Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:16 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
#GivingTuesday: Consortium Encourages Schools, Students and Alumni to [#permalink]
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: #GivingTuesday: Consortium Encourages Schools, Students and Alumni to Give Back on International Day of Giving
It’s almost Thanksgiving, and that means #GivingTuesday is just around the corner. Beyond giving thanks, however, The Consortium is encouraging people to also give back this year by committing their time, energy or resources to help others.

An international day of charitable giving, #GivingTuesday also inspires people to donate their time and to support causes that are close to them. For the fourth year in a row, The Consortium has committed to participating and is asking member schools to do the same.

“We ask Consortium students at partnering schools to plan a service project day, we ask alumni to advocate for The Consortium — to tell someone about the program or to perform a random act of kindness in their community — and we ask members and friends to donate to The Consortium on Tuesday, Dec. 3 to kick off our Year End Appeal,” says Karen Green, manager of individual giving for The Consortium. “The idea is to collectively, on one day, make your community a better place in whatever way you can — a day for good.”

Service Projects & Charitable Giving

Students can select any nonprofit organization they want to assist for their service project; however, The Consortium does provide a list of organizations in each school’s geographic area, mostly related to education, that they can choose from. The goal is for the projects to be completed in one day. “The entire campaign is about the good that can be done in 24 hours,” Green says, adding that the actual hours of each service project can vary.

In the past, students’ projects have run the gamut, from clothing drives, gardening or working at food banks to tutoring or cataloging books for libraries.

The Consortium will partner with Washington University in St. Louis (WashU) and Junior Achievement to work with children in the Woodland School in Jennings School District. Green notes that Junior Achievement’s focus on education and providing “practical business projects for students” aligns with The Consortium’s mission. “The students will be educators and actually go into the classrooms to make presentations, [performing] the role of educators,” she says.

In addition to WashU, other participating schools this year include Cornell University, Carnegie Mellon University, Indiana University-Bloomington, Rice University, the University of Rochester, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor and the University of California, Berkeley.

Since 2016, The Consortium’s involvement in #GivingTuesday has helped raise money for the organization and its largest financial campaign, the Year End Appeal, which concludes January 1. Through charitable donations — all contributed in just 24 hours each year — The Consortium has raised $30,000 over the last few years, which Green says has provided more than 12 fellows the experience of attending the annual Orientation Program & Career Forum (OP). This year’s fundraising goal for #GivingTuesday is $15,000.

Other Ways to Get Involved

Even if students, schools or alumni aren’t able to do a service project or donate to The Consortium, Green says there are still ways to get involved.

“They can be an advocate — tell your friends about The Consortium for Graduate Study in Management and encourage them to give,” she says. “They can show support on social media — post a picture on our Facebook page — … or they can perform a random act of kindness in their community.”

A Strengthening Effort

When The Consortium began its involvement in #GivingTuesday four years ago, the number of participating member schools was just two. This year, however, Green says they expect at least 10 to participate, indicating that the effort is gaining momentum.

“The movement is growing,” she says. “Can you imagine 100 percent participation? Now that would be impactful!”

For Green and others at The Consortium, #GivingTuesday provides an ideal opportunity to engage students and encourage them to give back.

We feel it is the perfect introduction to philanthropy for our students,” Green says. “Involvement … is beneficial to the individual, the organization, the community and society as a whole, and we encourage them to give of their time or treasures for the good of our community. This movement is helping to shape the future of philanthropy.”

#GivingTuesday has also demonstrated to the organization the true strength that lies in numbers and the impact that can be had when those numbers are used for good.

“The #GivingTuesday movement has helped The Consortium demonstrate and realize its collective power,” Green says. “This campaign is an example to our [students and] alumni [that they] can create change and impact the communities in which they live.”

The post #GivingTuesday: Consortium Encourages Schools, Students and Alumni to Give Back on International Day of Giving appeared first on The Consortium.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Shaping a Better Future for Businesses and Employees through Technolog [#permalink]
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Shaping a Better Future for Businesses and Employees through Technology and Culture Change
Dekonti “Dek” Sayeh is driven by a desire to shape a better future for employees and companies. As a consultant at Slalom Consulting, a fast-growing consulting firm focused on IT, data/analytics and tech enablement, Sayeh works to achieve this vision with an emphasis on culture change and technology.

Through his involvement in Slalom’s Gender Equality Masters employee resource group (ERG), he strives to positively affect the work environment of colleagues as well as clients.

https://cgsm.org/wp-content/uploads/201 ... 94x300.jpg
Dekonti “Dek” Sayeh

This Consortium alum began his journey as a psychology and economics major and went on to earn an MBA from Carnegie Mellon University’s Tepper School of Business in 2018. He recently shared his story with us, including the most important thing he gained from getting his MBA, how he’s helping improve business outcomes and his predictions for the future of business.

What made you decide to double major in psychology and economics?

I think it was my passion and my pragmatic side. One of my first classes in undergrad was a psych 101 class, and I loved the content. I had that first good experience and felt like I wanted to stick with it because it was a science that I could apply to my everyday life. Economics, on the other hand, was pretty straightforward. My mom — an economist — said, “You’re not going to get a job unless you major in something that’s more marketable.” So I gave econ 101 a try, had another good professor and decided to stick with it. When I looked at the two, I felt like that was the closest I could get to doing a business major in a sense, and we didn’t really have that at my school.

So how did you go from there to an MBA to a career in data analytics?

Well, to be fair, I don’t know that I would say my career is in data analytics, but I’m working with a consulting firm whose competitive advantage is in tech enablement, so [looking at how] we make technology work better for businesses. Some of that is data analytics, but there are obviously other things that come with that, and I’m more focused on business analysis, strategy and project/product management.

I’ve had a pretty interesting career path. After college, I worked as an accounting clerk for about six months and quickly realized that it wasn’t for me. I applied to teach English in France and ended up doing that for the following year. My time there was an amazing opportunity that opened my eyes to so many different cultures and experiences. When I came back, through a friend, I found a job at a biotechnology trade association, essentially an organization that collects membership fees from biotech companies and creates programming for the betterment of medical patients and the industry overall. I worked on the international affairs team, and that was really my first corporate job.

A year and a half into that job, I decided I wanted to give myself some options. I didn’t want to be beholden to anyone at the company in terms of getting a promotion or even restrict myself to whatever my next job happened to be. So it was at that first job that I really decided I wanted to go to business school because I felt like that would provide me the widest range of opportunities in a couple years. I had that on the backburner as I was transitioning out of the job at the biotech firm to a nonprofit called Internews.

Internews is an organization that tries to get citizens better access to fact-checked media and information, specifically in post-conflict areas where people are vulnerable to being taken advantage of. As a program coordinator, a lot of my work was business operations to support getting funding out to people who were on the ground, for example, in Nepal after they had the earthquake and in Liberia after the Ebola crisis.

When I started my job at Internews, I had already started the application process for business school so I guess, in a way, it was only a matter of time and a matter of where I decided to go.

How did you make your decision about where to apply and ultimately what school to attend?

I applied to schools all across the country. I applied to the University of Michigan, Emory, Carnegie Mellon University (CMU), NYU and then I also applied to a school in Paris, France (HEC Paris). My decision came down to Carnegie Mellon and HEC Paris; it was a difficult one because the two schools represented a completely different approach to b-school.

On one hand, CMU is one of the best MBA programs in the country, especially if you’re interested in tech firms or technology at all. On the other hand, going to school in France would have been another amazing, eye-opening opportunity to meet people from different cultures and learn about how business is done in other countries. So it was a tough decision, but ultimately, I went with CMU because I thought that it would give me the best chance at success post-MBA and the most career opportunities.

What was your experience like at CMU, and did it offer you all the things you thought it would?

In many ways, yes. … I went to school with really bright people, many of whom had very nontraditional paths to business school. It was an amazing, eye-opening experience to hear about all the things that people had done prior to Tepper. I think there are many interesting stories that came out of my class. That’s definitely one very positive aspect of the program. I think another very positive aspect is the close relationships the school and alumni have with tech companies.

If anyone ever says they’re thinking about an MBA and are interested in tech, I’m like “CMU should be at the top of your list.” You can look at the rankings and everything, but if you want to know where you’ll have the most connections — controlling for our small class sizes — and have great opportunities to meet companies face to face and professors who have experience working with Fortune 500 companies and who bring all of that experience back into the classroom, I think CMU’s one of the best schools you could ask for.

How did you find out about The Consortium, and what attracted you to it when you were applying to MBA programs?

I had two close friends at the time who were applying to schools and learned about The Consortium through them. They told me about the organization and the benefits of using one common application. The idea that Consortium member schools, by definition, are those that place a high [value] on diversity — that was one way to filter schools that would be a good fit for me without really having to do much work. I also liked the idea that you had the Orientation Program before school started, which was a great experience, a great way to meet people who you could stay in touch with throughout your MBA career and beyond.

Is the emphasis on diversity also a driver for you and an area in which you would like to make a difference?

Definitely. I guess I’ve been blessed to have been able to work with people of color who were very successful in business. So I think it’s really important to do everything you can to show people younger than you … that they can be successful, too, and that they can be drivers of change in the business world and outside of it. So, to that end, I’ve worked a lot with after-school programs to try to create that dialogue.

Another way of still striving toward that mission is working with Slalom’s ERGs. I’m involved with the Gender Equality Group. It’s still quite new, but we’ve done a lot of interesting work with our Women Leadership Network, and we’re thinking of ways we can partner with our Black Affinity Group called REACH.

So what is the purpose of the Gender Equality Masters (GEM) ERG, and how do you work toward that?

We try to give our employees a forum where they can openly talk about positive or negative experiences they’ve had on the job, at the client site or even outside of work. GEM provides a safe space where we can talk about those things and equip people to educate others. When people come to our events, they learn things they can apply to their lives as soon as they leave.

Our focus is really to provide educational resources on ways that Slalom colleagues — and even Slalom clients — can create more gender equal work environments, and we’ve done that by leveraging a publication called Lean In, which was started by Cheryl Sandburg, the COO of Facebook. [In it,] she calls out specific situations that might happen at an office or in a workplace in which someone is being discriminated against in some way, shape or form; unfortunately, [this is] mostly women. Sometimes it’s more conspicuous and sometimes it’s less so.

We have read and discussed a bunch of those scenarios and allowed people to share if they have encountered similar situations. People also shared ideas about how they might navigate those situations if they encountered them or how they might be able to coach a client through some type of situation if that happened on a client project.

Why did you want to get involved in this way?

I think I wanted to get involved selfishly because I thought it was a good leadership opportunity but also because I felt like it was a really impactful group to be a part of. You’re actually shaping the behaviors of your colleagues and potentially even positively impacting behaviors at client sites, even after you leave. So I like the idea that together we can create a better future for Slalom — but also for our clients.

In your current role, how do you use data analysis to help companies improve and make better decisions?

I’d say we use data to kind of shape a better future for our clients in a couple of ways. From my perspective, I’m really focused on “how does a business invest in technology that will lead to better outcomes for the business in the future?”

One way I’ve used data to help support those types of decisions is by creating business cases for different strategic approaches to business problems. One example is one of my clients wants to leverage natural language processing to “crawl” scientific journals and the web to find situations where there are product complaints. Whatever they can do to make this analysis more efficient is a huge value driver for the company, so I work with my client to try to figure out if it’s more effective to build these technology solutions themselves or if it’s better to work with a vendor who has some experience doing this already. So there’s a lot of business analysis and crunching of numbers to determine what’s the best approach from a financial perspective and an intellectual property perspective.

What is the No. 1 thing you feel you gained from getting an MBA?

I would say the overarching lesson I learned in getting my MBA is that no matter what you decide to do, you as a person and your career are constantly evolving and changing. You can’t just take the perspective that you’re going to get on a train and ride down the tracks and everything’s going to be straightforward and happen on one path. A lot of your career success depends on your resourcefulness, your curiosity and your drive to constantly evolve as a person.

But it’s also [about] the network you build when you go to school — it’s really special and something you can’t find everywhere — and the confidence that comes with knowing that you got into a good school and were able to succeed.

How do you stay up to date on changes or trends happening in the industry?

Obviously, reading your newspaper of choice is one way to do this. I’ve got a couple podcasts I’ve been listening to, like Planet Money and How I Built This. [The latter] features tech leaders or a tech company that’s on the rise and how it came to be. It’s a really personal look into the people who are leading the companies that [run] our everyday lives basically.

Then, honestly, just getting out there and networking, putting yourself out there. Sometimes you have to put yourself in positions that aren’t necessarily comfortable or that you’re not used to, but I’ve found that the majority of the time, it pays off and you’re surprised by what comes out of it — whether it’s new connections, ideas, things happening in your city professionally or even culturally that you weren’t aware of, or an opportunity.

What changes or trends do you predict for the future of business?

I don’t know whether this is a prediction or just an observation, but I think it’s a great time to be an entrepreneur. … Someone who’s a freelancer can launch their own business and effectively run their own company because there are so many cloud-enabled tools available “as a service” — whether it’s a data and analytics tool, something like Tableau, or you’re using Salesforce to manage customer interactions or Google Analytics to track web traffic. I feel like there’s so much data in the cloud to leverage, not only an individual’s data but data trends across the world, that I think this is probably one of the best times to not work for a company and to be your own boss.

The post Shaping a Better Future for Businesses and Employees through Technology and Culture Change appeared first on The Consortium.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
How to Craft the Best Possible MBA Application: Current Consortium Stu [#permalink]
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: How to Craft the Best Possible MBA Application: Current Consortium Students Weigh In
With The Consortium’s round two application deadline only a month away, we decided to survey current MBA students and Consortium members to gain some insight into the application process. We asked them to share one piece of advice on how to build the best possible application to improve your chances of gaining both admission to member schools and membership in The Consortium.

While varied, responses from students centered on a couple key themes: being yourself and telling your story. The following advice, which comes from six Consortium members, is meant to serve as a roadmap for prospective students — proof that these genuine approaches to crafting an MBA application can and do work.

As you work toward completing your own application, consider the following recommendations:

[b]How Can Candidates Build the Best Possible Application?[/b]

“Tell your unique story in a way that makes sense from beginning to end. You should be able to clearly draw the connections between experiences, succinctly describing how one experience led to the next and how you made the decisions that led you to where you are now in your professional life. Then you must be able to explain why business school is the logical next step to your short- and, eventually, long-term goals. You should also understand what strengths you will bring to an MBA program and then ensure that your application demonstrates those strengths.”

— Natalia Alvarez, Class of 2020, Dartmouth College Tuck School of Business

“Highlight who you really are, besides school and volunteer work. I have a lot of people emailing me about their essays and telling me how they wrote about all this volunteer work they do. That’s fantastic; I did the same, and then I realized that if we’re interested in The Consortium, it is already second nature to us to give back. While this is important and should be mentioned in the application process, if an essay prompt asks you about the ‘back of your résumé,’ then talk about something that’s very unique to you (e.g., are you a competitive frisbee player? Did you learn a new language because you love music from a foreign country?). Talk about the thing your family would say is unique to you.”

— Baron Munoz, Class of 2021, Cornell University SC Johnson Graduate School of Management

“Be yourself — I mean it. Showcase the impact of your work and connect the dots for the reader. Don’t assume they will know how your work has made a difference. The hardest part is done in the sense that you probably already have a lot of stories that embrace and exhibit The Consortium’s mission; now, just focus on showcasing them. Share a little about the motivations and personal life experiences that have contributed to your experiences and success and how you plan to continue giving back to the community post MBA.”

— Gloria Escobar, Class of 2021, Jones Graduate School of Business at Rice University

“My best advice is to craft a strong narrative, which includes … pinpointing your post-MBA plans; albeit, you can change your plans! Post acceptance, however, you must stick to something that works for you and your past. If you are coming from tech, maybe suggest product management or strategy in tech (hence propelling your career forward). If you are coming from a nontraditional background, maybe suggest banking or consulting to showcase linear career, financial and professional progression. Storytelling is most key!”

— Michael Vilardo, Class of 2021, UCLA Anderson School of Management

“Have a good plan and explanation as to why you want to pursue an MBA and how you hope to utilize it. Be able to elaborate on why this plan is important to you, and be enthusiastic when you have the opportunity to talk about it.”

— Jason Hernandez, Class of 2020, Carnegie Mellon University Tepper School of Business

“Each of you has accomplished incredible things throughout your career; [these] can appear to be ‘just part of the job’ to you, but employers want to know about them. During an interview with Apple, I had an honest interviewer provide great advice. He stated, ‘You have accomplished a lot more than you give yourself credit for on your résumé. There is no reason why you should have extra space below the content on your résumé.’ I believe this is true of each of us, so my advice to you is to use your résumé as an opportunity to highlight all you have accomplished. There is no reason to have additional white space … on a one-page résumé.

— Joe L. Williams, Class of 2021, Jones Graduate School of Business at Rice University

The post How to Craft the Best Possible MBA Application: Current Consortium Students Weigh In appeared first on The Consortium.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Envista Focuses on Belonging to Build a Diverse Talent Pipeline [#permalink]
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Envista Focuses on Belonging to Build a Diverse Talent Pipeline
As a new entity, having separated from Danaher Corporation in 2019, global dental products company Envista has both a long and short history. Part of an industry that has historically lacked both a diverse workforce and a focus on diversity and inclusion, Envista is seizing this opportunity to shift its focus.

“It hadn’t been an area of focus; it hadn’t been a priority. For so long, GP and orthodontists have been men, Caucasian men, but we’re seeing that landscape starting to shift,” says Meisha Sherman, chief diversity officer at Envista and vice president of HR at Ormco, a company under the Envista umbrella.

To Envista, prioritizing diversity and inclusion means building a diverse pipeline of talent, fostering a culture of inclusion and ensuring opportunities for the advancement of employees from underrepresented groups. One way the company is working toward this is by partnering with The Consortium, says Sherman.

“When you look at early-career, diverse talent, we know that The Consortium is definitely the place to go,” she says. “The way that talent is developed and the investment The Consortium makes in the talent and preparing them for incredible opportunities with great organizations like ours fits into our talent development strategy.”

For Consortium students and alums, Envista strives to provide not only quality career opportunities but also mentorship and resources — meaning people, money, time and knowledge, Sherman notes. Making sure they are giving back to the students via thought leadership and opportunities to understand the corporate world generally and Envista specifically is also important, says Sean Strachan, global university talent and programs manager.

A Culture of Belonging

More than just a diverse and inclusive workplace, Sherman, Strachan and their colleagues are working to build a culture of belonging, one where employees can be their “true, authentic selves,” Sherman says. “A diverse and inclusive culture also speaks to a place where we can be unapologetic about who we are.”

Adding to that, Strachan says that Envista wants to be a place where diverse perspectives and experiences are celebrated as well as utilized to achieve goals.

https://cgsm.org/wp-content/uploads/201 ... 00x225.jpg
Envista employees, including Sherman, ring the New York Stock Exchange bell

Through its employee resource groups (ERGs), Envista strives to create an inclusive culture and a safe space for employees to share experiences, discuss challenges and concerns and celebrate different cultures.

These groups — of which there are currently two, for women and multicultural employees — meet regularly, in alignment with Envista’s Diversity and Inclusion Council. They are currently working to plan a Martin Luther King Jr. Day event as well as events in recognition of Black History Month in February and Women’s History Month in March. In addition, in connection with some of the company’s national sales meetings, the women’s ERG is developing sessions focused specifically on women.

“Our women’s ERG is bringing our female customers, orthodontists, dentists and NGPs together to talk about their success in this space as a woman [and provide] panels for learning,” says Sherman.

These groups also serve another function by helping the company develop and advance its diverse talent.

“The purpose is to partner and align with the leadership teams to build a culture of respect, authenticity and belonging, to create a safe space for those groups that are underrepresented to grow and learn, to be a sounding board, to [help us] retain talent, acquire talent, promote talent — to drive business,” says Sherman.

The ERGS — of which Sherman says the company will eventually have more — are a resource to be tapped, especially when it comes to succession planning and ensuring diverse representation in those plans. These internal channels can serve as an invaluable resource, Strachan says.

“I think a lot of times, people forget about the networks in their own company with these resource groups,” he says, “and they forget to reach out to ask ‘Do you know of anyone who might have a great skill set or great background that matches or aligns with this position?’”

Through this approach, Envista is making an effort to focus not just on its external pipeline but also its internal one to help build diverse candidate slates for when openings arise. As a young company, however, Sherman admits they are still learning and growing in this area. But with a commitment from the top, a passion for this work and active engagement, she is confident in Envista’s ability to achieve the culture it’s so fully committed to building.

“We want to create the kind of culture, the kind of environment where we belong, where we can be authentic, where we value diversity,” says Sherman. “It’s a work in progress and we’re really building that foundation. Are we there yet? The short answer is ‘no.’ But we are certainly on our path, and I know that my voice is heard.”

The post Envista Focuses on Belonging to Build a Diverse Talent Pipeline appeared first on The Consortium.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Unique Mission Helps Yale School of Management Cultivate Diverse, Well [#permalink]
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Unique Mission Helps Yale School of Management Cultivate Diverse, Well-Rounded Leaders
At Yale School of Management (SOM), a focus on educating leaders for both business and society sets the institution apart. In its effort to produce well-rounded business leaders, The Consortium member school has built a community and culture centered around this mission.

“The mission really dictates everything at this school in terms of how the curriculum is run, the faculty who are teaching it, the students we attract and the careers that our students and alums end up going into,” says Kristen Beyers, director of Community & Inclusion at Yale SOM. “It’s this really nice blend of building strong leaders who want to not only do well in business but also care about doing good and leaving the planet a little bit better than they found it.”

An important aspect of the school’s approach to cultivating these leaders is its commitment to ensuring their diverse representation. As a Consortium member school for the full-time MBA program, Yale SOM actively supports the organization’s mission to enhance diversity and inclusion in global business education and leadership and, every year, welcomes a diverse cohort of Consortium students to its campus — many of whom, Beyers says, are drawn to the school’s unique mission.

In addition to the 25 to 30 Consortium members who join the program every year, she says Yale SOM also welcomes many international students as well as individuals who represent a variety of experiences, backgrounds and perspectives. “I think our mission attracts this diversity,” says Beyers. “It creates this really rich learning environment.” The resulting culture is what she describes as “intellectually curious” and “collaborative.”

Although Yale SOM’s community is tight knit, Beyers says the school acknowledges the value in providing intentional support for underrepresented students broadly and Consortium students specifically to ensure they feel at home.

“We want all of our students to feel that they’re welcome — not only welcome but that they actually feel they belong here — and we know when you’re part of an underrepresented group, it may not feel like that at times without intention,” she says. “For diverse students such as our Consortium cohort, many of them form a tight-knit group, which is wonderful. We recognize there can be a tendency to stay within their comfort zone and those safe spaces, but I think seeing the signals from the rest of the community … makes them feel included and that they’re not alone.”

https://cgsm.org/wp-content/uploads/201 ... 00x200.jpg
Members of the Yale SOM Consortium cohort pose with the school’s mascot, “Handsome Dan” bulldog.

One way in which Yale SOM tries to increase this sense of belonging is by providing resources to help the Consortium cohort both academically and socially. With a budget provided by Beyers’ office, the cohort of approximately 60 students — which includes both first and second years — is able to plan and run programming centered on four pillars: academic support to succeed in the classroom, career support for internships and post-MBA positions, admissions support and engagement with diverse prospective students and the promotion of Community & Inclusion within their cohort and in the broader campus community.

“We provide loose guidelines in terms of aligning with our Community & Inclusion goals and objectives,” says Beyers, “and the students drive initiatives based on our collective priorities.”

The Yale Consortium cohort hosts a range of programming, from mock interviews for prospective students to fun, informal potlucks for the entire group. “They’re really passionate and act as brand ambassadors for the school,” Beyers says.

Recognizing the important role these students play at Yale SOM, a few years ago, outgoing Dean Ted Snyder initiated a recurring lunch with the school’s three Consortium liaisons. Beyers says that has since become a structured Dean’s Advisory Group that meets on a regular basis and includes her team, one or two deputy deans, the dean of admissions and the dean of student life.

“We all gather monthly and the liaisons share what’s on their priority list,” she says. “They are able to talk about the culture and the community, and we’re able to ask them questions to understand how we can better engage. So it’s this really reciprocal relationship.”

Learning Across Difference

In addition to Consortium-specific resources, Yale SOM offers resources for underrepresented MBA students in general. Its six affinity clubs — which represent African American, Hispanic, female, veteran, LGBTQ+ and “older than average” students — provide both social and career support as well as foster members’ sense of belonging on campus. They often partner with Beyers’ office on their initiatives; one such initiative recently launched to connect Yale SOM alumni with select affinity clubs to provide further professional support and advice.

“Around 80 percent of students belong to an affinity club,” says Beyers, adding that not all of these individuals identify with those groups. “There’s a strong active allyship.”

Another asset for underrepresented students is the Community & Inclusion Committee of the student government, a diverse group elected by their peers. The focus of the committee is on helping ensure students are able to bring their full selves to campus, according to Beyers. “It is thinking about the full student experience and creating that sense of belonging [as well as providing] opportunities to learn across difference and get to know their classmates better,” she notes. The committee accomplishes this through a variety of programming throughout the year.

One event that Beyers says has been “wildly successful” is AMAs — which stands for “ask me anything.” Held five or six times a semester, AMAs feature a panel of students who have volunteered to field questions from their peers to share their unique identity and perspective. Questions are submitted anonymously by students via the Slido app, and those that receive the most votes are asked by the event’s moderator.

https://cgsm.org/wp-content/uploads/201 ... 00x246.png
The Consortium cohort attends a “Friendsgiving” event hosted by their Faculty Advisor Heidi Brooks.

“There is that nice protection to be able to work through the technology to ask questions you might not otherwise be comfortable asking in order to learn across difference,” Beyers says.

Past topics have included “being black in America,” “the Me Too movement,” “imposter syndrome” and “gun violence,” among others. AMAs have been so popular — with 50 to 75 students at each event — that the Community & Inclusion Committee launched a spin-off this year called AMA Coffee Chats.

“If I heard something from a panelist that I really was intrigued by or wanted to learn more about, I could go up and ask that person for a coffee chat,” explains Beyers. “They have free vouchers that the student government pays for that allow them to have a coffee to continue that courageous conversation.”

A similar concept, a weekly peer discussion called “&Society” — a play off the school’s mission — dives deep into a timely diversity- and inclusion-related topic that came up in the classroom during the previous week.

Part of an effort to appeal to diverse students, Yale SOM’s intentional support for Consortium students — and all underrepresented students in general — is not, however, just another component of a diverse recruitment strategy.

“Diverse representation leads to stronger performance, so of course there’s a business case here,” say Beyers. “However, I’m most proud [of the fact] that SOM is focused not only on increasing student diversity to build a diverse pipeline but also on teaching students inclusive management skills, aligning with our goal to develop leaders for business and society.”

The post Unique Mission Helps Yale School of Management Cultivate Diverse, Well-Rounded Leaders appeared first on The Consortium.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Google Event Offered Inside Look at Analyst Opportunities for Consorti [#permalink]
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Google Event Offered Inside Look at Analyst Opportunities for Consortium Alums
At a recent event, alumni of The Consortium were able to envision themselves performing a variety of analytical roles in Google’s unique and innovative work environment. How We Work: Inside Analyst Roles at Google — held at the tech company’s office in San Francisco on December 10 — introduced attendees to internal leaders at Google who discussed their roles within the company and the path they took to get there.

The event was exclusively for Consortium alumni and included some who now work at the premiere-level partner. Jonathan Beauford, student development program manager at Google and a 2012 alumnus of Yale School of Management, led the event with opening remarks, and Alyssa Apolonio, talent engagement program manager at YouTube/Google and a 2017 alumna of the University of Virginia Darden School of Business, led a discussion with some of the company’s senior leaders.

https://cgsm.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/IMG_20191210_185038-300x225.jpg
Consortium alumni network at a Google event.

A total of 23 Google employees — in departments ranging from People Operations and Global Partnerships to Marketing and Product Strategy — shared insight with the 20-plus Consortium alums in attendance. Panelists described their unconventional path to Google and how their varied backgrounds have aided their success within the corporation. Alumni also enjoyed food and drink and were able to mingle and connect one on one with these Google representatives to get their questions answered.

The event is part of a partnership between The Consortium and Google to identify potential experienced hires from its alumni pool through sponsored events. How We Work: Inside Analyst Roles at Google provided a unique opportunity for attendees seeking new professional opportunities to speak with internal members of the Google team and get an inside look at what it’s like to work at the tech corporation.

Feedback from the event was positive, with alumni indicating an interest in working for the company and Google expressing interest in recruiting attendees. The Consortium is working with Google to plan additional events and welcomes the opportunity to collaborate with other corporate partners.

The post Google Event Offered Inside Look at Analyst Opportunities for Consortium Alums appeared first on The Consortium.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Stop Stressing: Consortium MBAs Share Their Top Time-Management Tips [#permalink]
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Stop Stressing: Consortium MBAs Share Their Top Time-Management Tips
It’s that time of year when, after a long semester, MBA students are finally able to enjoy a respite. With finals behind them and a new semester on the horizon, they’re able to reflect on the semester now past and make adjustments for the one ahead.

With hopes of sharing what they’ve learned so that others may also benefit, we decided to survey current Consortium MBAs. We asked them to share some insight on the best ways they’ve learned to manage their time and, thus, their stress levels. Although varied in their responses, the following nine students emphasized the overall importance of being true to who you are and using that as a guide for how to prioritize your time.

What Tips Do You Have for Managing Time and Stress as an MBA Student?

Be very clear about what your priorities are so you know what you should say yes to and where to draw boundaries. Take time to reflect on where you are periodically. We are plagued by the self-imposed pressure that we have to get this right because XYZ is on the line; we forget that what we are doing today is what we dreamed of yesterday. Be proud of and thankful for how far you have come, and rest assured that you will make it through.

— Natalia Alvarez, Class of 2020, Dartmouth College Tuck School of Business

Block time in your calendar for everything. I block time for classes, club meetings and team projects, but I also block time to do homework and to go to the gym. If you don’t plan ahead and block these spaces out, you will be bombarded with last minute requests for your time, and you need to make sure you don’t overwhelm yourself — so make sure you book time for you.

— Baron Munoz, Class of 2021, Cornell University’s S.C. Johnson Graduate School of Management

Some days will be harder than others. The key is to be consistent and stay focused without burning out. Balancing recruiting, studying and social activities can take a toll, so you will have to be very intentional with your time. Don’t forget you also have to sleep! When I first started the program, I was averaging four hours of sleep a night and quickly realized that wasn’t sustainable. It’s all about time management. Allocating time to studying and being social will help keep you accountable as well as help you keep track of your time, so assign time to each on your calendar and honor it.

Also, get to know second years as much as possible. I don’t know where I’d be without them. They have helped guide me throughout the process and remind me that I don’t have to do it alone.

— Gloria Escobar, Class of 2021, Rice University’s Jones Graduate School of Business

Prior to coming into business school, identify what your top priorities are. What experiences are most important to you? Is it landing that dream consulting internship? Being top of your class? Serving as class president? There are so many amazing opportunities in business school, and you definitely want to be open to what may come your way; however, it will be easier to prioritize your time if you have an idea of how you want to spend it and know what is important to you.

Also, don’t compare yourself to others. You are going to be surrounded by incredibly inspiring people, but everyone comes into the MBA with a different story and with different goals. Don’t listen to the noise or [experience] self-doubt. Do what you came here to do. You’ve got this.

— Tory Paez, Class of 2020, Georgetown University’s McDonough School of Business

Find a workout buddy. I have a friend who keeps me accountable for taking care of my body. Usually, if I start my morning with a workout, I am able to sleep more deeply, eat better, stay healthy and focus more.

— Stefy Smith, Class of 2021, Cornell University’s S.C. Johnson Graduate School of Management

Utilize online tools and applications that help with time management; make sure to master Google calendar early, and Trello is a fantastic way of keeping track of your to-do’s. Make sure to step out every now and then and enjoy time with your classmates.

— Jason Hernandez, Class of 2020, Carnegie Mellon University’s Tepper School of Business

It’s really important to value sleep and [understand] the power of saying “no.” You do not have to attend every social or professional event. Do not be a victim of FOMO (fear of missing out). Stick to your morals, goals and true self. Grow and challenge yourself, but never compromise yourself.

— Michael Vilardo, Class of 2021, UCLA Anderson School of Management

You have more control of your time than you realize. It’s a choice to be intentional with your time and prioritize what matters most to you for a given day.

— Mojisola O. Jimoh, Class of 2021, University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business

Two things: Remember what makes you happy, and disconnect when needed from your peers. I love playing basketball but noticed I wasn’t playing my first few months of school. With the stress of classes, consulting, recruiting and the social components of an MBA, at times, I was pretty down and overwhelmed with the MBA lifestyle. I wish I went to go play basketball earlier, because as soon as I got back into that gym, it gave me an outlet on a weekly basis to get through the craziness of the [first] year.

Don’t be afraid to disconnect from everyone. With the advance of social media and the constant group-up mentality of the MBA program, it is easy for even the most active extroverts to feel overwhelmed and drained from seeing other people. I had to learn to flip over my phone, turn on “Do Not Disturb” and have “turn-down Fridays,” as I called them, by going to the library at night or just watching Netflix and getting some me time to recharge. Don’t feel guilty about doing this; it was integral to my eventual success with finding a job as well as feeling happier and more present in my MBA experience.

— Joey Abram, Class of 2020, University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business

The post Stop Stressing: Consortium MBAs Share Their Top Time-Management Tips appeared first on The Consortium.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Tepper School of Business Works to Enhance MBAs’ Leadership Skills thr [#permalink]
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Tepper School of Business Works to Enhance MBAs’ Leadership Skills through Exposure to the Arts
When it comes to being a leader, competencies like self-awareness, empathy and critical thinking are essential. Yet, these are skills that business schools have traditionally failed to cultivate.

A new initiative at Consortium member school Carnegie Mellon University’s (CMU) Tepper School of Business, however, is attempting to bridge this skills gap in an effort to transform MBA students into well-rounded business leaders. The Accelerate Leadership Center’s SHIFT program goes beyond analytical training to provide students pathways to leadership development through exposure to the arts.

“I think an MBA program really only taps into one part of a person, and I know that a lot of our classes and a lot of the programming is analytically driven,” says Matthew Stewart, operations manager of Tepper’s Accelerate Leadership Center and SHIFT program manager. “[SHIFT] kind of opens up the other half of your brain so that you can give your analytical side a break and let your more creative, artistic side come out.”

SHIFT’s goals are threefold: to enhance students’ empathy, critical thinking and self-awareness — which the programming strives to achieve via three components. The first, Emergence, is an art installation in the MBA Commons area of the Tepper building.

https://cgsm.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Tepper-Reads-Kick-Off-2019.jpg
MBA students attend the 2019 Tepper Reads kick-off party.

Stewart and his colleague and SHIFT program co-manager Michelle Stoner, with whom he co-founded the program, work with the Miller Institute for Contemporary Art at CMU to select artists whose work to feature. The installation’s purpose is to engage students to get them to think more deeply.

“Surrounding yourself with art forces you to think about it. [Students] don’t have to go to a museum; the art is right there,” says Stewart, noting that the program also hosts trips to local art museums. “Art also forces you to ask questions, and it’s through questions that you learn things about other people, so it’s been a great empathy builder in that way.”

With pamphlets created to accompany the artwork — which includes questions about the piece on display — he says that Emergence has promoted “low-stakes” debate among students as well. “A piece of art doesn’t care if you like it or not,” Stewart says, “so it’s been a good getting-to-know-you mechanism.”

The second component of SHIFT is an initiative called Tepper Reads, a community reading project. Participating MBAs read the same novel together and discuss the book and its themes throughout the semester.

Last year, approximately 150 people signed up to read Zinzi Clemmons’ book What We Lose, “a novel about a young woman who’s working through the death of her mother to cancer,” Stewart says. “Her mother was from South Africa, and her father was an African American man from Queens. So it was also about what it’s like to live between two cultures. Around 35 percent of Tepper MBAs are not from the U.S., and so this book … really spoke to them.”

Following the initial kick-off party, where students get a copy of the book, Tepper Reads consists of a combination of online touchpoints and various meet-ups and themed activities, where students have a chance to get to know each other on a different level.

“For one of our meet-ups [last year], we had an ‘African Diaspora Dinner’ hosted by Leanne Meyer, the executive director of the Accelerate Leadership Center, who also hails from South Africa. We had a local restaurant cater the event with South African food,” says Stewart. “Some of our African students got a chance to talk about their lives prior to coming to the U.S. and how this related to the novel.”

“It was a great [way] for students to get to know each other,” he adds, “to learn things about each other that they wouldn’t have had the chance to learn [otherwise] — which is really what empathy is all about.”

The program culminates with a visit from the author. Last year, this included a Q-and-A session and a panel discussion about leadership, literature and empathy with Zinzi Clemmons.

https://cgsm.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Improv-Workshop-1.jpg
MBAs in the SHIFT program participate in an improv activity.

“It was a truly unique experience,” Stewart notes. “Having denizens of the literary world and business world in the same place, talking and sharing ideas together, is something that almost never happens.”

This year, students are reading about emigration and the immigrant experience in Pakistani author Moshin Hamid’s fourth novel Exit West — a recommendation from one of last year’s Tepper Reads participants.

SHIFT’s third and final component is the Citrone Leadership Touchpoint Series, a series of what Stewart calls “outside-of-the-box workshops,” so named for the SHIFT program’s funders. The series is designed to help students learn more about empathy, critical thinking and self-awareness, and topics have included poetry and mindfulness as well as the use and importance of metaphors. But by far, Stewart says, the most popular of all the workshops has been the improv one facilitated by local group Steel City Improv.

“Reading a book together, doing improv together, working on design stuff together, it’s all a way for them to understand their fellow student in a way that they hadn’t before,” he says. “That’s what all good art does. It forces you to see the world through someone else’s eyes — and that builds empathy, that builds your own self-awareness, and it will help you think critically.”

The post Tepper School of Business Works to Enhance MBAs’ Leadership Skills through Exposure to the Arts appeared first on The Consortium.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Considering an MBA? Adam Miller Is Here to Help [#permalink]
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Considering an MBA? Adam Miller Is Here to Help
A second-year MBA candidate at the University of Virginia Darden School of Business, Adam Miller has found a way to use his own experience and that of others to help prospective MBA students.

Through his podcast The MBA Candidate, the Consortium fellow explores why so many people quit their jobs to go to business school. His guests are full-time MBA students at the nation’s top 25 MBA programs — Consortium programs and others — and include candidates across every major industry, from tech to finance to consulting.

“The goal of the show is to dispel of the myth that you have to have a 740 GMAT or a 3.8 GPA in order to get into a top-tier business school,” says Miller, who grew up in Milwaukee, Wis., and graduated from Carleton College in Northfield, Minn., with a degree in economics.

Miller recently sat down with us to discuss his journey from MBA applicant to successful podcast founder and shared some unique insights for other MBA hopefuls.

Tell me a little about where your interest in business and your desire to help others stems from. How have the two merged?

After graduating from college, I spent five years at an organization in Minnesota called Thrivent Financial, which is both a Fortune 500 and a nonprofit.

In my first job there, I worked in their innovation group, nudging our customers to give away their own money. When my department went through a reorganization, I had to find a new role. Fortunately, I landed in their internal strategy team — where everyone had an MBA except for me. A lot of those folks became my mentors and encouraged me to think about business school.

During that time, I realized I wanted to be closer to seeing the impact I could have. I accomplished this by moving over to HR in my third — and final — rotation, where I helped the company build out their diversity and inclusion practice. I personally helped start two employee resource groups, facilitated dozens of cultural competency sessions, managed the workforce engagement survey and reshaped their performance management philosophy. So, coming into Darden, I thought I wanted to work in HR because I really liked helping people. But I also began to realize that there were a lot of other ways to do that.

I was lucky enough this past summer to intern at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in Seattle, and then just last week, I signed an offer to join the American Red Cross full time starting in July.

What will you be doing at the Red Cross?

I’ll be in their leadership development program for three years. The program gives recent graduate students exposure to the amazing work the Red Cross does. I’m super excited that my first rotation will be in their blood donation division because I’ll get the opportunity to apply the knowledge I gained at Darden related to operations, ethics, marketing and finance.

Once you decided you wanted to get an MBA, how did you get connected with The Consortium?

As I was starting to figure out which schools I wanted to apply to, I came up with the idea of reaching out to alumni from undergrad who had gone to or were currently in business school. I also looked at different schools’ websites and reached out to various campus ambassadors. The first person I messaged happened to be a guy at the University of California, Berkeley Haas School of Business. He immediately messaged me back and said he could talk right then if I wanted to hop on the phone.

We talked for what must have been 90 minutes. He answered tons of questions that I didn’t even realize I had. Most importantly, he told me about The Consortium for Graduate Study in Management, including the Orientation Program & Career Forum, the scholarship opportunities and the fact that you can apply to several schools at once for a reduced fee. That was extremely helpful because when applications opened the following month, I was ready to hit the ground running.

Now it looks like the tables have turned, and you’re the one who is acting as a resource for others.

Yeah, I ended up talking to nearly 50 different people at the schools I applied to — more than necessary now that I think about it! At the end of my conversations, I would always say, “Hey, I’m really excited to help you in some way. How can I repay the favor?” Most people would respond with, “All you have to do is pay it forward to the next wave of people coming up behind you.”

That stuck with me and was the main reason I created the podcast. It’s been incredibly cool to see some of the same people who I helped last year walking around Darden now, and other folks updating their LinkedIn profiles to show which school they’re at.

What inspired you to start the podcast when you did?

Going through the circuit of business school diversity weekends allowed me to meet other individuals who were applying, and I realized that a lot of them did not have traditional backgrounds, but they did have fascinating journeys. Sure, they didn’t all have top scores on the GMAT or attend an Ivy League school, but they did have inspiring experiences worth sharing.

https://cgsm.org/wp-content/uploads/202 ... 85x300.jpg
Miller records an episode of The MBA Candidate.

That’s the reason I decided to try telling their stories. Oftentimes, people with [nontraditional] backgrounds doubt themselves.

After I left my job at Thrivent, I had a couple months off before school started, so I began playing around with the idea of doing a podcast. I had just learned a ton about how to get into business school — information that, once you get in, isn’t very useful to you anymore but that plenty of other folks are interested in. I thought to myself, “Well, I know a bunch of people through The Consortium and Management Leadership of Tomorrow; why don’t I reach out to them to share their advice?” 

Who is the target audience? What do you try to provide them through the podcast?

The target audience is anyone who’s applying to business school. If you want to learn more about what it’s like to be an MBA candidate, and you’re currently studying for the GMAT or writing your essays, this is the perfect show for you. The [hope] is that these stories will help you figure out if business school is the right next step in your career and, if so, which programs might be the best fit for you.

What do you talk about with your guests?

The way I structure the show is by starting off with questions like “what were you like as a kid?” and “tell me about your family.” Then, we move on to discussing their journey from childhood to where they are now and why business school is going to help them achieve their dreams.

Most of the interviews get very personal. Mental health comes up a lot, as well as discrimination and general feelings of inadequacy; there’s really no topic that hasn’t surfaced on the show. I think the conversations go so deep because when you put a mic in front of passionate people, they tend to share what’s truly on their minds and in their hearts.

https://cgsm.org/wp-content/uploads/202 ... 793183.jpg

What have you enjoyed most about doing the podcast?

The reason I’ve continued to do it over the past two years — way beyond the point of insane business at Darden — is because so many people have reached out to say, “Hey, I love the show. I’ve been a listener since the beginning, and I’m wondering when you’re putting out the next episode.” I probably get an average of at least one random LinkedIn message every week.

Have you learned anything about yourself in the process?

I think the biggest thing I’ve learned is just how much energy I get out of mentoring others — whether it’s in a formal leadership position or not. Knowing this now, I want mentoring to be a significant aspect of my future career.

What is one of the most popular episodes or your personal favorite?

Episode No. 5 is about a gentleman at the Tuck School of Business who is Native American. He was 35 years old going into Dartmouth, and both of his parents had recently passed away. He’s suffered from health issues and didn’t graduate from college until he was 28. He ended up managing all of the money for his tribe in Oklahoma, so his goal is to go into wealth management to do a better job of growing their assets in the long run. That’s the episode where a lot of listeners end up crying.

What’s the best advice you would offer people who are considering or are in the process of applying to business school?

The thing I did that made a huge difference was reaching out to current students and recent alumni from the programs I was interested in. Most of the schools look very similar if you only look at their websites or the rankings. However, when I heard anecdotes about these unique communities, that’s what helped me figure out where I wanted to go and why I was putting myself through all of this in the first place.

What are your plans for the podcast going forward?

I think I want to produce a second season. The plan would be to follow up with some of my previous guests to get an update about how their job search has gone, what their favorite classes have been and if they have any regrets now that they’re almost into the second half of their two-year experience.

Long term, I’d love to have someone who listens to the show reach out to me about taking it over. Once I graduate from Darden, I know I’ll soon be too far removed from the application process to give relevant advice anymore.

You can listen to The MBA Candidate podcast on iTunes.

The post Considering an MBA? Adam Miller Is Here to Help appeared first on The Consortium.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Going Pro: How One MBA Graduate Is Solving Europe’s Basketball Woes On [#permalink]
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Going Pro: How One MBA Graduate Is Solving Europe’s Basketball Woes One Statistic at a Time
Growing up in New Jersey, Brandon Smith’s childhood was shaped by a love of basketball. Under no illusion that he had what it takes to go pro — “I’m only 5-foot-9, so after high school, I stopped pursuing the basketball dream,” he says — Smith has nonetheless become a key player in the world of professional basketball.

As the founder and CEO of Global Sports Analytics (GSA), Smith is attempting to change the way global basketball is analyzed and enjoyed, not as a player on the court but from the sidelines. Using advanced statistics, he and his team of six created a platform that gives coaches the tools to help solve some of the most pressing challenges faced by European teams.

“Our initial product is the GSA Edge, a data-rich SAAS platform that is essentially an assistant coach in your back pocket,” says Smith, a 2014 Consortium alumnus of the University of Southern California (USC) Marshall School of Business. “It’s accessed via your own personalized login on the web, and it provides simplified advanced statistics, customized scouting and video analysis.”

The idea is to save coaches time with a tailored solution that provides a competitive advantage by the numbers, Smith notes.

“On a macro level, we want to redefine global basketball, starting with play on the court, and leverage our proprietary technology to influence the entire ecosystem — teams, fans, leagues and sponsors,” he says. “We think that the future of the game is going to be driven by quantitative analysis and statistics, and because Europe as a market is lagging behind the U.S., we saw the perfect opportunity to get in at the ground level — and win.”

