Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:45 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [3]
Given Kudos: 140
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Re: Emory ($$$) vs Vanderbilt ($$$$) [#permalink]
Thank you teleste and abhimahna for offering me insights.
I am not dead set on consulting because the chance of landing a consulting job is rather slim. My discussion with a few friends studying at schools like Darden, Duke or UNC confirms this challenge for international students, especially those who are not native speakers. That is why I cast a wide net.
Do you think that there are any differences in terms of reputation between these two schools? I feel that Vanderbilt carries a bit more weight thanks to its highly-ranked undergrad and Owen is a promising and up-and-coming program. It consistently improved from a place of 44th in 2008 to a top 25 school around the last 5 year.
On the other hand, Emory is consistently ranked among the top 20 and it clearly dominates Atlanta market.
If I had to make this decision 10 years ago, it would be much easier.
I 'd better reach out and talk to more students before making a decision.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey forrestgump123 ,

I think I would rather talk to the current students/alums of each school and figure out what works for me the best. Emory has been quite stable in its ranking and I think that might go in your favor. Talk to current students and take your call.

All the best :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [2]
Given Kudos: 65
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
Send PM
Kudos
Current Vanderbilt MBA student. I don't see any disadvantage coming to Vanderbilt over Emory. They are in the same tier and are regional schools with decent presence on east and west coast. If you have doubts about placements feel free to reach out. With Amazon and EY coming to Nashville, it is turning out to be a strong year for Vanderbilt.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72889 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Emory ($$$) vs Vanderbilt ($$$$) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I think quite a bit has been said about both programs - Thank You teleste, abhimahna, and Maupassant9 !

I can share a bit about the rankings - here is a 12 year view of the 2 programs from the US News Rankings perspective. No rankings is perfect and will capture the programs fully but at least something consistent.

Emory is Blue and Owen is Yellow (trying to stick to school colors type of thing)
Source: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mba-rankings ... ml#p769630
Attachments

Owen vs. Goizuetta.png
Owen vs. Goizuetta.png [ 437.44 KiB | Viewed 7067 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you bb. I also referred to this graph when making a comparison. I have also read your theory about what is best MBA for internationals (top 20 and top 40). I believe that Emory is on the lower end of the top 20 and Vanderbilt is on the higher end of the top 30.
Owen is indeed a good school and has been trying a lot to improve its ranking for the last few years. However, there is still a gap to catch up with Goizueta, especially in term of consulting recruitment or admission rate- Emory at 27% and Vanderbilt at 41%. For this reason, I think the caliber at Goizueta is slightly better than at Owen.
These two schools have moved in tandem for the last 10 year and the gap has been narrower.
I still have a few days to think before deposit deadline at Emory. I appreciate all your ideas and advice.
Thanks
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [2]
Given Kudos: 140
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Kudos
forrestgump123 wrote:
I think the caliber at Goizueta is slightly better than at Owen.

When making a decision on who to hire, no firm is going to go look at the 12-year history of rankings to compare Vanderbilt to Emory and then base their decision on it and give a Goizueta student an offer in place of an Owen student. At this point, from either program, your future career and job prospects will be all about what you have to offer. Both of these schools place their students at many of the same firms in the same Southern markets. IMO, basing your final decision on prestige (especially when the difference really is as negligible as it is) would be a mistake.

Again, if you're sure you want to be in consulting in Atlanta, I think Emory offers some advantage based on geography and the stats in their most recent employment report--but IDK if it is an advantage worth $15,000.00.

If (as you've mentioned) you're willing to explore career options, the only thing that matters at this point is where you'd rather live and how you feel about fit at each program. Atlanta and Nashville are different beasts. If I were in your shoes, I'd think harder about where you want to be the next two years. Some folks really love the big metropolitan Atlanta, other people really prefer the cozier Nashville.

Good luck with the decision!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [1]
Given Kudos: 65
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
Send PM
Kudos
Well, I can't argue with statistics and rankings. But, I don't think I am at any disadvantage coming to Owen. I said no to a solid top 20 school (ranked higher than Emory).

I am an Indian male and by no means at any advantage when it comes to internship search. I was able to interview with all top healthcare companies which also interviewed candidates from Wharton and its ilk. Another International secured an internship at Jefferies in IB.

Did rankings stop us? no. Was it easier for candidates at Emory? I doubt.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Maupassant9 wrote:
Well, I can't argue with statistics and rankings. But, I don't think I am at any disadvantage coming to Owen. I said no to a solid top 20 school (ranked higher than Emory).

I am an Indian male and by no means at any advantage when it comes to internship search. I was able to interview with all top healthcare companies which also interviewed candidates from Wharton and its ilk. Another International secured an internship at Jefferies in IB.

Did rankings stop us? no. Was it easier for candidates at Emory? I doubt.

Hi Maupassant9,
Thank you for your advice. If I pursued a career in health care, Owen would be an easy choice.
I believe that ranking should not be a deciding factor here since the difference is small. The bigger concern, I agree with teleste, is where I'd rather live. I wish I could visit two schools before making a decision.
When it comes to recruitment for international, I think it is equally difficult from both schools. What matters are the candidate's working experience and how much effort you put into preparation rather than "prestige".
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts