Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [30]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [6]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42105 [6]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [4]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: Avoiding split-brain syndrome may be possible in [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
ftwsday wrote:
Avoiding split-brain syndrome may be possible in patients undergoing split-brain surgery if the corpus collosum is not severed entirely, but instead is left partially intact.

A. Avoiding split-brain syndrome may be possible
B. Avoiding split-brain syndrome may be a possibility
C. It may be possible to avoid split-brain syndrome
D. It may be possible that split-brain syndrome is avoided
E. Avoiding split-brain syndrome is possible

Source: Kaplan
It seems that this question is out of the scope of GMAT problems

Dear ftwsday,
I'm happy to weigh in with my two cents on this. :-)

I agree: I think something is funky about this question. I don't think it is a very good SC question.

I could see an argument that "may be possible" is redundant ---- the word "possible" already implies something may or may not happen, so there's arguably a bit of redundancy in the phrase "may be possible". If they were testing that, I could see an argument for answer choice (E), the only one that avoids this. Aside from that, I see no problem in answer choice (A), and certainly don't see how (C) is an improvement on (A). Whatever criteria they have in mind for this question is not something the GMAT SC section will test.

Here's a high quality GMAT SC practice question for you:
https://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3563

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Mike :-)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Hi Mike.

Thank you for your explanation. It does help. I'm still wondering why the syntax "may be possible" is used quite often even in official writing? According to American English in general and GMAT field in particular, is the syntax considered redundant? I just pay my attention to GMAT/American English.

Please kindly confirm.

Thank you in advance.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Expert Reply
pqhai wrote:
Hi Mike.

Thank you for your explanation. It does help. I'm still wondering why the syntax "may be possible" is used quite often even in official writing? According to American English in general and GMAT field in particular, is the syntax considered redundant? I just pay my attention to GMAT/American English.

Please kindly confirm.

Thank you in advance.

Dear pqhai,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

Here, we are getting into a level of logical hair-splitting far beyond anything the GMAT would test.

In some scenarios, we know with certainty that something is a possibility. If I draw 5 cards from a full 52-card deck, it is possible, though unlikely, that I will draw a straight. It may not happen, even on ten tries, but it definitely is always a possibility. BTW, the exact probability is about 0.0039. In this scenario, the phrase "may be possible" would be entirely redundant.

In other scenarios, in which the future is unknown, it even the array of possibilities might be unknown. For example:
When we travel for three hours in the snow and get to the isolated cabin, it may be possible to call the nearest town.
In other words, in that scenario, we don't know whether the land-line phone in the cabin will be operational when we arrive. If the phone is operational, then calling the nearest town will be a possibility, but before we arrive, we don't know the state of the phone. In such scenarios, the phrase "may be possible" would definitely not be redundant --- it would be accurate.

Now, in the SC question above, is the array of possibilities already determined, and we just don't know which result will arise within this fixed array? Or is the array itself in question? That's not clear to me. I just suggested the possibility of redundancy as an attempt to create any meaningful split among the answer choices. I think the question is predicated on splits far less sophisticated than what we are discussing here.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Thanks Mike and Kyle.
I saw both of you arrived to the same conclusion - "may be possible" is not totally wrong in English. Frankly, it took me a while to digest your idea that targets at meaning splitting, not only grammars. It's clear now. :)
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Expert Reply
Glad to help. You do need to be aware of meaning differences from one sentence to another. These meaning "splits" will often come from changes in word choice. Luckily, there is some overlap between meaning and grammar because the GMAT will use a lot of misplaced Modifiers to mess with the meaning.

KW
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
The reason why I chose C is because IMO "split-brain syndrome in patients" belongs together. There would be some meaning ambiguity if the two parts would be separated.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1603 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
ftwsday wrote:
Avoiding split-brain syndrome may be possible in patients undergoing split-brain surgery if the corpus collosum is not severed entirely, but instead is left partially intact.

I don't see any problem with (E) also. Please clarify the subtle differences in all the answer choices.

egmat
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
I agree with AkshdeepS about choice E
I choose E as it is correct meaning wise and also doesnt contain redundancy of may and possible.

If any expert could shed light on why C is preferred over E
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
thanks daagh for wonderful explanation.

I have also eliminated choice C because of presence of "may be and possible " usage.Thanks for your inputs
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [0]
Given Kudos: 211
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
[quote="ftwsday"]Avoiding split-brain syndrome may be possible in patients undergoing split-brain surgery if the corpus collosum is not severed entirely, but instead is left partially intact.

Even though question is bit fishy for GMAT,I see C as the best choice considering meaning and word order in all the options.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
To begin with, we should discard E as an option. E has a slight change in meaning from the original sentence. The original sentence says that avoiding split-brain syndrome may be possible but E says that it definitely is. Now looking at the remaining options, A and B seem to have dangling modifiers. In these options it is not made clear who exactly may have split-brain syndrome. Now between C and D, C definitely seems to be the better option because it is much more concise than D.

I am going to go with option C.
Own Kudos [?]: 7777 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
The meaning problem in E is definitely worthy of concern. We don't have to stick with the meaning in A, but when 4/5 choices all agree on the meaning, and that meaning doesn't seem problematic, then we probably want to stick with it.

Careful about the "modifier" issue at the beginning, though. "Avoiding" is a noun (gerund), so that part is not a modifier, but rather the subject of the sentence for A and B. The problem there is with "may be possible in patients." The sentence is trying to say that it may be possible to avoid the syndrome. Where/in which cases? In patients undergoing surgery. That is conveyed well in C, but A and B jumble the order, creating confusion. It almost sounds as if this is possible inside the patients but not outside! ;)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts