Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 21:20 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 21:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Admissionado
Send PM
Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ryanleo1993 wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
ryanleo1993 wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks in advance for evaluating my profile and would love to hear your thought on my admission chance at the following schools. Please share your thought on the items in bold.

Target school

Ross, Darden, Johnson and Stern

Post-MBA goal

Investment Banking

Background

Nationality: Malaysian/US Permanent Resident (Does applying for a US citizenship helps during the admission process?)

1. First generation college student and first generation immigrant

Work Experiences and Achievements: Audit Senior at PwC in US, 4 years

1. Special project experiences including a S-1 (Pre-IPO) filing, a $2B IPO and a series of valuation projects during venture capital audit

2. Top ranked performer (top 5% of the class) for 4 consecutive years

Undergraduate: University of California, Santa Barbara

1. Studied abroad at HKUST, Hong Kong for 1 semester and took a few finance courses

CGPA: 3.1 (Its low but can my CPA and GMAT score offset it?)

Major: Economics and Accounting

Certificate: CPA license

GMAT: 720

Leadership/Extracurricular activities/Hobbies/Volunteer Activities:
1. Community service (food bank) - feeds low-income community
2. PwC corporate newsletter
3. Part of PwC corporate marketing team and organized a series of accounting seminar/conference
4. Break-dance performance during college/high-school
5. Backpacking
6. Pro bono consulting - mentored and guided international student in securing internships/full-time offers

Hey dude,
Good to hear from you!

So overall your profile is pretty good. You come from a not over represented country (although a somewhat over represented employer, albeit a good one), you have an excellent GMAT. You've done some pro bono stuff. So all that is good.

I also feel that the school rankings you are aiming at (top 20 ) is about right for your profile (You may also want to look into UNC, which is pretty good for finance within the same range)

Right now there are two things I would bring up: what is unique? interesting? stand out? about your profile? What would make you memorable to the Adcom?

The second thing is your goals: Every single MBA applicant wants to go into IB. But can you justify it? Based on your past experience? You mgiht have an easier time presenting goals to enter into strategy consulting.

I hope this helps,
And feel free to drop a line if you have any other questions,
Best,
JF

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your response!

I would love to hear your thought on my career change story. I became truly interested in IB (specifically in IPO related group) because of the exposure I got during the IPO project I worked on. How does that sound to the AdCom?

Thanks!

Well,

if you get into detail and you can show how the experience is relevant for your goals and maybe even get support from someone int he industry it can help. The concern of the AdCom might be that how do you convince that you can actually get a job in IB when it is the job that EVERYONE wants? But will employers want you? What will make you competitive?

And feel free to drop us a line for a more full-on Free Consultation: https://bit.ly/mbafcGC

Best,
JF
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi,

Please help me evaluate my profile for ISB

Age 34
GMAT 710
IR - 7

10th 71.4%
12th 74.8%
Undergrad 71% from a decent college in Karnataka

GRE -1440/1600
Masters in Computer Science from the University of Illinois Chicago with GPA of 3.64/4.0

Work Experience
Post my masters worked as an Application Engineer for an investment research company for 1 year. As I wanted to work for a startup joined a cloud networking startup( Arista Networks ) in Bay area founded by Co-founder and initial investor in Google. Worked with the same startup in Bay area for 2.5 years. In 2011 I returned to India and was instrumental in setting up, recruiting and training people for Bangalore office. During my employment at Arista I was the lead developer for 71xx series of switches, helping and enabling other colleagues to understand the nuances of the chip and also making sure all the support cases related to 71xx are resolved in a timely manner.

Entrepreneurship
In July 2015, Arista went public which gave me the financial freedom to start my own venture, Funrento - An online toy & book library for kids in the age of 2-8 years. I along with my wife started Funrento, realizing the importance of toys in the development of the child. However, toys in the market are very expensive and little ones do not with these expensive toys for very long. Due to some logistics challenges and difficulty in scaling, we decided to close the online toy library in Jan 2017.

Investment
During the last 2 years, I developed a lot of interest towards public and private investment. I exposed and learned a lot about different kinds of investment vehicles in India such as equity, mutual fund, debt and real estate. Investing in equity exposed me to a lot of financial ratios and parameters which were very helpful when evaluating a public company.

Also, I became an angel investor in 2 early stage startups, advising them on the strategy and helping them raise more funds from family and friends

Travelling
I also have a passion for traveling and have been doing a lot of Domestic as well as International travel over the past 2 years. I have traveled to South Africa, Greece, Australia, Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia

Volunteer Work
In 2017 I started working on a website with the aim of helping parents select schools based on reviews and facilities. This is still work in progress

I am also an active volunteer for Art of Living, humanitarian and educational non-governmental organizations, founded by Sri Sri Ravi Shankar Ji. I have recently organized a happiness course for 50 participants in our residential complex.

After I closed my venture in January 2017 I started to learn more about investments and became an angel investor in 2 early stage startups. Also I spent some time learning about investments in Indian equity and debt. I wanted to understand if not having a full-time job currently will hurt my chances to get into prestigious B-Schools such as LBS, Oxford, INSEAD
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
sabicha wrote:
Hi,

Please help me evaluate my profile for ISB

Age 34
GMAT 710
IR - 7

10th 71.4%
12th 74.8%
Undergrad 71% from a decent college in Karnataka

GRE -1440/1600
Masters in Computer Science from the University of Illinois Chicago with GPA of 3.64/4.0

Work Experience
Post my masters worked as an Application Engineer for an investment research company for 1 year. As I wanted to work for a startup joined a cloud networking startup( Arista Networks ) in Bay area founded by Co-founder and initial investor in Google. Worked with the same startup in Bay area for 2.5 years. In 2011 I returned to India and was instrumental in setting up, recruiting and training people for Bangalore office. During my employment at Arista I was the lead developer for 71xx series of switches, helping and enabling other colleagues to understand the nuances of the chip and also making sure all the support cases related to 71xx are resolved in a timely manner.

Entrepreneurship
In July 2015, Arista went public which gave me the financial freedom to start my own venture, Funrento - An online toy & book library for kids in the age of 2-8 years. I along with my wife started Funrento, realizing the importance of toys in the development of the child. However, toys in the market are very expensive and little ones do not with these expensive toys for very long. Due to some logistics challenges and difficulty in scaling, we decided to close the online toy library in Jan 2017.

Investment
During the last 2 years, I developed a lot of interest towards public and private investment. I exposed and learned a lot about different kinds of investment vehicles in India such as equity, mutual fund, debt and real estate. Investing in equity exposed me to a lot of financial ratios and parameters which were very helpful when evaluating a public company.

Also, I became an angel investor in 2 early stage startups, advising them on the strategy and helping them raise more funds from family and friends

Travelling
I also have a passion for traveling and have been doing a lot of Domestic as well as International travel over the past 2 years. I have traveled to South Africa, Greece, Australia, Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia

Volunteer Work
In 2017 I started working on a website with the aim of helping parents select schools based on reviews and facilities. This is still work in progress

I am also an active volunteer for Art of Living, humanitarian and educational non-governmental organizations, founded by Sri Sri Ravi Shankar Ji. I have recently organized a happiness course for 50 participants in our residential complex.

After I closed my venture in January 2017 I started to learn more about investments and became an angel investor in 2 early stage startups. Also I spent some time learning about investments in Indian equity and debt. I wanted to understand if not having a full-time job currently will hurt my chances to get into prestigious B-Schools such as LBS, Oxford, INSEAD

Hey there,
Soooo lots of stuff here. First of all about the non-full time job. It can be a benefit or liability. A lot depends on what you have been doing instead, how big it is, and how successful you have been.

In general, from what you have written here it doesn't seem like it would be that great for you. But I hope you have enough to make a good case for yourself. Plus since your startup only ended a few months ago its not a big deal. However, keep in mind that you will have another entire year before you matriculate, and that the schools will be curious as to what you will do in that year.

A lot will depend on the story that you tell, on the goals you have...

Other than that, I should say that your school list might be a bit tough. Your an older candidate and with the weakness off the not having a job, it might make things a touch more complicated....

If you have any other questions. or thoughts, please do not hesitate to write.

Best,
JF
Moderator:
Admissionado
9221 posts