I am just trying to get a perspective on the student-life at UCI :)]

Thanks in advance,
Akshay
P.S: I am not quite certain whether this is the right forum to post these queries. If such is the case, please let me know and I will be able to take the queries to the Wednesday's Skype chat.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
Hi AkshayKr,

Adding some points:

a)
Check this out:
https://merage.uci.edu/Resources/Documen ... Report.pdf

b)
Will be taking the EDGE course in Winter/Spring...looking forward to it

c)
I am currently doing the Experiential learning course. Exp Learning course is offered in 2 quarters. A team of 4-5 MBA students is formed who work with companies to solve their real life problem. You interact with C level managers (and it gives you a great exposure.). Our team is working with the founder and CEO of an Irvine based apparel company and its a great experience to take forward.

MBA life is full of so many activities, you learn to prioritize them and/or learn to "what not to do". :roll:

BTW great set of questions...you are doing some research :shock:

-Asphalt

merageashley wrote:
AkshayKr: Hello Akshay!

These are all great questions.

a) This typically varies from year to year depending on the needs of the companies. With the class of 2014, we saw a 10 percent increase in the number of companies recruiting on campus, so it can change each year.

b) EDGE is an optional course for our students, but highly recommended. It serves as a capstone course designed to build upon your Merage education and career experience. It will provide you with the advanced tools and skills on how to identify, address, and adapt to some of the changes facing companies and managers today and in the future.

c) The majority of our students are involved in our student-run organizations and clubs. Many are professional clubs, which assist you during your job search and increase your knowledge in a specific area. We also offer more social clubs, which give the students some balance during this busy time in their life. It is important to make these connections with your classmates.

I am happy to speak with you more in depth via Skype phone call. Please feel free to email me (ashnram@uci.edu) and we can schedule a call if you have any further questions. I will also be chatting on Wednesday's chat from 7-8 AM PST each week.

Good luck!

Ashley

AkshayKr wrote:
Hi Asphalt, Ashley

Hope you're well.

Thanks in advance,
Akshay
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
‪#‎merageMBA‬ is one of the biggest movers in the new rankings from 43 in 2012 to 31 in 2014.

https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Ashley for responding to the questions above. Definitely helps a lot in moving forward with my Merage application.
This should suffice for the time being. I will connect with you in the coming weeks to discuss further.

Regards,
Akshay
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks asphalt for sharing your perspective as a student of the Merage MBA Program. Looking forward to such guidance in the coming weeks.
And yeah, I am doing my research in full swing. :)

-Akshay
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AkshayKr Good luck!!

AkshayKr wrote:
Thanks Ashley for responding to the questions above. Definitely helps a lot in moving forward with my Merage application.
This should suffice for the time being. I will connect with you in the coming weeks to discuss further.

Regards,
Akshay
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
Send PM
Dear Asphalt,

I hope this message finds you in good health and cheer. I am planning to pursue my MBA and am looking into various universities. I would like to apply by R2 and need some information about Merage that can help me immensely for my applications.

To enable you to assist me more effectively, please find below my brief profile.

1. How customizable is the course offered at Merage? I am looking to specialize in Operations and/or Marketing and would prefer to pursue my career in the automotive industry (however this is just a preference and I am equally inclined to work in other industries). How flexible is the course that it can help me achieve this? Also, what specialization is Merage renowned for?

2. As mentioned, I would prefer to work in an automotive firm post MBA. How good are the opportunities for the same post MBA at Merage? Do Auto-makers recruit students from Merage? If so, I kindly request you to list a few names (if you know). Also, it would be very helpful if I can have a list of companies that usually hire students from Merage. What are these firms’ expectations from students?

3. Does Merage provide any sort of financial Aid for international students? If so, what is the average amount that is waived and what are the criteria for evaluating a candidate for scholarship?

4. How is the mix and diversity of students at Merage?

5. Is my GMAT score sufficient for my application? Does the Adcom consider the best score or the average score for multiple attempts?

6. How many students are able to find a job post MBA? I can find this information easily, but I feel information from a person associated with the program would be a lot more accurate and convincing.

I am also open to suggestions (if any) from you as to which other schools I can consider. I apologize if this message has taken a lot of your valuable time. I would be really grateful if you can help me out with my queries.

Regards,
Madhu
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Anyone here done with their interview?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dear Madhu,

Thank you for reaching out to us! I am happy to hear that you will be applying to the Merage School. In response to your questions:

1. On the following link, you will find our two-year curriculum and a detailed list of electives offered by academic area. The first year is fairly concrete, as you are completing your core coursework, but the second-year is open for you to complete your elective coursework. https://merage.uci.edu/FullTimeMBA/Year-One-And-Two.aspx

2. Yes, we have several automakers that recruit from the Merage School. Toyota, Kia, Hyundai, and Mazda are some of the automakers. You can find more detailed information on our career report: https://merage.uci.edu/FullTimeMBA/Resou ... Report.pdf

We also offer the Automotive Club as a student organization on campus: https://merage.uci.edu/msa/ClubProfile.aspx?ProfileID=29

3. Approximately 70-percent of the incoming class will receive a merit-based fellowship. We will review your application for the same metrics used to make an admission's decision. Unfortunately, we do require a co-signer for all loans for international students.

4. Our most recently admitted class (2016) is comprised of a diverse group of students coming from 14 different countries, and having various educational & professional backgrounds. You can find our detailed class profile here: https://merage.uci.edu/FullTimeMBA/Conte ... Profile/42

5. We will look at your highest GMAT score. Our class average is 658 and our range is 610-780.

6. For the last several years, we have had 93 percent of our students employed within three months, and 100 percent employed within five months.

asphalt Please feel free to include any additional information about your experiences at Merage.

Good luck!

madhu1989 wrote:
Dear Asphalt,

I hope this message finds you in good health and cheer. I am planning to pursue my MBA and am looking into various universities. I would like to apply by R2 and need some information about Merage that can help me immensely for my applications.

To enable you to assist me more effectively, please find below my brief profile.

1. How customizable is the course offered at Merage? I am looking to specialize in Operations and/or Marketing and would prefer to pursue my career in the automotive industry (however this is just a preference and I am equally inclined to work in other industries). How flexible is the course that it can help me achieve this? Also, what specialization is Merage renowned for?

2. As mentioned, I would prefer to work in an automotive firm post MBA. How good are the opportunities for the same post MBA at Merage? Do Auto-makers recruit students from Merage? If so, I kindly request you to list a few names (if you know). Also, it would be very helpful if I can have a list of companies that usually hire students from Merage. What are these firms’ expectations from students?

3. Does Merage provide any sort of financial Aid for international students? If so, what is the average amount that is waived and what are the criteria for evaluating a candidate for scholarship?

4. How is the mix and diversity of students at Merage?

5. Is my GMAT score sufficient for my application? Does the Adcom consider the best score or the average score for multiple attempts?

6. How many students are able to find a job post MBA? I can find this information easily, but I feel information from a person associated with the program would be a lot more accurate and convincing.

I am also open to suggestions (if any) from you as to which other schools I can consider. I apologize if this message has taken a lot of your valuable time. I would be really grateful if you can help me out with my queries.

Regards,
Madhu
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts