Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 15:50 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 15:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: 50 year old PhD? [#permalink]
BrazilianPhD wrote:
Good luck in your GMAT!

Thanks! Well actually the concern here is that I have been away from academics for a good 10 years. So I do not really know if my professors from my Grad school would even remember. :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I teach full time at an AACSB business school, not a top-tier university, but a decent state school with a graduate school, PhD business program, etc. One of my colleagues got his PhD in economics in his 50s and now is 70. made tenure a few years back in his late 60s, and looks like he could go on forever. Looks like he's still in his 50s, gets fabulous student reviews, kicks butt. He went to a large state university for his PhD and was as you'd expect the old timer of his class. But again, didn't prevent the guy from getting a job at State U and getting tenure.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Send PM
ThePhDAspirant wrote:
Thanks! Well actually the concern here is that I have been away from academics for a good 10 years. So I do not really know if my professors from my Grad school would even remember. :(

I think you should try to get in contact with them, check your chances with each professor, show them what you have been doing, talk about your plans, seek guidance, refresh their memories. In short, get close to them again. If you just show up after 10 years it will really be strange.

And being way from school for too long is also something to worry about your application. During my interview, a professor said that age is not a problem, but older applicants may be a little rusty in their academic skills. He said that I was ok because I just finished my Masters with great results, that was some proof I was still academically sharp.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4391 posts