Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 13:01 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 206
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 190
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Urgent SC Help! [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi rocko911,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What materials have you used?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? 5 months
2) What materials have you used? Princeton review little bit and mostly Official
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)? Quant- Dangling between 42-47 , Verbal is 17 in GmatPrep and 27 in MGGMAT and I dont know why

Goals:
4) What is your goal score? 650 or 650+
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School? I should have given exam by now, I want to apply for this coming session but I am only looking for European universities so i think the deadlines are till 15 january
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to? I want to pursue M.Sc. of Innovation and Entrepreneurship
I have average gpa and 1 year of experience
I am a software developer
Schools I chose are

1)St Gallon
2)WHU
3) Lund University
4) Copenhagen Business shool
5) Im still searching for it

But I am mostly looking for Country good in Innovation and which invest most in entrepreurship

Country choices are(as they invest a lot in innovation and stratups)
1) Germany
2) Japan (But there is only 1 university in good ranking which provides this coarse but need 3 years of experience)
3)Switzerland
4)Sweden
5)Canada

I WOULD BE VERY THANKFUL IF U COME UP WITH 5 schools which will be best for me to apply with such profile
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: Urgent SC Help! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi rocko911,

The process of applying to (and ultimately attending) Business School will require a big investment of time, money and energy on your part, so you really should make sure that the Programs that you apply to match your career goals/needs. There are a variety of factors that go into selecting the Schools that you'll apply to - and thus, I don't think that anyone here can tell you which Schools/Programs will best match YOUR goals. You have to define what you're looking for and research the various options for good 'matches.' The list of Schools that you come up with is important - you can get a better sense of the type of GMAT Score that you might need to be considered a 'competitive' applicant and you'll learn what you need to do to apply (as well as the specific application deadlines).

When I asked about how you had scored on your practice CATs, I wasn't asking for just a 'range.' I need to know the exact results of each of your CATS, so that we can determine whether any patterns exist in your performance or not and whether you've gotten 'stuck' or not.

1) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?
2) What is your exact Test Date?
3) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Urgent SC Help! [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi rocko911,

The process of applying to (and ultimately attending) Business School will require a big investment of time, money and energy on your part, so you really should make sure that the Programs that you apply to match your career goals/needs. There are a variety of factors that go into selecting the Schools that you'll apply to - and thus, I don't think that anyone here can tell you which Schools/Programs will best match YOUR goals. You have to define what you're looking for and research the various options for good 'matches.' The list of Schools that you come up with is important - you can get a better sense of the type of GMAT Score that you might need to be considered a 'competitive' applicant and you'll learn what you need to do to apply (as well as the specific application deadlines).

When I asked about how you had scored on your practice CATs, I wasn't asking for just a 'range.' I need to know the exact results of each of your CATS, so that we can determine whether any patterns exist in your performance or not and whether you've gotten 'stuck' or not.

Rich

1) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?
WELL THE SCORES ARE (since i started)
370 Q=37 V=8 Gmatprep
430 Q=38 V=12
470 Q=38 V=17
530 Q= 40 V = 20
560 Q = 42 V= 25
590 Q= 46 V = 27
Latest was disaster 500 Q= 42, V=17 Gmatprep

2) What is your exact Test Date? Maybe till 25 october or before If i reached 650+ in gmatprep
3) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week? In 7 DAYS I can invest 70 hours BECAUSE I LEFT JOB FOR THIS
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi rocko911,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Your 5 most recent CAT Scores show a bit of a larger 'swing' though, but they are within range of one another (about 550 +/- a few points). Since the Official GMAC CATs are the most realistic - and it appears that this last CAT was the only Official one in the last 5, there's some question as to your actual 'ability level' right now (is it closer to 500 or 600?). Until we can get a better sense of the answer to that question, it's difficult to say when you should schedule your Official GMAT.

Right now though, you should do a full review of this recent CAT, with the goal of trying to define WHY you got questions wrong.

After reviewing each section, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
5) How many Verbal questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices' but still get wrong?

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi rocko911,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Your 5 most recent CAT Scores show a bit of a larger 'swing' though, but they are within range of one another (about 550 +/- a few points). Since the Official GMAC CATs are the most realistic - and it appears that this last CAT was the only Official one in the last 5, there's some question as to your actual 'ability level' right now (is it closer to 500 or 600?). Until we can get a better sense of the answer to that question, it's difficult to say when you should schedule your Official GMAT.

Right now though, you should do a full review of this recent CAT, with the goal of trying to define WHY you got questions wrong.

After reviewing each section, how many questions did you get wrong....

Rich

1) Because of a silly/little mistake? 5-6 due to this
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do? Yes, I had less experience with co ordinate and combinations
3) Because the question was too hard? I got 4 passages in verbal even though I was performing very poor and I had less time n panicked n gave random answers
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess? Yes but moreover my RC was a part of disaster
5) How many Verbal questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices' but still get wrong? Mostly SC , Becoz in RC I was so nervous between the choices and 1st RC was very hard , It was on Politics and Very very much info was in that so I messed up and couldnt get confidence back on other RCs
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi rocko911,

Based on what you have described, if your score in BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections can be 'thrown off' from seeing one 'odd' RC prompt, then your immediate needs are NOT SC-related. While you likely would also benefit from some specific SC training, you really need to focus more on RC. While the subject-matter and length of RC prompts can vary on Test Day, the general 'structure' of those prompts falls into predictable patterns, the question types are limited and even the wrong answer choices fall into predictable patterns. The Verbal section of the GMAT (RC, SC and CR) is as consistent and predictable as the Quant section is, but you have to train to properly face it all. Based on the number of little mistakes that you're making and the issues that you have with RC, you will likely need at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study to hit 650+ consistently.

If you've been studying primarily from books, then you might find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led).

Rich
GMAT Club Bot