Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:37 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8811 [12]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8833 [4]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 439 [2]
Given Kudos: 489
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: Numerous investigations have been made to test the validity of the the [#permalink]
Kudos
I think this a 700 level question.
1. The answer should be B
A: The author is not interested about the intent of sociologists. The author care less about whether the intent of sociologist's intent is subjective or objective. Plus the author bought out a flaw for the initial experiment. Hence the author would not likely agree with this option. Eliminate A
Excerpt from passage : However, it is arguable as to how uncontaminated these experiments were
B: correct
Excerpt from the passage : The results conclusively supported the hypothesis that specific facial behaviors are associated with specific emotions across various cultures.
This means the author is only concerned about the facial behaviors and its inter-dependency on emotions. Further, these emotions act as a trigger for unique facial expressions. so what triggers these emotions is immaterial and may vary across the cultures. For example, lets talk about the emotion "happy". According to sociologists being happy creates or triggers specific facial expression. This expression is universal across all cultures. But what generates the emotion "happy" could vary or remain same across the cultures.
C: We cannot infer from the passage that whether Pre-literature societies are normally against contact with any kind of Western exposure. We only know that samples from these societies may not support the result since there may be a chance of cultural exchange. Hence eliminate.
D: Out of scope. easy elimination
E: The passage doesnot talks about the depth of knowledge of the Sociologists who do not agree that universals exists in facial behavior associated with emotion across cultures. Eliminate.
2. Lets breakdown the passage paragraphs :
paragraph 1 : Introduction of theory or hypothesis
paragraph 2 : Analysis of hypothesis using experiments and reaching a conclusion
paragraph 3 : raising a consideration
Straight C
3. Paragraph 3 raises a consideration. The difference between criticizing and consideration is subtle. Here the author is not arguing or criticizing the conclusion but is asking for a careful thought or deliberation. We need to check the tone of the paragraph and the trigger word is "however". The author says that there may be some specific cases where there may exist a cultural difference in emotional expression.
Hence the answer should be D
4. Lets do POE
A: eliminate. There is no evidence of this in the passage. A flaw was detected during the analysis of experiment 1 and subsequently, those flaws were removed during experiment 2
B: We do-not have any trigger words or any numerical value that would suggest about the number of supporters on each side of hypothesis. Hence eliminate.
C: The subject's awareness regarding their knowledge of western culture is immaterial and not addressed in the passage. We don't anything regarding the subjects of experimentation. hence eliminate C
D: We only know from the passage that "all the subjects, even those from the pre-literature societies, came from cultures that had had exposure to some of the same mass media portrayals of facial behavior in Western cultures."
Whether this mass media portrayals are same or not is not mentioned in the passage. Hence eliminate D
E: only remaining option. Hence must be the answer
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5652 [2]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Re: Numerous investigations have been made to test the validity of the the [#permalink]
Kudos
P1 - facial behaviors associated with emotions are universal ----- +/- exists.
P2 - sociologists are analysing this theory.How is given. Some gaps in theory are given. lastly the conclusion.
P3 - another study introduced, and final conclusion given in favor of theory in P1.
P4 - lack of emotional facial behavior is touched. with no missing culture msg.

Main point - though it is dibatable, facial behaviors associated with emotions are universal. experimental evidence presented.

1. Which of the following statements would the author most likely agree with?
A. One of the two studies undertaken by the team of sociologists was more objective in its approach since it unknowingly chose specific kinds of subjects. - NO
B. In one culture, happiness could be a follow-up emotion of a situation that is dissimilar to the circumstances that lead up to it in another culture. - correct
C. Pre-literature societies are normally against contact with any kind of Western exposure. - no
D. College graduates from Chile and Argentina were more likely to have experienced the same kind of mass media exposure to portrayals of facial behavior in Western cultures than those from Japan. - no
E. Sociologists who do not agree that universals exists in facial behavior associated with emotion across cultures do not have an in depth knowledge of the topic. - no

------------------------------------------------------

2. The author is primarily concerned with
A. To contrast the basis for two contradictory views and side with one - not covering entire passage.
B. To highlight commonalities between two studies while showing how one trumps the other - NO
C. To analyze a hypothesis through a discussion on two studies and to raise a consideration - This one is the best , covering all the grounds.
D. To introduce a theory and evaluate various studies arguing for and against its validity - No
E. To criticize an experiment on the basis that it may have been contaminated - no

-------------------------------------------------------

3. Which of the following most aptly describes the function of the final paragraph?
A. To warn against a - No myth
B. To criticize a particular implication of the studies - criticize is too harsh.
C. To caution against an overly optimistic conclusion - may be.
D. To raise a consideration - May be
E. To initiate a new unrelated discussion - no

clash in c vs d - rule is dont choose extreme choice . and with "optimistic conclusion" C is extreme. d should be the answer.

------------------------------------------------------

4. Which of the following is mentioned in the passage?
A. The results of the experiments of the first study were tampered with. - no
B. There are more people who believe in the universals in emotional facial behavior than the other way around. - No such thing is given.
C. The subjects of the experiment were not aware of their knowledge of Western culture. - not clear.
D. Portrayals of facial behavior in mass media are the same in different cultures. - no
E. The subject of universals in facial behaviors associated with emotions is well researched. - last left. should be answer. well "Numerous investigations" are there to back it up.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
Send PM
7:30 min total.

I am still not able to compete myself in RC. How to make first approach? Should I read the whole para at the very first? Or question stem at first.. I would appreciate if any strategic advices in RC.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Diwakar003 wrote:
Could someone please explain how E is the answer for the fourth question? I'm not able to understand the explanation given in the spoiler. Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

The first sentence is "Numerous investigations have been made to test the validity of the theory that facial behaviors associated with emotions are universal.". By saying that numerous investigations have been made, you can understand that the topic is well researched..

hongg7 same for you
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts