Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:51 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [3]
Given Kudos: 23
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Re: How to not "f" up your GMAT prep and an MBA dream [#permalink]
pentek123456 wrote:
If you feel that you procrastinate a lot then just get a good personal tutor who will keep you on track and motivated. There are tons of tutors available all over the world and they teach via skype so you don't even have to travel far to get access to a good tutor. It's better to spend bit more money on a tutor and get the GMAT over with then procrastinate and waste your time.

I agree with your point, thats why I went with Empower. It has structure and the course access is limited to 1 or 3 months. So you have to finish it. I am going to use this forum also to keep check on my prep with regular posts. But I will keep looking for a personal tutor just in case I start procrastinating again.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
1) When was the last time you took a practice CAT (and was it in the new, shorter format?)?
2) How have you scored on each of your CATs over the last month (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?

Rich

1) When was the last time you took a practice CAT (and was it in the new, shorter format?)? ---> I took the test 1 month back. And it was in the older section than new one.
2) How have you scored on each of your CATs over the last month (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)? Q:44, V: 28 overall: 590 (Manhattan test)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi MrCleantek,

Procrastination can sometimes be based on the the perceived 'magnitude' a task. While there are certainly a lot of 'little' things that you would need to know to score at a high level on the GMAT, the reality is that the Exam is remarkably consistent and predictable - so you CAN train to score at a higher level. The key word there is "train" though - you have to commit to the task and focus on honing the necessary skills. This will almost certainly require that you learn and practice some new Tactics (but what do you think is going to happen in Business School - and beyond!).

Early last month, GMAC made a formal announcement defining some changes that will be taking place to the format of the Official GMAT (which began April 16, 2018). These changes primarily impact the overall length of the Exam (meaning the number of questions in the Quant and Verbal sections as well as the amount of time that you’ll have to complete each of those two sections). In theory, a shorter Exam could make it easier for a well-prepared Test Taker to score higher.

1) When was the last time you took a practice CAT (and was it in the new, shorter format?)?
2) How have you scored on each of your CATs over the last month (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

You know I must say. I love your course. Its precise and very well planned. You know I had seen "The Accountant" movie just before the course and when I listened your lecture it felt like the "accountant" was teaching me. That military style language(jargon to be precise) and clear thought process reminds me that Christian Wolf (Ben Affleck) is teaching me :) Keep up the good work you are doing!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi MrCleantek,

Since the 'new' format of the GMAT is a shorter Exam, the next logical step would be to see how well you perform under those conditions. As such, I strongly recommend that you take one of the new, shorter CATs (using a 'brand' of CAT that you have NOT used before) and take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back here and we can discuss the results.

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Rich, I will take the test in some days from now and post the results here. I am thinking I will go with the official GMAT practice test for this one, so that it will be closure to the actual test and structure. If you think I should try something else then please let me know.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 154
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: Sauder '20
GMAT Date: 06-26-2015
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 2.75
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
[quote="MrCleantek"]

Hey Hi MrCleantek,

I read many stories on GMAT club ranging from a guy who was superfluous with a wooing 700 to a guy who was damn disappointed with a 430 on GMAT, I must say that your post is the funniest one of all. I really can understand that it gets so difficult when one tries to get better on GMAT and the performance is going on a tuff patch. In fact, my profile is similar to yours. Even on the procrastinator front.

I'm as stressful as you regarding the GMAT preparation. I have taken a bunch of GMAT courses and did all I can. But lately, I understood that GMAT preparation is not about the courses or techniques or strategies. But the struggle is to make a Cycle or a well-structured process to beat this beast. Once we hit the sweet spot, then we are unbeatable. We have a tool not only to tack GMAT but to tackle any difficult task in the career.

So, What Am I doing now with GMAT preparation?

1. Stop searching what works and what doesn't work: I mean to say, there are gazillion ways to solve questions on GMAT. But You are the ONLY person who can know what works for you. So, delve into solving each and every type of a question. Be sure to solve back to front, side to side and up to bottom.

2. Cut the crap: Like strategies, GMAT practice material is abundant on the Internet. You need to go through ONLY OFFICIAL MATERIAL. I strongly believe No one can mimic the GMAT material. Well, everyone tries to mimic and most popular courses will be best at convincing you that they are the best. But they are NOT in all aspects of GMAT. So, you should be confident with your skill in knowing what is GMAT like material and what is not.

3. Patience: By now you would be aware that GMAT is not a happy and rosy journey. It is wild, time sucking and sometimes irritating journey. We have to make peace with it. Accept that it is going to difficult. So, Buddha.... Patience buddy.. Patience...

Above all what is the biggest investment???? ................

You are right ... It is time.... Most of the people tell that they cleared the exam in 2 weeks ,no no 2 days, no no 2 secs... Tell to yourself, MrCleantek is going to take his time. But eventually, MrCleantek will get there.

Hope This words help.... I will wait for your success story here. :thumbup:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
shra1raju wrote:

You are right ... It is time.... Most of the people tell that they cleared the exam in 2 weeks ,no no 2 days, no no 2 secs... Tell to yourself, MrCleantek is going to take his time. But eventually, MrCleantek will get there.

Hope This words help.... I will wait for your success story here. :thumbup:

Hi Raju,
Thanks for those wonderful encouraging words :)
You are right, only I know how I can help myself. Course can only give structure but not how to handle your ****! :)

You know what, we "procrastinators" thrive in confusion and abundance. We just say there is so much to plan and need more time to plan. Let plan the **** out of it and never start. WaitButWhy's Tim Urban said this "Doing is procrastinators kryptonite". When procrastinators read that, something inside them rattles and you realize what a phony you have been!

PS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arj7oStGLkU
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi MrCleantek,

Since the 'new' format of the GMAT is a shorter Exam, the next logical step would be to see how well you perform under those conditions. As such, I strongly recommend that you take one of the new, shorter CATs (using a 'brand' of CAT that you have NOT used before) and take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back here and we can discuss the results.

Rich

Hi Rich and others,
I took the exam and here are the scores. Let me know what you guys think.
I took it from the MGMAT free tests pack
Quant------ 42 45%
Verbal------ 36 81%
Total------ 640 70%

Analysis is going on and will post that in few days
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi MrCleantek,

Since you've used MGMAT CATs before - and your Verbal Scaled Score on this CAT is considerably higher than your Verbal Scaled Score on your last CAT - had you seen any of the Verbal questions on this CAT before (either on a prior CAT or in the forums here)?

"Review" is an exceptionally important part of the GMAT training process; your ability to define WHY you're getting questions wrong is essential to defining the areas that you need to work on (and the specific things that you need to 'fix '). As such, I'd like to know a bit more about this CAT. While a full Mistake Tracker would provide a lot more information, there are some basic questions that you should be able to answer (and the more EXACT you can be with your answers, the better):

After reviewing each section of this recent CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
5) How many Verbal questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices' but still get wrong?

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
After reviewing each section of this recent CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
5) How many Verbal questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices' but still get wrong?

Rich

These pointers will surely help me. I will reply with the details along with these pointers. This analysis will take a long to finish. That is what is expected anyway. Thanks much...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi MrCleantek,

Since you've used MGMAT CATs before - and your Verbal Scaled Score on this CAT is considerably higher than your Verbal Scaled Score on your last CAT - had you seen any of the Verbal questions on this CAT before (either on a prior CAT or in the forums here)?

"Review" is an exceptionally important part of the GMAT training process; your ability to define WHY you're getting questions wrong is essential to defining the areas that you need to work on (and the specific things that you need to 'fix '). As such, I'd like to know a bit more about this CAT. While a full Mistake Tracker would provide a lot more information, there are some basic questions that you should be able to answer (and the more EXACT you can be with your answers, the better):

Rich

Well I did a quick analysis of the last test. Here are the details...
Quant I made mistakes in these categories. Silly mistake took 6 questions!! I will be working on that. Most of the questions were in 500-600 and 600-700 level.
Concept: 5
Silly: 6
Assumption issue: 1
Word Problem issue(did not convert from word to math correctly): 1

Verbal here is the breakup as given by MGMAT: RC is in bad shape and SC follows behind
Question Format Total Correct Incorrect Blank % Correct
Critical Reasoning 10 7 3 0 70%
600 - 700 4 3 1 75%
700 - 800 6 4 2 67%

Reading Comprehension 12 5 7 0 42%
600 - 700 3 2 1 67%
700 - 800 9 3 6 33%

Sentence Correction 14 9 5 0 64%
600 - 700 9 7 2 78%
700 - 800 5 2 3 40%

NOTE: I went with Magoosh with 149$ for 1 year subscription. I heard great reviews about it also. Looking at my background I thought I should get on a strict schedule right away for Sep 3rd 2018 exam date. Initially I thought I will study on my own till July and go with Empower for 1 month, but I got scared that I might procrastinate and blow it. Empower got little costly when we go for per month subscription basis! :( I loved Empower first...now I like Magoosh too...:)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts