Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 512 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 512 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Low GPA with 740 GMAT. Which schools to apply for [#permalink]
Hi MBADecoder ... you didn't wrote anything ;)

MBADecoder wrote:
obozanoglu wrote:
Hello people,

I am graduated from a top Turkish university with BA, Economics. I am 23 years old and have a very little work experience, 1 month summer internship in an investment bank. I am planning to have an MBA in the US.

My cGPA is 2.60 and I have a GMAT score of 740 (Q:50 V:40).

I was thinking of schools such as Columbia, Stern, Kellogg, Haas or maybe Questrom. What do you think my chances are? Should I aim for higher or lower schools?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Low GPA with 740 GMAT. Which schools to apply for [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Hello,

First - is the 2.6 GPA your WES converted score? In other words - is this score the equivalent of a 2.6 GPA from a US university?

Unfortunately, I do not agree with the other comments. A 740 (or even 760) GMAT at an M7 school will not make up for a 2.6 GPA. That said - all is not lost - it IS possible to gain acceptance, but acceptance is about more than just numbers.

First - let's do a deep dive on those numbers. At a school such as CBS, the average GMAT is 730 and the middle 80% range is 690 - 760. At the same time the middle 80% GPA is 3.2 - 3.9. This means that only 10% of the class has a GPA below 3.2 (and one can assume only a very small percentage of that subset has a 2.6). Meanwhile, your GMAT - while good (congratulations) is not in the top 10%. Thus - they do not balance one another out.

Do M7 schools admit students with a 2.6 GPA? ABSOLUTELY. However, only a few candidates with this score are admitted and a high GMAT isn't enough. The spaces for students with a 2.6 GPA are reserved for candidates whose profiles are AMAZING in every other way. Academics (the combination of GPA and GMAT) is only one part of the equation. In order to be considered with this GPA you should spend the next few years trying to make a difference personally, professionally, and in the community.
-CAREER: As already indicated you need a few years work experience. However, it will be important to outperform your peer set in whichever career you choose. An early promotion, unusual leadership experience for your level, creating an initiative that directly increases company revenue are the types of work experiences that will make you stand out. Does your company depend on you to move the needle? That will make up for a 2.6.
-OTHER: Besides academics and professional experiences, schools want to know what makes you special. M7 schools receive more applicants than they can accept with fantastic academic and professional credentials. While it is important for every candidate to have interesting extracurriculars, in your case you will need to truly make a difference. It is not enough just to volunteer. The candidates who are accepted with a very low GPA have started companies, started volunteer organizations, made extreme differences in their communities.

Finally, let's talk academics.
-Not all 2.6 GPAs are created equal. Did you perform poorly in quantitative subjects or in a subject that doesn't "matter" (e.g. philosophy). Were your poor grades early in your university journey balanced by very high scores your last year? (I have worked with candidates who almost flunked out their first year but redeemed themselves with honors in their last year). These differences are important. Look for patterns.
2. Take classes. You have a low GPA. You can't change that. However you can take classes (e.g. Berkeley Extension) that show you can do the work.

In short - it is possible to be accepted with a 2.6 GPA but the odds are against you so you should work on creating an amazing story and profile for yourself over the next few years. I give you kudos for asking these questions early. You have the time to create a path for yourself that will make your GPA seem less important overall. Finally - expand your school choices. While I always advise candidates to apply to reach schools, if you definitely want to do an MBA you will need to consider lower tier schools as well.

I do not want to disappoint - but rather give you the tools to make the best of the next several years so that you can be considered at a school such as Columbia.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Low GPA with 740 GMAT. Which schools to apply for [#permalink]

Originally posted by Khan94 on 24 Nov 2019, 19:59.
Last edited by Khan94 on 09 Jul 2020, 03:36, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Low GPA with 740 GMAT. Which schools to apply for [#permalink]