Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 02:47 It is currently 02 May 2024, 02:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65034 [0]
Given Kudos: 429
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11672 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Stuck at 680! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi jessicalin01,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your 3 CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 690 +/- a few points). After taking each CAT, it's important to do a full review of your performance (with the goal of trying to determine WHY you got questions wrong). Beyond that analysis, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) Have you taken any CATs besides these 3 (and how have you scored on them?)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi jessicalin01,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your 3 CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 690 +/- a few points). After taking each CAT, it's important to do a full review of your performance (with the goal of trying to determine WHY you got questions wrong). Beyond that analysis, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) Have you taken any CATs besides these 3 (and how have you scored on them?)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Hi Rich,

1) I've been studying for a couple of months, with more intensity in the past month.
2) I've used the official guide, and done the practice problems from GMAT Prep and the exams were from the free pack and exam pack 1 & 2. I've supplemented with Magoosh flashcards and used some of the tricky questions on gmatclub
3) No

4) 720-730
5) Two weeks
6) Depends on score
7) Depends on score

When I look into the question types I get wrong, they're variable! There's no real trend. I think for Quant, my problem is trying to identify the quick way to solve problems. I feel like I get tripped up over probability and counting questions, but actually tend to do pretty okay on them in the CATs I've taken.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jessicalin01,

At higher-and-higher scoring levels, the GMAT becomes really 'sensitive' to little mistakes (especially on 'gettable' questions), so we need to know a bit more about your most recent CAT score.

After reviewing each section, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
5) How many Verbal questions did you "narrow down to 2 choices" and get correct/incorrect?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
jessicalin01 wrote:
I've taken 3 GMAT Prep official tests and scored the same on all 3 - any pointers on how to get "unstuck?"

Exam 1: Quant: 46, Verbal: 37
Exam 2: Quant: 44, Verbal: 39
Exam 3: Quant: 42, Verbal 41

I've been focusing on Quant and that score is going down! Haven't studied verbal at all and that is going up!

My suggestion would be to ignore the score and instead focus on identifying your weaknesses. You have taken 3 tests - figure out why your Quant score is going down. Do you have problems in certain topics? Or do you have problems in advanced applications of some? Also,find out which is your weakest section in Verbal and pay some extra attention to that for a few days.
Use the tests to gauge how you can improve your score in both Quant and Verbal.

Thank you! I think I end up over-complicating problems and miss obvious solutions, kind of across the board, not just in one question type.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi jessicalin01,

At higher-and-higher scoring levels, the GMAT becomes really 'sensitive' to little mistakes (especially on 'gettable' questions), so we need to know a bit more about your most recent CAT score.

After reviewing each section, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
5) How many Verbal questions did you "narrow down to 2 choices" and get correct/incorrect?

Rich

I am making silly mistakes. As I review, some of them I'm totally kicking myself because the answer is obvious. Others, I'm just over-complicating the problem and not seeing the easy solution. And towards the end of this last one, I did run out of time, which doesn't usually happen. I ended up guessing on the last two questions. I spent way too much time on a very hard problem, which I ended up getting correct, but probably wasn't worth it.

It's questions like "Let a,b,c,&d be nonzero real numbers. If the quadratic equation ax(cx+d)=-b(cx+d) is solved for x, which of the following is a possible ratio of the 2 solutions" where I immediately go to start multiplying it out and thinking about how to solve for x using the quadratic formula, instead of seeing the commonality of the (cx+d) on both sides and combining it into (ax+b) * (cx+d) = 0
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jessicalin01,

If the most common 'cause' of your wrong answers is silly/little mistakes, then your focus should be on the 'precision' in your work. Taking the proper notes and doing the necessary work "on the pad" (NOT 'in your head') is an essential part of keeping those little mistakes from happening. To hit your goal score, you really have to keep the little mistakes to a minimum; until you eliminate those mistakes completely, then 'hard' questions aren't really worth your time.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot