Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:43 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 273 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 273 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Re: Need of some advice [#permalink]
Andrea4 wrote:
Prateekj05 wrote:
For GMAT advice, you are already on the best platform. You will find a lot of forums on strategies and questions on GMAT club.If you still want to go for a course, you can go for egmat for verbal. It's targeted for those who are not native English speakers.
For quant, use Manhattan guides. Subscribe to gmatclub tests as well. Just start exploring gmatclub and you will stumble upon amazing resources.

Since you are already from EU and must be fluent in Italian, you will be able to maximize on the opportunities. Bocconi is one of the best schools for mim if you want to work in Italy.
Apart from that, even if you opt for any other country, you'll be able to work anywhere in Europe.
Your profile is really good. I'll leave it to the experts to answer that question. You have good international exposure and good extra curriculars. I think if you are able to reflect this in your essays, you will have a shot at all your dream schools. Good luck! :)

Posted from my mobile device

I don't like Bocconi too much but I know that it is a great University, thank you! :)

No worries man, you can apply to HEC, ESCP, ESSEC, LBS and the likes. Just express your story well and you'll be good to go. Good Luck!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Re: Need of some advice [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hey Andrea4,

I must say that you have a pretty impressive profile :)
You have a lot of things working out for you - International diversity, good GPA, top college rank, strong extra-curriculars look good.
Now you have asked a couple of very specific questions about profile building and GMAT resources. Here's my take on them:
A. Profile Building: While you have a good profile, know that you will be competing with 5000+ applicants for the top 10 schools, with a major chunk of them having stellar profiles as well.
So along with a good profile, you need a solid differentiator. This can be in the form of some very storing quantifiable achievements, or a very unique skill set - Something that you do better than the others. Maybe you'll need to build it, or maybe you already have it in your profile ( In this case you will need to brainstorm and think how you can showcase it in the application This is a good resource that you help you in the brainstorming part - https://www.mim-essay.com/brainstorming-sheet-download). Apart from internships and GMAT, I would suggest taking up a community development project as well. Schools highly value social volunteering initiatives.
- GMAT Preparation Resources : Apart from the official GMAT guides, a mix of e-GMAT and Magoosh works well for most applicants. You can also check out examPAL , they use AI powered modules as a part of their teaching methodology - I think you will find it interesting.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Need of some advice [#permalink]
Hi all,

I am an Indian and interested in pursuing the MiM course from HEC Paris. It would be great if someone could help me out with the following questions-

● How much is MiM valued in India ? Considering that I am willing to work for 1-2 years after graduation in Europe, I will want to return back to India after that.

●Pros and Cons of MBA from IIMs in India vs MiM from Europe

Thanks in advance!

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey vaishnavi2209,

It seems like your're in the research stage of the application cycle. I will be happy to help you out with your queries and tell you about some ground rules that you consider to get into a top school.
- Firstly, about the Value of MiM in India :You have mentioned that you would like to relocate after working for a couple of years in Europe. This is a good strategy and if you stick to the plan, you will find decent job prospects in India.
By rule of thumb, always aim to study in a country where you want to work in the future. Your job prospects in India will depend upon your degree + 2 year work experience.

Pros and Cons of MBA from IIMs in India vs MiM from Europe :
First things first - An MBA from IIMs is not considered to be an MBA globally. Globally, MBAs need a work experience of 3-5 years, and IIMs being a pre-experience masters is bucketed under " Masters in Management" by International recruiters.

Very honestly, listing down the pros and cons of the two schools is a very linear and somewhat skewed approach to compare IIMs and HEC Paris.
This is because studying abraod and studying in India is like comparing apples to oranges,so you need to first decide on what kind of experience you are looking for. So rather than pros and cons, I will give you a comprehensive comparision of both the degrees, so that you can narrow down your decision in the most tangible way possible.

There are 3 key factors that you need to consider while finalizing your school:

Reputation of the school
School Resources
Willingness to learn a new language
Type of experience you are looking for
Your preferred work location

Now, let’s break up the decision making process the first 3 factors will somewhat give you clarity on where the schools stand in comparison to each other while the last two factors are the deciding elements that will help you make the decision.

Reputation of the school :

There is hardly any point debating about the reputation of IIMs and HEC Paris. Both schools are enjoy an excellent reputation in India and Europe Respectively.Ranking wise, HEC Paris ranks much above IIM A, but again you should never base your choices on rankings alone.

Resources of the school ( electives, specializations, corporate tie-ups,etc) :

As I mentioned the learning pedagogy of the schools will differ vastly. So check the curriculums of these programs thoroughly, and see which school offers you the best mix of electives, specializations and networking opportunities that align with your long term career goals.

Willingness to learn a new language:

If you are going to pick HEC, it is strongly recommended that you learn the local language, especially if you are planning to continue in the consultancy sector after your masters. A B1/B2 level of proficiency is needed for any client side profile like consulting, marketing and operations.
It is perfectly fine if you don’t know the language while starting the program, you can use the program duration to gain a proficiency ( as most international students do).

If you are going to go with IIM A/B, language is not a constraint.

Finally, Below are the 2 deciding factors that will help you finalize your school.
If you are able to answer these two questions, you will more or less know which school fits you better.

The Type of experience that you are looking for:

While all 3 schools are at par when its comes to reputation, the experience and the learning pedagogy is vastly different. Studying abroad is a whole new ball game altogether, gives you exposure to diverse cultures and pushes you out of your comfort zone.

So you need to think what kind of campus experience you are looking for.. Once you answer this question, you will be super-clear on which school you are more inclined to pick.

Your preferred work location:

When it comes to master’s programs, by rule of thumb, you must always study where you want to work in the Future.
If you want to work in India, the reputation of IIM A/B is pretty much unchallenged and either school is a great option.

However, if you want to work in Europe, HEC Paris is way to go,

Hope this helped, good luck!
P.S. If you are looking to analyze your chances at both of these schools, I would suggest you to take up this free profile evaluation here: https://mim-essay.com/profile-evaluation?gcf
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts