Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:27 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1603 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: Improve Q score from 35 to 45 and V score from 30 to 40 [#permalink]
sohailss11 wrote:
Hello. I know there have been many threads on GMAT Club. However, it would be much appreciated if someone could help me out with this. I took the Manhattan CAT 2 and got a 520 - Q.38 and V24. My verbal score is usually around Q.30, and my GMAT score on the last GPRep 2 was 580.

Posted from my mobile device

I would strongly suggest you to try Target Test Prep. You can try their 5 days trial for $1. IMO TTP is the best quant prep course available, and I can say this as I have tried many others.

Other than this GMAT club math quizzes are best. But they are on a bit higher side of difficulty. You can try GMAT club tests when you start scoring above Q45 or so.

You can go through this link ; https://blog.targettestprep.com/how-to- ... -on-gmat/#

For Verbal, you should go for e-gmat, or Empowergmat.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello,

Answering your questions,

1) Since May 24th
2) GMAT Official Guide 2018, Jamboree books (2) and their online portal, GMAT Club resources, Manhattan Guides
3) GMAT Prep 1/2 - 480 - 520 - 580
Manhattan CAT - 520 - 710
4) Goal score - 650 - 700 (I am going for a Master's in Marketing course - UK)
5) Anytime this month
6) Application process is on
7) Schools:
- Imperial
- Bath
- Cass
- King's

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sohailss11,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, three of your CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 550 +/- a few points). You listed a 710, but that appears to be a significant 'outlier' relative to the other Scores, so we cannot assume that that is an accurate result. Assuming that these Scores are accurate, and that your general 'ability level' is in the mid-500s, raising a 550 to a 650+ will likely require at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. However, you will likely need more time than you have allotted to get to the point that you are consistently scoring at that higher level.

1) What are the exact application deadlines for each of the Programs that you plan to apply to?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey!

1) Most of the schools are open for applications until June 2019.
2) I am only preparing for the GMAT, so I can devote 4 hours per week.

Note: If I could get my score to 650, it would do. However, I want to give my exam by the end of this month. It's been 6 months since I started preparing. I guess I can't take more :p. Will give another Manhattan CAT tomorrow. As the schools (except Imperial) don't require a GMAT score, I am only giving it to increase my chances of receiving a place in a given school.

Thanks,
Sohail

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sohailss11,

Since you are not facing any immediate application deadlines, there is no good reason for you to try to 'rush' towards a Test Date when it does not appear that you are likely to hit your Score Goal. While I understand that you might want to 'be done' with your studies, if a 650+ Score would provide some type of significant/meaningful benefit to your application(s), then earning that Score should be your Goal. With just a bit more time and some focused, guided study, you could have a reasonable shot at testing in mid-to-late January and hitting that Score.

It's not clear when you took your last CAT, but if it was some time in the last 3-4 days, then you should not take another CAT so soon. A CAT is really a 'measuring device' - when used correctly, it will give you a realistic score and help define your strengths and weaknesses, but it will NOT help you to fix any of those weaknesses. To raise your scores, you have to learn the necessary Tactics and put in the proper practice and repetitions. The CAT will show you whether your studies are helping you to improve or not. As such, you really shouldn't take more than 1 FULL CAT per week.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22056 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sohailss11,

Did you end up taking your GMAT? If so, how did it go?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello,

Unfortunately,the earliest I could book my date for, is 17th December. So I'll have to wait for then. My mock scores were pretty good.
Manhattan
CAT 6: 690
CAT 5: 680
CAT 4: 680
CAT 3: 620
CAT 2: 710
CAT 1: 580

GMAT Club Bot