Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 01:40 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 01:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28580 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Re: CR -- rapidly.correctly get the test points [#permalink]
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:
Here's the prompt again, without your comments and by sentence:
1) Many breakfast cereals are fortified with vitamin supplements.
2) Some of these cereals provide 100 percent of the recommended daily requirement of vitamins.
3) Nevertheless, a well-balanced breakfast, including a variety of foods, is a better source of those vitamins than are such fortified breakfast cereals alone.

Sentences #1 & #2 are purely factual, and both contain breakfast cereals. These two facts seem to indicate that we can get all the vitamins we need from fortified breakfast cereals.
Sentence #3 is a radical change in direction. It upsets the expectation created by the first two sentences. This is a paradox question, because it creates expectations then changes them. It's the job of a paradox to create a certain amount of confusion, so you are hardly to blame if you found the prompt a bit confusing. In a way, that's the point. The prompt presents a paradox, and the answer choices will resolve it.

Hi mike,
thanks for your comprehensive explanation,
would you please explain further,
I still think of this prompt is a strengthen rather than paradox, even the conclusion creates expectations ?

mikemcgarry wrote:
(A) In many foods, the natural combination of vitamins with other nutrients makes those vitamins more usable by the body than are vitamins added in vitamin supplements
what I got is the breakfast with vitamin , nutrients seems include lot of , vitamin is one of this, I think of it as exaggerate -- cross off,
I'm not totally sure I understand what you were communicating about your reasoning here. There is no exaggeration here. This simply says that, for whatever reason, the vitamins from the well-balanced breakfast gives us vitamins that are "more usable by the body."
Well-balanced breakfast ==> body can use the vitamins well
Fortified cereals ==> body can't necessarily use all the vitamins that are there.
This is a valid reason why a well-balanced breakfast would provide more vitamins than would fortified cereals.

Does all this make sense?

Take very good care of yourself, my friend! :-)

Mike :-)

wonderful,
would you please clarify "exaggerate" ?
seems I will mistakenly interpret "exaggerate"..

For example:
One session of GMAT is verbal, and verbal includes SC, RC, and CR
so if we discuss CR, then the scope is CR, it will be "exaggerate" if we switch to verbal.

back to A)
I view A as "exaggerate" because nutrients include a lot of stuff, such as vitamin, and here nutrients is like "verbal" , and vitamin is like "CR" ,
in the prompt, we discuss vitamin, so it is "exaggerate" IMO if talk about nutrients.

on the other hand,
although I did not practice massive CR questions, it seems that I have not seen a exaggerate choice is correct..

waiting for your explanations for "exaggerate",
appreciate if you share your experience that exaggerate choice is correct.
And another two questions.

have a nice day
>_~ :flower

Zoe

Dear zoezhuyan,
How are you, my friend? I am happy to respond. :-)

My friend, the way you are using the word "exaggerate" suggests to me that you don't fully understand its use.

When I exaggerate, I make claims about myself that far exceed anything with a factual basis. In other words, I am trying to make myself look better than I am. For example, I teach the GMAT and I wrote GMAT practice questions. If I were to say, "I am the best GMAT teacher in the world" or "I write the best GMAT practice question on earth," then these would be exaggerations. They are positive claims beyond what can be factually supported.

If the argument exaggerated, then it would have to have made some positive claims that we knew was factually false, making something appear more desirable or beneficial than it is. This would never happen in a GMAT CR argument. Perhaps in an inference question, one of the answer choices could exaggerate some claim made in the prompt: we would have to have some basis for comparing the exaggeration to what is real.

Simply changing the scope of a discussion, by itself, is not exaggeration. Something is exaggeration if there is a deliberate effort to make claims beyond what is factually true in order to make someone or something look better than it is. If someone says, "The GMAT Verbal section is simply CR," then that's factually incorrect, but it's not really exaggeration. Exaggeration most often has the connotation of making something look more positive that it is.

Also, grammatically, it is 100% wrong to say "I think of X as [verb]" We cannot use a verb after the preposition "as"--we have to use a noun.
You wrote: "I think of it as exaggerate" = 100% grammatically incorrect
Correct = "I think of it as an exaggeration."

Whether we classify this argument as a "paradox" argument or a "strengthen" argument really doesn't matter. The categories of arguments are an attempt to discern some patterns among the possible CR questions, but the GMAT is very skilled at writing questions that straddle 2+ categories or that don't fit in any category. It's less important to categorize a question. It's more important to understand what is unique and noteworthy about the question.

Do you have questions about my analysis of it? Let me know.

Have a wonderful day, my friend!

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan wrote:
Hi mike,
I reviewed my recently CR GMAT prep question,
I wonder how to correctly get clues, It seems I will get the irrelevant clue/reasoning to the stems or I cannot get the clues.

another question ( same stimulus in existed topic, but stem and choices are different from GMAR Prep 12 question)

Roland: The alarming fact is that 90 percent of the people in this country now report that they know someone who is unemployed.

Sharon: But a normal, moderate level of unemployment is 5 percent, with 1 out of 20 workers unemployed. So at any given time if a person knows approximately 50 workers, 1 or more will very likely be unemployed.
( well, Roland's scope is the people know XXXX, Sharon's scope is the number of unemployed workers depends on different basic reference of workers, two different scopes, and another pointer I realized that it should be more than 2 among 50 worker according to 5%, I have no idea why it mentions 1 or more , maybe here is gap)

Sharon's argument is structured to lead to which of the following as a conclusion? (ohhh, It is inference, i need find a conclusion from Sharon's, i believe there is a link btw S and R )

(A) the fact that 90% of the people know someone who is unemployed is not an a indication that unemployment is abnormally high.
it is summary of R's, not S's, --- cross off,
While it is the correct one

(B) The current level of unemployment is not moderate.
I am not sure, but according 5%, it should be 1: 20, 2+ : 50... -- cross off

(C) if at least 5% of workers are unemployed, the result of questioning a representative group of people cannot be the percentage Roland cites.
it links two different scope, -- credit one.
while this is incorrect one

(D) It is unlikely that the people whose statements Roland cites are giving accurate reports.
question the accuracy, this is not the discussion, cross off

(E) If an unemployment figure is given a certain percent, the actual percentage of those without jobs even higher.
actual percentage is higher? no, 5% is much less than 90%, and 5% , 90% is different scope. cross off

when I read the OE, I figured out the test point is that high percentage is not certain high number , and S's statement proves it. -- LOL, I run away the pointer

Dear Zoe,

How are you, my friend? :-) I'm happy to respond! :-)

I don't know that I would say that Roland and Sharon have different scopes. In some sense, they are both concerned with how many people know someone unemployed. Roland cites a number that seems, by itself, to indicate a big problem: the big implication of his statement is that unemployment is too high. Sharon puts the claim into context and normalizes it. demonstrating that unemployment is not too high.

Also, a point about probability. If 1/20 people in the population is unemployed, that is NOT a guarantee that if I know 20 people, I will know exactly one unemployed person. Probability doesn't work that way. It's true that if several different people each know 50 people, then on average, each will know about 2.5 unemployed people. That's the average over a large number of people, but if we take any individual person, a person who knows fifty people, then it's possible this person knows 2 unemployed people, or it's possible that this person knows one or none. Knowing none is not likely, but it is possible: over a large number of such people, it would happen about \((19/20)^{50}\) = 0.0769 = 7.69% of the time. Thus, Sharon is being very logically conservative, understating her case--this is a often a sign of a particularly strong argument. Rather than make the bolder claim that many people who know 50 people would know at least 2 unemployed people, she makes the more conservative but much more solid claim that such people likely will know at least 1. The fact that some will know more than 1 only strengthens her argument further.

A lot of GMAT CR is thinking about why people are saying what they are saying. Roland is trying to get us to worry that unemployment is too high. Sharon counters this, telling us to relax--it's not high after all. Also, notice: Sharon never says that the number Roland cited is wrong. Not only does she agree with it: she actually explains why, even when unemployment is low, one would get a statistic such as the one Roland cited.

Choice (A) is a beautiful summary of exactly what Sharon is trying to communicate. That's the OA.

Look at (C).
(C) if at least 5% of workers are unemployed, the result of questioning a representative group of people cannot be the percentage Roland cites.
This says the exact opposite of what Sharon says. This says that if only 5% are unemployed, it's not possible that 90% of the people out there would say that they know some unemployed. In fact, Sharon says the opposite: if only only 5% are unemployed, then most people, who typically know at least 50 people, will know someone unemployed. Sharon is NOT questioning the number the Roland cites. Quite the opposite, she brilliantly explains why the number he cites would be correct even with low unemployment numbers.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
Dear zoezhuyan,
How are you, my friend? I am happy to respond. :-)

My friend, the way you are using the word "exaggerate" suggests to me that you don't fully understand its use.

When I exaggerate, I make claims about myself that far exceed anything with a factual basis. In other words, I am trying to make myself look better than I am. For example, I teach the GMAT and I wrote GMAT practice questions. If I were to say, "I am the best GMAT teacher in the world" or "I write the best GMAT practice question on earth," then these would be exaggerations. They are positive claims beyond what can be factually supported.

If the argument exaggerated, then it would have to have made some positive claims that we knew was factually false, making something appear more desirable or beneficial than it is. This would never happen in a GMAT CR argument. Perhaps in an inference question, one of the answer choices could exaggerate some claim made in the prompt: we would have to have some basis for comparing the exaggeration to what is real.

Simply changing the scope of a discussion, by itself, is not exaggeration. Something is exaggeration if there is a deliberate effort to make claims beyond what is factually true in order to make someone or something look better than it is. If someone says, "The GMAT Verbal section is simply CR," then that's factually incorrect, but it's not really exaggeration. Exaggeration most often has the connotation of making something look more positive that it is.

Also, grammatically, it is 100% wrong to say "I think of X as [verb]" We cannot use a verb after the preposition "as"--we have to use a noun.
You wrote: "I think of it as exaggerate" = 100% grammatically incorrect
Correct = "I think of it as an exaggeration."

Whether we classify this argument as a "paradox" argument or a "strengthen" argument really doesn't matter. The categories of arguments are an attempt to discern some patterns among the possible CR questions, but the GMAT is very skilled at writing questions that straddle 2+ categories or that don't fit in any category. It's less important to categorize a question. It's more important to understand what is unique and noteworthy about the question.

Do you have questions about my analysis of it? Let me know.

Have a wonderful day, my friend!

Thanksmike,
I interpret further of exaggeration. After reading your explanation, I reviewed some OG13 CR questions. Would you please confirm whether my interpretation of exaggeration is correct.
OG 13 CR # 91
Environmentalist: The commissioner of the Fish and Game Authority would have the public believe that increases in the number of marine fish caught demonstrate that this resource is no longer endangered. This is a specious argument, as unsound as it would be to assert that the ever-increasing rate at which rain forests are being cut down demonstrates a lack of danger to that resource. The real cause of the increased fish-catch is a greater efficiency in using technologies that deplete resources.

The environmentalist’s statements, if true, best support which of the following as a conclusion?

(A) The use of technology is the reason for the increasing encroachment of people on nature.
(D) Modern technologies waste resources by catching inedible fish.

Here, I think that A is exaggerated, right?
IMO, the phrase “on nature” in A indicates generalization results of use technology, while the prompt refutes commissioner’s believe by citing an analogy.
I think that D deliberately shrinks the scope, although I have no idea about the terminology, because the prompt does not discuss a special group of the fish.

OG13 CR #121
The spacing of the four holes on a fragment of a bone flute excavated at a Neanderthal campsite is just what is required to play the third through sixth notes of the diatonic scale—the seven-note musical scale used in much of Western music since the Renaissance. Musicologists therefore hypothesize that the diatonic musical scale was developed and used thousands of years before it was adopted by Western musicians.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the hypothesis?

(D) Flutes are the simplest wind instrument that can be constructed to allow playing a diatonic scale.

I view D as exaggeration because D exaggerates subject to be flutes while the prompt discusses bone flutes.
Again, thanks for your pointer of grammar error.

Have a nice day
>_~
:flower
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
Dear Zoe,

How are you, my friend? :-) I'm happy to respond! :-)

I don't know that I would say that Roland and Sharon have different scopes. In some sense, they are both concerned with how many people know someone unemployed. Roland cites a number that seems, by itself, to indicate a big problem: the big implication of his statement is that unemployment is too high. Sharon puts the claim into context and normalizes it. demonstrating that unemployment is not too high.

Also, a point about probability. If 1/20 people in the population is unemployed, that is NOT a guarantee that if I know 20 people, I will know exactly one unemployed person. Probability doesn't work that way. It's true that if several different people each know 50 people, then on average, each will know about 2.5 unemployed people. That's the average over a large number of people, but if we take any individual person, a person who knows fifty people, then it's possible this person knows 2 unemployed people, or it's possible that this person knows one or none. Knowing none is not likely, but it is possible: over a large number of such people, it would happen about \((19/20)^{50}\) = 0.0769 = 7.69% of the time. Thus, Sharon is being very logically conservative, understating her case--this is a often a sign of a particularly strong argument. Rather than make the bolder claim that many people who know 50 people would know at least 2 unemployed people, she makes the more conservative but much more solid claim that such people likely will know at least 1. The fact that some will know more than 1 only strengthens her argument further.

A lot of GMAT CR is thinking about why people are saying what they are saying. Roland is trying to get us to worry that unemployment is too high. Sharon counters this, telling us to relax--it's not high after all. Also, notice: Sharon never says that the number Roland cited is wrong. Not only does she agree with it: she actually explains why, even when unemployment is low, one would get a statistic such as the one Roland cited.

Choice (A) is a beautiful summary of exactly what Sharon is trying to communicate. That's the OA.

Look at (C).
This says the exact opposite of what Sharon says. This says that if only 5% are unemployed, it's not possible that 90% of the people out there would say that they know some unemployed. In fact, Sharon says the opposite: if only only 5% are unemployed, then most people, who typically know at least 50 people, will know someone unemployed. Sharon is NOT questioning the number the Roland cites. Quite the opposite, she brilliantly explains why the number he cites would be correct even with low unemployment numbers.

Hi mike,
in case of my misunderstand your pointers, I wanna your confirmation.
1/ probability that you point out
probability is a general statistics, so it indicates an average, but cannot apply equally to individual.

2/ more than 1 will very likely be unemployed.
why more than 1, rather than 2.5, because Sharon's conservative, and further strengthen her claim , rather than citing only one set of statistic "1 out of 20..."

3/ thinking about why people are saying what they are saying.
before your explanation, I think simply that I need find a link R's view and S's view.
after your explanation, I think again and again why R states what he states and I am not sure whether I misunderstand again. appreciate if you point out. here is my thinking now.
R thinks the fact is alarming, based on the information that 90% people knowing that someone is unemployed -- the survey of the group is people in the country, and someone is not certainly be known each of the group people.
why R says that ? R thinks the fact is alarming. R thinks the high probability is very high , the high probability causing the alarm.

contrary, S's statement indicates that no need to worry about high probability -- high probability is a part of the statistic -- , and that eventually, depends on the number of respondent.

Did I get it?

waiting for your reply

have a nice day
>_~
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan wrote:
Hi mike,
probability is a general statistics, so it indicates an average, but cannot apply equally to individual.

why more than 1, rather than 2.5, because Sharon's conservative, and further strengthen her claim , rather than citing only one set of statistic "1 out of 20..."

before your explanation, I think simply that I need find a link R's view and S's view.
after your explanation, I think again and again why R states what he states and I am not sure whether I misunderstand again. appreciate if you point out. here is my thinking now.
R thinks the fact is alarming, based on the information that 90% people knowing that someone is unemployed -- the survey of the group is people in the country, and someone is not certainly be known each of the group people.
why R says that ? R thinks the fact is alarming. R thinks the high probability is very high , the high probability causing the alarm.

contrary, S's statement indicates that no need to worry about high probability -- high probability is a part of the statistic -- , and that eventually, depends on the number of respondent.

Did I get it?

waiting for your reply

have a nice day
>_~

Dear zoezhuyan,

My friend, how are you? I'm happy to respond. :-)

1) Probability has many tricky points. Yes, the BIG idea about probability is that is makes true statements about averages over large numbers. It does not make 100% accurate predictions for macro scenarios.
Think about it this way. Suppose you have ten coins, each with a H side and T side. Suppose you shake them up, throw them in the air, and have them land on the ground. The probabilities are 50% H and 50% T, and this will be a more common result, but it certainly will not be the only possible result. On many individual throws, you might get 6 H and 4 T, or 3 H and 7 T. Every once in a while, you might get all 10 H or all 10 T. That would happen, about 1/1000 of the time. One instance of such a result is perfectly consistent with the overall 50%/50% probabilities. In fact, I actually would encourage you to spend some time tossing 10 coins and writing the results down to get a sense of the patterns.

Probabilities get even trickier with real human beings. It is a fact that citizens of China constitute 18.5% of the overall human population. That is, if we were to select one human on the planet, absolutely at random, there would be an 18.5% probability of picking Chinese citizen. (How we would pick one human on earth at random would be an immensely complicated and extremely expensive task, I am sure!) That's the overall "on Earth" probability. Now, suppose you walk out your door in Shanghai: you will see a much higher percentage than 18.5% of Chinese citizens. Suppose I walk out my door in Berkeley, California, USA: there are a few citizens of China here, as students or employees of companies, but these folks would constitute far less than 18.5% of people I see. That's an extreme example of a very unrealistic probability to use.

But, think about the probability in the question. As it happens, right now, at end of November 2016, the unemployment rate in the US is 4.9%. This doesn't mean 4.9 of the people I know are unemployed. Think about it. Of course, I know people at my job, but none of my fellow employees at Magoosh are unemployed. Most of my friends, like me, are intelligent folks with good educations, so these folks are likely to be in high demand at their jobs. Other than 1 or 2 people in transition, I don't really know anyone unemployed right now. In other areas of the country, where a large number of people in a community might be unemployed, it would be more likely to know people. Because people tend to associate with others at their own education level, of their own socioeconomic class, etc., these patterns in associating make the probabilities not follow the pattern they would if everything were random.

There are all kinds of subtleties with probabilities.

2) This is getting in very subtle ground. Making a "conservative" argument is a rhetorical approach. In a conservative argument, one makes an understated claim, a claim less than one might deserve to make. The reader will think, oh, that claim should be higher. Then the argument goes on to make its point anyway, and the reader is left impressed, thinking "wow, if the person making the argument had made the full claim, rather than the understated claim, that would have made the already-successful argument even stronger!" It is a subtle way to elicit an extra level of respect from the reader of the argument. This is a technique sometimes used by lawyers or by writers arguing a case.

An extreme case is known in rhetoric as litotes. That is a word/idea you do NOT need to know for the GMAT!

Suppose I am making an argument about something, and in the course of it, I make the understated claim "China has more than a few people." That's an extremely understated claim, because, as we know, China is the most populous nation on Earth. When I say my understated statement, many perceptive readers will think, "Mike could say more than that! He could make a stronger claim!" If I continue my argument and justify my conclusion to my reader's satisfaction, then the reader will be impressed. I didn't even have to use the full strength of the claims I had available to make my argument. It is a virtuoso verbal move designed to elicit extra respect for the strength and validity of an argument.

You do not need to follow such moves all the time, but simply be aware that such rhetorical concerns might be underlying a person's motivation if that person happens to understate a claim in an argument.

3) Yes, I believe you understand the points of the argument now.

Again, the best way to practice is to read lots of arguments in newspapers and news journals, all in English, to get a sense of why and how people argue in the real world.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:
Hi mike,

Did I get it?

waiting for your reply

have a nice day
>_~

Dear zoezhuyan,

My friend, how are you? I'm happy to respond. :-)

1) Probability has many tricky points. Yes, the BIG idea about probability is that is makes true statements about averages over large numbers. It does not make 100% accurate predictions for macro scenarios.
Think about it this way. Suppose you have ten coins, each with a H side and T side. Suppose you shake them up, throw them in the air, and have them land on the ground. The probabilities are 50% H and 50% T, and this will be a more common result, but it certainly will not be the only possible result. On many individual throws, you might get 6 H and 4 T, or 3 H and 7 T. Every once in a while, you might get all 10 H or all 10 T. That would happen, about 1/1000 of the time. One instance of such a result is perfectly consistent with the overall 50%/50% probabilities. In fact, I actually would encourage you to spend some time tossing 10 coins and writing the results down to get a sense of the patterns.

Probabilities get even trickier with real human beings. It is a fact that citizens of China constitute 18.5% of the overall human population. That is, if we were to select one human on the planet, absolutely at random, there would be an 18.5% probability of picking Chinese citizen. (How we would pick one human on earth at random would be an immensely complicated and extremely expensive task, I am sure!) That's the overall "on Earth" probability. Now, suppose you walk out your door in Shanghai: you will see a much higher percentage than 18.5% of Chinese citizens. Suppose I walk out my door in Berkeley, California, USA: there are a few citizens of China here, as students or employees of companies, but these folks would constitute far less than 18.5% of people I see. That's an extreme example of a very unrealistic probability to use.

But, think about the probability in the question. As it happens, right now, at end of November 2016, the unemployment rate in the US is 4.9%. This doesn't mean 4.9 of the people I know are unemployed. Think about it. Of course, I know people at my job, but none of my fellow employees at Magoosh are unemployed. Most of my friends, like me, are intelligent folks with good educations, so these folks are likely to be in high demand at their jobs. Other than 1 or 2 people in transition, I don't really know anyone unemployed right now. In other areas of the country, where a large number of people in a community might be unemployed, it would be more likely to know people. Because people tend to associate with others at their own education level, of their own socioeconomic class, etc., these patterns in associating make the probabilities not follow the pattern they would if everything were random.

There are all kinds of subtleties with probabilities.

2) This is getting in very subtle ground. Making a "conservative" argument is a rhetorical approach. In a conservative argument, one makes an understated claim, a claim less than one might deserve to make. The reader will think, oh, that claim should be higher. Then the argument goes on to make its point anyway, and the reader is left impressed, thinking "wow, if the person making the argument had made the full claim, rather than the understated claim, that would have made the already-successful argument even stronger!" It is a subtle way to elicit an extra level of respect from the reader of the argument. This is a technique sometimes used by lawyers or by writers arguing a case.

An extreme case is known in rhetoric as litotes. That is a word/idea you do NOT need to know for the GMAT!

Suppose I am making an argument about something, and in the course of it, I make the understated claim "China has more than a few people." That's an extremely understated claim, because, as we know, China is the most populous nation on Earth. When I say my understated statement, many perceptive readers will think, "Mike could say more than that! He could make a stronger claim!" If I continue my argument and justify my conclusion to my reader's satisfaction, then the reader will be impressed. I didn't even have to use the full strength of the claims I had available to make my argument. It is a virtuoso verbal move designed to elicit extra respect for the strength and validity of an argument.

You do not need to follow such moves all the time, but simply be aware that such rhetorical concerns might be underlying a person's motivation if that person happens to understate a claim in an argument.

3) Yes, I believe you understand the points of the argument now.

Again, the best way to practice is to read lots of arguments in newspapers and news journals, all in English, to get a sense of why and how people argue in the real world.

appreciate for your crystal explanation.

have a nice day.
>_~
GMAT Club Bot