Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 12:32 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 12:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Send PM
Re: Profile for Marketing PhD [#permalink]
Expert Reply
BrazilianPhD wrote:
Thanks for your reply!

About my reasons and goals:
1 - I'm very interested in understanding the relationships between Marketing and Finance; this subject is like a passion of mine, something that sparked during my experience with Marketing Planning. There are not many books about the subject and almost all of them too vague, not deep enough. That kind of thing has been considered a priority for the American Marketing Association for years, there are several very interesting academic papers about it, but there is also a lot of work to be done, as several theoretical gaps still persist. So, in order to really learn about the Marketing-Finance relationships, I believe I must go to the higher level of academic research. Then, going for a PhD seems like the narutal path for me to follow.
2 - I already left my executive career behind me, choosing the academic world instead. I already teach business at a school in Brazil, but I do not want to be only a professor, I want to focus on research. And I sure feels like my Masters has not been enough for that, I don't feel prepared enough to conduct high level research. Again, PhD seems the right choice.
3 - On a more personal level, I want to continue to show people in my country that education and knowledge are important, and a viable choice for a career. I live in a country, Brazil, where education is often not considered a worthy investment. Education is not a priority for the government, for the people, for the companies. I believe that's one of the main reasons Brazil is always struggling with so many hardships; a country can't really evolve without strong education and research. I don't know if it sounds too arrogant, but I want to be an inspiration, someone who helps to bring changes in my country for a better future. I have already done some of that, but a PhD in the US can help me do it in a grander scale.
Of course there are a lot of more information about those goals. I don't know if I can send you my Statement of Purpose when I get to write it.

About reseach and publications:
I just finished my Masters, so I have not a long experience with research. My main research was my dissertation, when I used a stepwise discriminant analysis to investigate whether results from complaint handling cases had an impact on the profitability of companies. My dissertation was approved in January/16. Then, I wrote a paper based on my dissertation, which has been selected to be presented and published at a very important academic conference to be held in Brazil in September. Apart from that, I also have started a project to do a bibliometric analysis of the main marketing journals together with a professor from my Masters course, and I'm involved in some experiments my school is doing with the use of alternative methods of teaching, like Problem-Based Learning.

About the GRE:
Thanks for the reply. I will take the TOEFL first, and then I will resume studying for the GRE and try it again.

About researching PhD programs:
Yeah, I thought there would be no way around it. I have to do some research about the PhD programs and faculty. I have already started to do it, your reply helped to assure me i'm on the right path. It seems that I'll end up with a list of about 25 schools, all of them with professors who have published papers related to my subjects of interest (customer profitability, customer lifetime value etc).
Unfortunately, I'm in no condition to travel to the US. I'll probably exhaust my financial reserves with this process of applying to PhD programs. Just the cost of doing the GRE is almost the value of a monthly minimum wage here in Brazil, really expensive.

I'm really grateful for your opinions, it's a real fight I'm in and it's good to know we have an ally here. Thanks a lot.

Sounds good dude!
So it looks like you have your game plan: Research programs and professors, and kick ass on the tests! :)

That's about right.

I can't advise you specifically on professors on your topic as it's not my own area of specialty, but once you get started, you will see how your knowledge grows exponentially!

Best of luck!
And let me know if there is any way I can help,
Best,
Jon
Manager
Manager
Send PM
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Sounds good dude!
So it looks like you have your game plan: Research programs and professors, and kick ass on the tests! :)

That's about right.

I can't advise you specifically on professors on your topic as it's not my own area of specialty, but once you get started, you will see how your knowledge grows exponentially!

Best of luck!
Best,
Jon

Hi!

A quick status update.

I did take the GMAT yesterday and the unofficial score is:
750 Total (98%)
49 Quant (77%)
42 Verbal (96%)
6 IR (69%)

I did my research about schools and faculty. Harvard is by far the university with best fit between faculty research and my research interests. But of course I know Harvard is very difficult to reach. I intend to apply to many different universities. Since Marketing metrics has been a research priority for years, many schools have some research about that, even if at a lower level compared to Harvard.

My current list is below:
Harvard University
Stanford University
University of California, Berkeley
Cornell University
Indiana University
University of Chicago
University of Maryland
University of Michigan
University of Minnesota
University of Pennsylvania
University of Texas at Austin
University of Wisconsin-Madison
New York University
Northwestern University
Washington University
University of California, Irvine
Columbia University
University of California, Los Angeles
Carnegie Mellon University
Purdue University
University of Southern California
University of Houston
University of North Carolina
Temple University

Any help is welcome!
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
BrazilianPhD wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Sounds good dude!

That's about right.

Best of luck!
Best,
Jon

Hi!

A quick status update.

I did take the GMAT yesterday and the unofficial score is:
750 Total (98%)
49 Quant (77%)
42 Verbal (96%)
6 IR (69%)

I did my research about schools and faculty. Harvard is by far the university with best fit between faculty research and my research interests. But of course I know Harvard is very difficult to reach. I intend to apply to many different universities. Since Marketing metrics has been a research priority for years, many schools have some research about that, even if at a lower level compared to Harvard.

My current list is below:
Harvard University
Stanford University
University of California, Berkeley
Cornell University
Indiana University
University of Chicago
University of Maryland
University of Michigan
University of Minnesota
University of Pennsylvania
University of Texas at Austin
University of Wisconsin-Madison
New York University
Northwestern University
Washington University
University of California, Irvine
Columbia University
University of California, Los Angeles
Carnegie Mellon University
Purdue University
University of Southern California
University of Houston
University of North Carolina
Temple University

Any help is welcome!

woohoo!!!
That is awesome!
That will put you along the way to top schools. Now it will depend on the other factors I mentioned as well (your capacity to research and publish).

Now once again, I don't know offhand the statistics or facts regarding post-Marketing PHD stuff - but I would say the single most important factor is to look at who is getting jobs where coming out from pHd programs in Marketing. Professorships are rare, as you know, and if you want to enter academia with a shot at getting a full tenured position (which is presumably what you want) coming from a top program is a good way to do that (although original and innovative research is likely not only just as good, but even better). :)

I hope this helps,
Best,
Jon
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi!

I'm here just to thank you for your support! I received and accepted an offer, so now I'm preparing to move to the US to start my PhD in Fall 2017!
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
BrazilianPhD wrote:
Hi!

I'm here just to thank you for your support! I received and accepted an offer, so now I'm preparing to move to the US to start my PhD in Fall 2017!

That is fantastic news indeed.
This is what I live to hear!

Congratulations dude,
See you in America!

Best,
Jon
Moderator:
Admissionado
9221 posts