Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 23:55 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 23:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2445 [14]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28582 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [3]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: The figure above shows the dimensions of a living room floor that is [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi sagnik242,

The prompt tells us that the floor has to be covered by 2 different RECTANGLE carpets that do NOT overlap. Since the room is NOT a rectangle, we have two different ways to place rectangle carpets within it.

1) 2 carpets laid down 'left-to-right'
2) 2 carpets laid down 'north-to-south'

For the first option, the dimensions of the two carpets would be 13x16 and 5x20

For the second option, the dimensions of the two carpets would be 18x12 and 5x4

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 208
Concentration: Economics, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V47
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Re: The figure above shows the dimensions of a living room floor that is [#permalink]
The common error that usually hits us is when we look at the diagram as two halves divided at the particular segment as made evident by the image.
Thinking like a business solver and look for other possibilities that what meets the eye.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
This problem tricked me initially. I thought the smaller segment - DEF(G)- was a square. I think the best way to solve this problem is as follows:

1. Draw an imaginary line from point D down to line AF. This creates a smaller rectangle with an area of 20 (4*5).
2. Now find the sides of the larger rectangle: 16-4 = 12, which is the length, and 13+5 = 18, which is the width. Multiply these two figures together and you get 216 (18*12), which is the answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 218
Schools: IE
GPA: 1
Send PM
I wish the could specify that the carpet used would miss leave out part of the geometry as the 216 area leaves out the 20 area.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 117
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Retail Banking)
Send PM
The Question is easy, but I have a comment that is not quant related; I just like to shoot at those who claim to provide something standardized but are not consequent and consistent. Well, I know that this is an official question, but how often is that GMAC does not comply with its own rules, e.g. should not it be "larger" instead of "largest", we are talking about 2 carpets, not 3+ .... -.-
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
solchtamas wrote:
The Question is easy, but I have a comment that is not quant related; I just like to shoot at those who claim to provide something standardized but are not consequent and consistent. Well, I know that this is an official question, but how often is that GMAC does not comply with its own rules, e.g. should not it be "larger" instead of "largest", we are talking about 2 carpets, not 3+ .... -.-

Hi solchtamas,

There are actually 2 different ways to cover the entire floor - and each of the two options requires that 2 rectangular carpets of different sizes be used. When considering both options, there are actually 4 carpets that you have to consider (not just 2), so the usage of the word "largest" is appropriate in the context of this question.

Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Bunuel, GMATNinja, I divided this area into two rectangles with sides 13*12 and 5*16. Then, I determined that rectangle with sides 13*12 will have a larger area, and selected incorrect answer choice B. What would be your advise on what things I need to focus in the other similar problems, so I don't repeat the same mistake as I did in this problem?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi tkorzhan1995,

The 'quirk' with this PS question (re: there's more than one way to cover the floor using 2 rectangular pieces of carpet) does not appear too often in PS questions, but the issue that ultimately led you to one of the incorrect answers is about the 'thoroughness' of your thinking (which IS a big part of correctly answering many DS questions, so that issue is worth noting). When you first read this question, you saw an immediate way to create two pieces of carpet, so why didn't you see the other way? It might be because you weren't careful about reading the prompt.

GMAT questions are almost always really specifically-worded - so you should note the exact vocabulary that appears in each prompt; here, the usage of the word "largest" is interesting. If there were only two possible pieces of carpet to be used, then the word "larger" would be correct - but the wording here gives us just a little bit of a hint that there are more than 2 possible pieces that can be used to cover this floorplan. There are actually 4 pieces that you have to consider (depending on how you 'split' the space), so the usage of the word "largest" is appropriate in the context of this question (and a clue that we need to check more than just whatever option each of us notices first).

Rich
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92977 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts