Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 07:23 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 07:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 599 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 670 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28580 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 599 [0]
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64968 [1]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Re: Making no progress on PS questions [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
AccipiterQ wrote:
Can someone help me figure out why I can't translate the formulas I'm learning here to other problems (for PS problems). I get about 95% of 600 level+ PS problems incorrect, but when I look at the solutions, they make perfect sense to me. Earlier someone linked me to a guide they made for when to use certain formula, and I get the examples he gives, but if you wait 10 minutes, and give me an identical problem, just with the numbers in the question changed, I can't do it. I don't understand why. I used to tutor people in calculus, advanced algebras, etc. But the GMAT questions are so far beyond anything I used there. I was hoping that I would be able to memorize the formulas for the GMAT questions as easily as I did calc/algebra/etc., but honestly I'm lost. I've been studying for weeks, and my score on the PS problems is still the same. So clearly I'm doing something wrong. I need help here, I want to get in the 730-760 range, and I think I'm pretty close, but if I'm getting about 19 out of every 20 PS problems incorrect (and honestly the ones I do get right I'm guessing) that's going to hurt.

Here is my input on formula related GMAT strategies:
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2013/04 ... -formulas/
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2013/09 ... -problems/

The bad of GMAT - A mathematician may not do well in this test
The good of GMAT - Anyone can do well in this test

As I am sure you know by now, GMAT is not a test of Math. It is a test of logic. If you think about it, it's logical, isn't it? GMAT score is used by MBA institutes which prepare you for the business environment - just how much Math do you think you need to use to run a business? Whatever little you need, you have calculators and computers for it. You need to prepare for things that machines cannot do - think. So GMAT tests your reasoning, your logic, your aptitude, your stamina, your ability to handle pressure, your ability to take decisions in a short span etc. Math and English provide a framework for testing these particular qualities. If there were a list of things that you could memorize to do well in GMAT, the test would fail since it would not be able to grade you on any of the above given things.

You need to develop skill to do well in GMAT and yes, your approach needs to be completely different. Throw away all your formula sheets. I am sure that the ones you need to know, you already do (e.g. Distance = Speed*Time). Focus on the problem given and how you need to manipulate the data to arrive at the answer. Do not think of a suitable formula. Even if you know a formula, imagine that you have forgotten it. Look for a way to solve from scratch. Do it for enough problems and soon you will be coming up with your own formulas.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28580 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Expert Reply
AccipiterQ wrote:
Maybe you can help with another issue I have, with wording of problems. Here's an example:

Among a group of 2,500 people, 35 percent invest in municipal bonds, 18 percent invest in oil stocks, and 7 percent invest in both municipal bonds and oil stocks. If 1 person is to be randomly selected from the 2,500 people, what is the probability that the person selected will be one who invests in municipal bonds and NOT in oils stocks?

(A) 9/50
(B) 7/25
(C) 7/20
(D) 21/50
(E) 27/50

Here's what I did wrong: I assumed that the 35% group, the 18% group, and the 7% group were all made up of different individuals, so I ended up selecting (C). In actuality you are supposed to subtract the 7% from the 35%, and then solve, getting (B) as an answer. I do this all. the. time. I'm never sure if when a question mentions groups like this whether I'm supposed to abstract something, or if the groups are distinct. This carries over to other problems too, anytime there are groups or factors without really detailed boundaries and specifics given I get tripped up. Other problems that list things, like this one which lists a number set: if-x-y-are-in-the-set-then-xy-is-also-in-the-set-160975.html I'm never sure if the variables mentioned are the only ones, or if there's others, you can actually see my reply there to that thread. I'm sure there's an article on your site somewhere for how to figure this stuff out, if you could link it that would be awesome.

Again, thank you so much for your reply, I'm going to start digging through those articles.

Dear AccipiterQ,
On the question you cite, always keep in mind that the magic words "AND" and "OR" automatically include elements from the separate individual groups. Think about it --- suppose I ask you, "Are you P?" and you say yes, and then I ask, "Are you Q?", and you say yes. That means you would be in the group P, the group Q, the group (P and Q), and the group (P or Q). The combination groups are built out of folks who have already answered the individual questions.

On the x & y & xy set, I already responded to your post on that page.

I would recommend reading carefully all the math articles on that blog I sent, and I also would recommend anything the brilliant Karishma recommends to you.

Understand, it's hard to answer questions about this stuff in the abstract. When you make a mistake of this genre on a particular question, find it posted on GC or post it in a new thread, and sent me a pm with the link, and I will be happy to comment.

Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 599 [0]
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
AccipiterQ wrote:
Can someone help me figure out why I can't translate the formulas I'm learning here to other problems (for PS problems). I get about 95% of 600 level+ PS problems incorrect, but when I look at the solutions, they make perfect sense to me. Earlier someone linked me to a guide they made for when to use certain formula, and I get the examples he gives, but if you wait 10 minutes, and give me an identical problem, just with the numbers in the question changed, I can't do it. I don't understand why. I used to tutor people in calculus, advanced algebras, etc. But the GMAT questions are so far beyond anything I used there. I was hoping that I would be able to memorize the formulas for the GMAT questions as easily as I did calc/algebra/etc., but honestly I'm lost. I've been studying for weeks, and my score on the PS problems is still the same. So clearly I'm doing something wrong. I need help here, I want to get in the 730-760 range, and I think I'm pretty close, but if I'm getting about 19 out of every 20 PS problems incorrect (and honestly the ones I do get right I'm guessing) that's going to hurt.

Here is my input on formula related GMAT strategies:
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2013/04 ... -formulas/
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2013/09 ... -problems/

The bad of GMAT - A mathematician may not do well in this test
The good of GMAT - Anyone can do well in this test

As I am sure you know by now, GMAT is not a test of Math. It is a test of logic. If you think about it, it's logical, isn't it? GMAT score is used by MBA institutes which prepare you for the business environment - just how much Math do you think you need to use to run a business? Whatever little you need, you have calculators and computers for it. You need to prepare for things that machines cannot do - think. So GMAT tests your reasoning, your logic, your aptitude, your stamina, your ability to handle pressure, your ability to take decisions in a short span etc. Math and English provide a framework for testing these particular qualities. If there were a list of things that you could memorize to do well in GMAT, the test would fail since it would not be able to grade you on any of the above given things.

You need to develop skill to do well in GMAT and yes, your approach needs to be completely different. Throw away all your formula sheets. I am sure that the ones you need to know, you already do (e.g. Distance = Speed*Time). Focus on the problem given and how you need to manipulate the data to arrive at the answer. Do not think of a suitable formula. Even if you know a formula, imagine that you have forgotten it. Look for a way to solve from scratch. Do it for enough problems and soon you will be coming up with your own formulas.

Another amazing reply, thank you
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Quantitative Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts