Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 04:45 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 04:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
awesome performance :banana
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
thanks everyone!

I started studying in December with plans to take the test during the first week of February. I made the mistake of putting off signing up for the test and all of February was booked so I took it March 9th. Even though I thought I was ready and was itching to take the test the extra month helped I think because I took more time to practice my essays and become more comfortable with the test in general.

my background is i'm a software engineer currently unemployed so i had the time to really prepare. i'm also a voracious reader so that helps on the verbal and essay sections.

to answer your question phdczar, 800score's prep is good. it's concise, it has strategy you won't find in kaplan, it covers comb/prob (which kaplan doesn't) and it has tutoring provided with purchase of it's service. for $30 that's pretty good! however, i didn't like the practice tests because they didn't seem as similar to the powerprep (and therefore the real thing) as kaplan. my suggestion would be to buy the kaplan book, use it for mastering the fundamentals. and then buy 800score full package as supplement to kaplan.

kaplan has 4 tests, 800score has 5 tests. with the 2 tests from powerprep, and all the quizes from the 3 you should have plenty of practice. i firmly believe that anyone can ace the quantitative part. the verbal and essay are a little harder because they test your english proficience and there is a limit to how much you can learn on that in a short time. the key to the quantitative part is practice. specifically, when you take a test, find your incorrect problems and look for a pattern. see what types of problems you consistently get wrong and work on that area. don't just look at the solution, work through it first and see if you can do it right. for your problem areas the GMATclub forums are fantastic!

ok, so that's my advice in a nutshell, sorry it got a little longer than i planned. i followed the advice found in the blogs here and it worked wonders for me. i originally was shooting for a 650, but following the strategies i found here helped me immensly and gave me the confidence to shoot for a 730 - and i got a 740! if anyone wants more input from me, just let me know.

good luck!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 992 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulations shiboni :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
excellent briefing!

Congratulation!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Shiboni for the clarification.

Best Wishes for your Application
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Dear shibani take my congratulations!
The result is wonderful.

Could you look through my strategy and give me you opinion:

I'm planning to begin my preparation for GMAT test and want to order through amazon 4 books:
1) Kaplan 2006 premier
2) Kaplan 800
3) Cracking the GMAT 2006 Princeton Review
4) Official Guide for GMAT 11th edition

My friend doesn't recommend me order so much preparing literature (her GMAT 710). by her mind it's quite enough one or two books and as much as possible computer training tests.
I would like to hear your opinion.

thank you very much for advance! :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 601 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats shiboni,

Great score..

:king
GMAT Club Bot