Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 03:48 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 03:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 449 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Re: DS : Gmatprep [#permalink]
E.

Fever -> F, Inflammation -> I, Total -> T, Neither -> N

F + I - F (intersection) I + N = T

20 + I - F (intersection) I + 880 = 1000

Cannot find only F, as only F -> F - F (intersection) I
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Send PM
Creating a grid for the problem should make this easier.

Let x be the variable to find.

S1: 880 children had no inflammation and no fever.

This is not sufficient to determine Inflammation and No fever count. Not sufficient.

S2: No Inflammation and Fever = 20

Again not sufficient.

S1 & S2: 20+ 880+x = 1000
Sufficient.

Therefore C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Are you sure hass_mba07. The second statement doesn't say "fever no inflamation". It just says 20 people have fever. (Of which who knows there could be any number of people with both fever and inflamation
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Send PM
I didn't use the "fever & no inflammation" row of my grid. Used the bottom total for "fever" which is either with inflammation and without inflammation .

If you read the rows as Inflammation/No Inflammation and the columns as "fever/no fever" and the end of the row and columns as total (on the right of rows and bottom of the columns) you should have 1000 as the total.

rnachloo wrote:
Are you sure hass_mba07. The second statement doesn't say "fever no inflamation". It just says 20 people have fever. (Of which who knows there could be any number of people with both fever and inflamation

Attachments

DS_Sets_Problem.JPG
DS_Sets_Problem.JPG [ 11.31 KiB | Viewed 1183 times ]

Manager
Manager
Send PM
haas_mba07 wrote:
I didn't use the "fever & no inflammation" row of my grid. Used the bottom total for "fever" which is either with inflammation and without inflammation .

If you read the rows as Inflammation/No Inflammation and the columns as "fever/no fever" and the end of the row and columns as total (on the right of rows and bottom of the columns) you should have 1000 as the total.

rnachloo wrote:

You are assuming that there are no cases wiith both inflammation and fever .. The question doesnt say that there are no cases with both, but it doesnt deny either.. So, shd we not consider cases with both inflammation and fever.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sgrover wrote:
haas_mba07 wrote:

rnachloo wrote:

You are assuming that there are no cases wiith both inflammation and fever .. The question doesnt say that there are no cases with both, but it doesnt deny either.. So, shd we not consider cases with both inflammation and fever.

My mistake.. Fever cases include the common cases as well.. somehow got confused.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 449 [0]
Send PM
sgrover wrote:
haas_mba07 wrote:

rnachloo wrote:

good question............

if there are any cases of inflamation and fever, that is only possible with 20 people who have fever.

lets suppose 15 people who have fever also have inflamation. then still we have the same number of people (100) with inflamation cuz it doesnot affect the people with only inflamation.

since we have information about the people who have fever, it is sufficient to know the number of people with iflamation only.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
It's C
No math needed
880 were symptom free
They either had fever or inflammation, but not both
100 developed inflammation..

Although I do think the question could have been worded better ,but thay may have tipped people off...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 593 [0]
Send PM
Good Question and a nice trap.

We are so used to looking at traps that sometimes miss the obvious.

We have 1000 people, 880 without Immflamation or fever and 20 with fever.
Rest is 100.
Now these 100 surely donot have any fever as the number of people with fever is mentioned. And they surely are suffering from immflamation as the number of people not having any is also mentioned.
So the only choice left is Immflamation
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
sgrover wrote:
Please explain

1)this is not ggod enough
2) again here we have 20 having fever
so if take both the options then

total=1000
neither Fever not Inflammation = 880 i.e. either F or I =(1000 - 880)=120
now, F=20
hence only I=120-20=100

so ans should be C

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Data Sufficiency (DS) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92964 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts
GMAT Tutor
1905 posts