Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 13:36 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1580 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1212 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1122 [0]
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey man,

I'm not sure how I can encourage you, but don't give up. Take some time off and come back again. The GMAT monster can be conquered.

And don't think of this as a failure. Cos it is not.

Take care!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 728 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sorry to hear about your GMAT experience. I hope something good will come out of it.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
thanks guys for the encouragement-Tehcm, gamjatang, bhai, tk. Ill be sure to consult with some of you experts if i do decide to retake it. And it will have to be with pearson's software which i do not like. The problem is that i think ive exhausted most of the "valuble" material. I dont think many other materials can truely be trusted especially in verbal. I never thought that i would score this low in math. Usually my math skills are much better than verbal. I guess the problem this time was that In the beginning, i expected the questions to be harder. I started double cheking and it ended up wasting mroe time than i should have. to be honest, i only got up to question 30. with 5 mins remaining. TeHCM-A few questions in quant were tricky. However, i think that the majority of quant was easier than kaplan and alot easier than gmatprep. But then again if it were so easy then why did i score so low? When i was taking gmat prep my brain was working harder. Ill have to admit though, It feels like i am getting more and more slower on math section. I remember when i took the first practice exam, i finished with no problem. As i studied more, I began to dwell on each problem in order to see if there were any other alternatives.-especially in DS. I honestly expected at least a 45 in quant. Also, how can on actually guage how what level they are at? My goal was to get 7**. However, i only achieved that once in my practice test and ended up gettin g much lower. If my level is truely at 570 what can another month of studying do? considering ive been at this for a while now. I really just dont know.

gamjatang and tk, your posts were very inspirational. Ill be sure to consult you guys. Tehcm-good luck
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1122 [0]
[#permalink]
Thanks Joemama.

Also, this score doesn't mean anything. As what Paul or whoever is it that said it takes at least 3-4 tries to get the score that you want. If this is your first time, its definitely nervous knots.

Anyways, just don't think about it now and enjoy the rest of the holiday!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey this is not the end of business school world.. My opinion.. you should not give up, specially now. If this challenge was supposed to be so easily defeated, a lof of people all around the world would not be scared of it.. We have examples among us, duttsit and nakib.. Two wonderful and really smart students choked in their first attempt. Besides that you will find numerous examples of people doing good in their second attempt may be they are better prepared then or may be there isnt a pressure of doing well, since you've already been defeated once. I dont think you should give up, not until you defeat GMAT. I have seen you posting and I think you are very capable of getting where you want to..
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 992 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
joemama142000,

Do not think too much, it was a bad day!

Do not give up, probably you can think of taking again within a month or so, but enjoy new year eve. There are always ups & downs but never give up!

All the best to you, always!

Best Regards,
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I will probably be back. Have a happy new year.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1481 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Again, my friend, GMAT doesn't reflect one's true ability ...Please don't let it make you doubt if you can go for MBA or not! It's just like a visa ...a kind of administration process to get an entrance. It is NOT a ruler to assess your intellectual capability. Just take some rest, come back and get GMAT conquerred. Good lucks to you!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
Thomas Edison [#permalink]
Whenever I feel defeated by something, I always remember this quote and I think it was Thomas Edison who said it, "I have not failed, I have merely been rejected 10,000 times". You have not failed, you have only been rejected once. I took the GMAT 4 times and got a score of 710 on my most recent one. Don't give up, you can do it. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Send PM
Why does your story sound like me [#permalink]
Why i feel that my story is similar to yours..I studied hard, did all those materials that everyone recommends...but still when it comes to the real one, we cudnt do much... I had been following your posts for some time and was suprised by the amount of questions you post.. It really inspired... I am thinking of taking the beast again...Let me know if you too are looking for it.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
thanks friends for your support. I hope you guys had a happy new year. Although i was not able to enjoy mine, i figured that i will never get out of this "depression state" until i conquer this test. Im going to give it 110%. Currently im analyzing what has been wrong with my studies. And this is what ive concluded. Chances are my percentage for RC and CR will not change much. It hovers around 75%. And i think that is due to years and years of not reading novels and not paying attention in english class. SC is supposedly my greatest strength in verbal however, it also flucuates. Sometimes 90% sometimes 60%. I believe it is that way because i truly do not have a solid grasp of english grammar. Ive done the og, went over the sc's with a fine comb and mgmat with fine comb. I believe that i mastered the typical errors taught in the guide. However, my exam had many SC's without a clear answer. My approach this time is to actually learn english grammar from the start and analyzing each sentence that way. I am noticing that english grammar rules are almost limitless, especialy in the idiom dept. I have much respect for those who do not speak english as thier native language and can master the SC. I will be focusing mostly on SC while trying to increase my speed in RC and CR.
For math i have kept an error log, i will go over my error log and attempt some problems on this forum as well as some challenges. I actually blanked out on the real exam when i was slow in figuring out what 6*9 was. I am aiming for end of january. Anyway ill be around, let me know if you need help with anything.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Cranfield SOM
 Q46  V40
Send PM
[#permalink]
Joemama

You might be able to increase your RC and CR hit rates by using a grid. It helped me a lot in increasing my CR hit rates. Also another thing you might want to think is to get OG10 (assuming that you completed OG11) and solve questions in that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
scorpioguy wrote:
Joemama

You might be able to increase your RC and CR hit rates by using a grid. It helped me a lot in increasing my CR hit rates. Also another thing you might want to think is to get OG10 (assuming that you completed OG11) and solve questions in that.

Good spirit dude.

SC is the real problem. Just like you, I have also mastered all typical errors in SC but still, given the fact that English is not my first language, I make mistakes when I have to choose the final answer. I am so frustrated. I have done every thing. I have done almost 500 questions from 1000 SC document, already done OG11 twice, did GMAT Manhattan SC book twice, read Spidey notes for 5 times but still nothing is happening. I am not a bad student. I have always been a very good student throughout my academic career. Therefore, it is frustrating. I guess it is because English is not my native language. I mean seriously speaking, I can lecture a class about noun-pronoun errors, subject-verb agreement, subjunctive sentences, dangling/misplaced modifies, use of relative pronouns, parallelism etc but still, I end up making new mistakes every time I attempt SC problems scoring between 13 and 15 out of 20 . I have a detailed error log too which I repeat every other day. I mean I have done very thing that has been recommended by experienced Gmaters.

One other thing, make sure you guys know that OGs SC problems do not reflect the current SC problems in the real GMAT. I have heard that current GMAT SCs are too long with no clear choice. My biggest problem is idioms…..Anyway, just wanted to share my frustration with you guys. And joemama, I totally agree with you when you said in your post that:

“And i think that is due to years and years of not reading novels and not paying attention in English classâ€
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Cranfield SOM
 Q46  V40
Send PM
[#permalink]
Joemama and Haddy

I also used the grid approach while practising the SC. Like I mentioned in my post earlier - using a grid helped me to concetrate on the choice on hand.

Also, while doing SC once you have narrowed the choices to 2 or 3, try reading the question stem with the narrowed choices in place of the underlined part. This might also help.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
scorpioguy,

what kind of grid are you referring to? Can you send me an example? During my break i started writing ABCDE each answer, however, i dont think it helped me much because i did not practice doing it. It further confused me more because i was used to writing out ABCDE after before reading each question.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37319 posts