Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 12:23 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 12:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 255
Concentration: Economics, International Business
Schools: ISB '19 Fox"19
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Re: Advice for improving Arithmetic [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Hi Nailin,

My biggest tip for Verbal would be summarize everything possible, in simple terms, for RC and CR questions. Oftentimes, these questions use a lot of words and people tend to try to remember everything the passage or paragraph is saying. Instead, I recommend taking short-quick notes that will allow you to summarize what you just read, in language you understand. Make the passage or paragraph yours! Many times the question resulting from the passage or paragraph has to do with a main idea or underlying assumption. When you summarize in your own words, quickly, it is easier for you to see what the main idea or assumption may be. For SC, I would recommend to learn as many idioms as possible (within reason of course) and to ensure that your subject and verb always agree in number. Additionally, pay attention to the tense of the non-underlined parts of the sentence, as they will give the clue of what the tense of the underlined part should be. If you have any information regarding improving upon Arithmetic or Quant in general, please help!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Thanks VMACC,

Your reply was great! I think I will focus on a few sub sections. I have completed most of the EMPOWERGMAT videos, however, with Arithmetic, I feel as though I was unable to keep up with Rich. My "number sense" is not the best and it takes me a long time to see patterns in numbers, which is unfortunate given the speed with which one must operate during the GMAT. I will work to learn different number tricks as well as the subgroups of problems. Thanks for your reply!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 165 [0]
Given Kudos: 207
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Did you study manhattan thoroughly? If you did it once already, you might be missing something important, so doing it one more time but more carefully could be beneficial.
Also, definitely use Gmatclub math book if you did not do so already. It's great!

Apart from that, I recommend practicing questions in groups by type until you feel that you understand the concept, i.e. search the forum for number properties problems, and after trying them read bunuel's explanations.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Seconded. The Manhattan GMAT books are great. For you, probably the ones on Number Properties (Guide 5) or Fractions, Decimals, & Percents (Guide 1) would be the most helpful. You may also want to make flashcards. Having prime numbers, perfect squares, fraction to decimal conversions, etc. down cold will definitely help you get faster. So many problems rely, directly or indirectly, on prime factorization. And if you know your multiplication table and the primes up to, say, 47, down cold, you will see the factorizations more quickly and know for sure when you’re done. A lot of the prep companies have their own flashcard decks that you can use (not sure if EmpowerGMAT does), but it’s better for you to make your own. There are studies that show you understand/remember something better when it’s in your own writing, and the act of writing itself helps get it in your memory. Or, you can use flashcard software like Anki:

https://apps.ankiweb.net

One thing that’s nice about Anki - it uses a spaced repetition system. There’s a whole bunch of science behind how often you need to see a fact to remember it. Basically, Anki’s spaced repetition system will show you a card more often when you’re first learning it and less often later on. It will show it to you more often if you get the card wrong or are unsure about it. So you don’t need to keep track of which cards you need to work on that day or what you’re shakier on. It keeps track for you.

Things I’d recommend putting on the cards:
fractions to decimal conversions for basically all fully reduced fractions with single digit denominators
approximations for \(\sqrt{2}, \sqrt{3}, \sqrt{5}\) : (\(\approx{1.4}, 1.7, 2.2\))
perfect squares up to 15 (\(1^2=1\), \(2^2 =4, … ,15^2 = 225\))
perfect cubes up to 10 (\(2^3=8, …. , 10^3=1000\))
prime numbers up to 47: 2,3,5,…47
anything else you think you need to work on/memorize.

-V.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
mikemurawski93 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any advice, tips, tricks, etc. to help one improve their Arithmetic skills quickly? It appears to me that the area I most struggle with is Arithmetic (as evidenced by my CAT reviews and practice problems). However, I am having trouble studying Arithmetic because it is such a large category of Math (work problems, probability, number properties, operations with rational numbers, etc etc.) On my last CAT, I scored a 660 overall (Q40,V41) and I believe an improvement in Arithmetic could push me too or over the 700 mark, which is my goal! My test is in exactly 5 weeks and would hate to come up just short of 700. Thanks for any help you can provide!!

I may not be an expert at improving the quant score because I started from Q 40 to reach Q 50 in 3 months but I can bet you one thing that you encounter a few questions in which you get completely stumped. If, however, I have lost this bet, congratulations. You have won half the battle. All you have to do now is to practice more and more questions and you can improve your score to Q45. On the other hand, if you do wonder how to start, rather than the "best way" to start, as soon as you read the question, you need to dive deeper into the theory. You need better conceptual clarity. I used Veritas Study material (I also have those books in digital format). The books have a lot of questions covering a wide spectrum of conceptual questions. However, most of those questions are nothing more than the intro to those concepts. Practicing Quant on this forum is the best advise I can give you. Do solve all the questions that you get in your profile page, they are picked according to your level, and solve the official GMAT questions posted in the forum. As a matter of fact, revising the concepts for 30 minutes and practicing related questions for next 90 minutes will give you a good boost.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92977 posts