Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 08:29 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 08:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Theoryx   
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [38]
Given Kudos: 81
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.94
WE:Asset Management (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [6]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Quick Handout for Time, Speed and Distance problems [#permalink]
I've tried without much avail to solve the following question

Sample Problem: R and S are walking on an escalator. R walked down the descending escalator and took 40 steps to reach the escalator base. S started from the escalator base at a speed twice that of R and started walking towards the top and reached the top at the same time as R reached the base. How many steps more than R did S cover when they crossed each other? Assume that the elevator moves 1 step/second.

(A) 10
(B) 20
(C) 30
(D) 40
(E) 50

Answer: (B)

I have formulas 2x-1 as speed of S and x+1 for R where X is the speed of R however I do not know how to arive at the answer of 20.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Quick Handout for Time, Speed and Distance problems [#permalink]
rachnfrosty wrote:
“300/36*(5/18) = 30 seconds.” In situation 1, where did the 5/18 come from?

F/18 comes from the fact that in order to convert the kph to m/s you have to multiply by 1000 metres and divide by 3600 seconds which equals 5/18.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Send PM
rachnfrosty wrote:
“300/36*(5/18) = 30 seconds.” In situation 1, where did the 5/18 come from?

withfaith wrote:
F/18 comes from the fact that in order to convert the kph to m/s you have to multiply by 1000 metres and divide by 3600 seconds which equals 5/18.

Hey, the explanation above is right. Whenever, you have distance in metres and speed in km/hr, you are actually comparing units in the form of apples and oranges. So, you need to either convert km/hr to m/sec or convert the distance from metres to km.

km/hr -> m/sec: Multiply by 1000/3600 or 5/18
m/sec -> km/hr: Multiply by 3600/1000 or 18/5

Hope this helps :)

withfaith wrote:
I've tried without much avail to solve the following question

Sample Problem: R and S are walking on an escalator. R walked down the descending escalator and took 40 steps to reach the escalator base. S started from the escalator base at a speed twice that of R and started walking towards the top and reached the top at the same time as R reached the base. How many steps more than R did S cover when they crossed each other? Assume that the elevator moves 1 step/second.

(A) 10
(B) 20
(C) 30
(D) 40
(E) 50

Answer: (B)

I have formulas 2x-1 as speed of S and x+1 for R where X is the speed of R however I do not know how to arive at the answer of 20.

Hey, I shall help you with some hints here :)
In escalator problems, you must understand that whether it is a stationary escalator or a moving escalator, the length (or in this case the number of steps) at any point of time is always the same.

withfaith wrote:

2x-1 and x+1 are not the speeds of R and S, but they are the relative speeds. You can say, speed of R is x and S is 2x.

You can easily establish the speeds of R and S quite easily here.
Assume that the escalator has S steps. Then the time taken by R and S to cover the distance is the same. Is Distance and Time both are equal, then the relative speeds of R and S must also be equal. Thus 2x-1=x+1 => x=2 steps/sec.
Thus R travels at 2 steps/sec and S at 4 steps per sec. You already know that the escalator travels at 1 step/sec and also the fact that both R and S start and finish at the same time. Think logically about when they should cross each other and you'll have the answer :)

Let me know if this helps. If not, I shall solve it in the next post.

Cheers :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
You didn't post any of the detailed solutions. A slope has no units whereas in the problem about a dog and its owner it says that the hill slope is 720 m . Please post a detailed solution.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 646
GMAT 1: 490 Q42 V17
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
I am unable to find solution for the question. Finding difficulty to understand what should be the approach :( :cry:

Two buses A and B leave cities P and Q at equal speeds from cities P and Q and travel at equal speeds. They meet at a point R after 2 hours and continue further to reach cities Q and P. Next day, Bus A starts 36 minutes early, and bus B starts 24 minutes late and they meet at a point S such that RS = 24 km. Find the distance between the cities P and Q.

A. 96 km
B. 144 km
C. 160 km
D. 184 km
E. 192 km
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM