Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 02:54 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 02:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1900 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey MA466,

Are you having problems with the verbal section of the gmat? I think if you're just struggling with the quant section, then you just need help in that area. Taking a class won't be worth the money if you are going to just attack one weak problem. There are only a couple of reasons I can think of why someone would do a course:

1) Weak in both quant and verbal and seriously need help in both
2) No commitment to sit down and do self-study. In this case, a class is perfect as it forces you to take out a number of hours in your life just to prep for the gmat

I'm not saying a class is bad, I'm just saying if you're just weak in quant, you might be better off just getting a book and doing some intensive self-study.

There are some books which I think are pretty good for brushing up your basics:

1) Kaplan maths workbook - Touches only on quant subjects tested in gmat.
2) Arco maths workbook - It's thick and really goes back to basics
3) Princeton maths workbook - Same thing as Kaplan. Some people prefers Kaplan's approach, some prefers Princeton's approach. It really depends on the individual.
4) Manhattan GMAT's guide - Depending on which one you need help on, you can just purchase the strategy guide for that subject, or you can purchase the entire series for quant.

However, if you're keen on a class, then you need to consider whether you want to do it online, or you like a classroom setting. There're a number of gmat prep courses available, so you can really take your pick. So far, I have read in the forum:

1) Veritas - seems pretty good judging by the response
2) Kaplan and Princeton - Been around for ages. Some say they're great, some say they're not so good. Guess it depends on the individual.
3) Manhattan GMAT - Online course and their guides are highly touted.
4) GMAX Online - Online as well, but last I read, they are coming out with CDs. I also read that you can just purchase the cds that touch on the quant, or just the cds that touch on the verbal section, or the cds for the whole course. Seems to be the least costly of the four I mentioned here.

Meantime, I suggest you visit the maths forum and participate in the discusions. Don't be afraid to ask and don't be afraid to make a mistake. We all make mistakes and the purpose of this club is to help one another learn.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ywilfred,
Thanks for your response in detail. I am better in verbal than quantitive but that does not mean i will be able to correct 40+ in verbal. I already have bought Kaplan math workbook and i am just wondering whether i should buy OG math workbook too.Do you think it is a good book?
ma466
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 499 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
MA466 wrote:
Ywilfred,
Thanks for your response in detail. I am better in verbal than quantitive but that does not mean i will be able to correct 40+ in verbal. I already have bought Kaplan math workbook and i am just wondering whether i should buy OG math workbook too.Do you think it is a good book?
ma466

I have OG math workbook... I can say that if you have OG GMAT review 10th or 11th edition, you do not need that book...

Kaplan math book is very good, but i feel that OG math complements Kaplan... you get real GMAT-like questions + very good intro to what you need to know about GMAT math (wrote this in bold on purpose :) )

I guess you do not need a personal tutor, because GMAT tests rather basic knowledge of mathematics and as i wrote earlier you get a very good introduction of that in OG book.....
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Simaq,
Thanks for your suggestions. I like this website because of some great advice from all of you guys. God bless to all of you. Take care.
ma466
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I personally have no experience with Kaplan's course and can't recommend it, but I would say that you're actually better off taking some math courses at a community college if there's one near you. An MBA program can be quant-heavy and you will want to be prepared for that, not just GMAT math.

Since you're past the deadlines for Fall 2006 admissions I would look at taking at least one math course this summer, and one or two in the fall if you can. If you're still struggling with GMAT math after a course, then a math tutor might be worthwhile.

But b-school will be tough if you really don't have good math skills. So plan on spending time improving them -- it will make life easier all around for your b-school plans, even if it means delaying b-school a bit longer.

I have not taken accounting or finance, or even statistics, and would definitely do so before starting b-school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
refreshing your math [#permalink]
Hi,
You say that you are better in verbal than in math, but not yet at 40 for the verbal and about 50% in the math. Have you tried the demo lessons for gmaxonline on this website? Look in the review of the course, and scroll down to the live links. There you will find several demo lessons- at least one in each subject. Many students with weak backgrounds in math and grmmar have gotten top scores on the GMAT by taking the GMAXONLINE course and carefully studying everyting taught.
Good luck.
Leanna
https://www.gmaxonline.com
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 317 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I also recommed GMAX online. I can honestly say I have improved a lot in the math section after taking half the course.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks positive soul. I am thinking about enrolling in GMAX online.Thanks.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
princeton math workout
kaplan gre/gmat math workout
og 11th edition
manhattan math series..

this is all i have done.. its got to me to 9/10

hope it helps.
manhattan word translatin is good for probability,combinations.. this is where i had problems..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Willget,
Thanks for your suggestions. I will try to do whatever you guys suggests because i need to imrove in math. Thanks and have a nice weekend.
Ma466
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]