“At this point,” Smith adds, “we’re starting to see not just proof of concept but also greater interest outside of our primary markets, which gives us a clear idea of where we want to go next.”

Building a Foundation

Smith’s path wasn’t always so clear-cut.

After graduating from Wesleyan University, where he studied economics and psychology, in 2008, Smith went the traditional route of employment, taking a job at JPMorgan. While his time at Wesleyan gave him a solid academic foundation, he realized he wanted a “stronger profile professionally,” Smith says. “I wanted more business acumen. I wanted to try to apply some of the learnings I was getting at the desk to future endeavors.”

For Smith, this meant getting an MBA.

His godfather, Leroy Nunery, a Consortium alum from nearly 30 years ago, introduced him to the organization, launching Smith on a professional exploration that began with selecting the “right” school.

“I went to the West Coast for about a week before submitting my applications because I wanted to make sure that whatever I checked as my top school was actually the top school,” says Smith. “I visited Berkeley, UCLA and USC, and the entrepreneurship program at USC truly resonated with me. Also, Los Angeles as an economy is one of the most impressive and dominant in the world, and I figured it would be a great place for me to learn and challenge myself.”

In USC Marshall, Smith saw an opportunity to develop and refine what was then just a kernel of an idea.

“I wrote my business school essay about the globalization of basketball, the expansion of the sport and opportunities that American players were finding overseas,” says Smith. “So, I spent most of my time at USC testing the model, networking with professionals and professors who provided perspective on the sports industry in general, while applying key learnings and insights to my concept.”

“I think I was always interested in the idea of working in basketball on a global level and then realized that I had at least enough skills, enough of a network and enough confidence to try and start my own venture,” he adds.

Excited and inspired by his experience in The Consortium, Smith says it helped fuel his own ambitions. “Everyone who I met in The Consortium was competitive and impressive,” he says. “And to have the Orientation Program & Career Forum (OP) before you even get to campus — it was such a powerful introduction to graduate school. It allowed me to build a foundation to be leveraged throughout my entire time at USC.”

Return on Investment

With the real-world insights he acquired at JPMorgan and the academic and hands-on learning he gained at USC Marshall, Smith went to Berlin after graduating to add to this knowledge base. The experience was “eye-opening,” he says.

“I was fortunate to meet with a few decision makers from the Bundesliga, which is the German professional league, and they all mentioned the challenges they were facing: limited budgets, an inconsistent roster and the threat of relegation — which is very different from the NBA,” explains Smith. “Teams that don’t do well every year are relegated to the lower divisions within that country. So, there are a lot of different nuances that I was exposed to during that first trip.”

This insight, coupled with the interest he saw from European markets, sparked in him the idea of developing a technology to help solve these problems.

“I realized that the market in Europe as a whole was lagging behind as far as the adoption of analytics and the use of advanced technology,” he notes. “But there was a passion, there was an interest from the fans, and there were specific leagues that represented mature enough markets that we thought would make a lot of sense for entry. So, we started focusing our efforts in Germany, France and Belgium.”

Over time, Smith and his team have built and refined the GSA Edge, informed by insights from customers — coaches, general managers and key “early adopters.”

The subscription-based technology is designed to aid coaches with scouting and strategy. “It’s essentially an assistant coach in your back pocket,” says Smith. “Our objective is to provide coaches and sport directors, or general managers, with a product that gives them a competitive edge and allows them to win more games.”

Winning more games, he notes, comes with added benefits.

“We believe philosophically that better basketball on the court leads to more wins, greater fan engagement, increased ticket sales and more valuable sponsors and serves as the foundation for growth,” says Smith, adding that, for European leagues, the value of a win can’t be understated. “In Europe, there are outside sponsors that provide financial support for clubs every year, so the better you do, the greater your budget and the more bandwidth you have to invest in high-quality players, experienced coaches and solutions — like ours — to help fill the stands a bit more.”

For the teams that have adopted the technology, Smith says, the Edge — combined with GSA’s hands-on customer service — has led to “blockbuster seasons.” Some teams have quickly gone from being new in the league to playing internationally, he notes.

Smith’s hope is that the reputation GSA’s built will have a trickle down effect. “If we can build a product that’s adopted in Germany, France and Belgium, then that’s an opportunity for us to step into adjacent markets — whether that be Israel, Turkey, Russia, what have you,” he says.

As GSA continues to improve the Edge and develop its new solution, NumbersForTheWin, Smith is focused on finding ways to become more efficient, reduce risk and innovate as he seeks to add value for the company and its supporters.

“It’s been quite a journey for me, and it’s one that has allowed me to not only experience the joys and the challenges of building a company from scratch but that’s also allowed me to understand what it means to do business globally,” Smith says. “The cultural nuances, the elements of negotiation, the importance of being able to ‘read a room’ and what it means to be a young brother working in Europe with advanced technologies and this evolving science (basketball analytics) is a story that I’m excited to continue to tell.”

His experience of often being the only person of color in the room has helped him not only become more comfortable in those situations but also “find ways to excel in those spaces,” he notes. Smith credits his success to his combination of real-world experience and academic learnings as well as his experience in and the network he gained being part of The Consortium.

But perhaps most of all, he attributes how far he’s come to something even more important: faith.

“You have to have faith in your journey, whether that means taking on a new industry and challenging yourself with a new role professionally or stepping into the startup world, trying to build something from scratch. Faith is what’s going to drive you through the ebbs and flows,” says Smith. “The truth is that perseverance and sacrifice are all about faith and believing in what you’re trying to accomplish. I think, if you have that, you can do a lot.”

The post Going Pro: How One MBA Graduate Is Solving Europe’s Basketball Woes One Statistic at a Time appeared first on The Consortium.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
McCombs Makes Case that All Business Is International with Immersive G [#permalink]
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: McCombs Makes Case that All Business Is International with Immersive Global Programs for MBAs
Studying abroad has been proven to help improve academic success, language learning and intercultural understanding. It also enhances employability and career skills and helps build an international network — things that, when it comes to graduate students, can provide a unique advantage.

Data from the Institute of International Education show that while 11 percent of all undergraduate students — and 16 percent of those earning a bachelor’s degree — study abroad, only 3 percent of graduate students do.

This, however, is where Consortium member school The University of Texas at Austin’s McCombs School of Business shines.

Recognizing the clear benefits of global education, McCombs provides a range of international opportunities for students, from short-term and semester-long stays to immersive industry experiences. Senior Program Coordinator of MBA Exchange Programs Debbie Carney believes this is one thing that sets McCombs apart from other full-time MBA programs.

“For a program of our size, the number and variety of global programs we offer our students is unique,” Carney says. “At the start of their MBA experience, many students think that studying abroad may not be an option for them within the relatively short timeframe of a full-time MBA program. However, we are able to provide opportunities that range from as short as one-week to as immersive as a full year abroad, which allows our students to find a program that works best for them.”

Carney’s work involves coordinating semester-long exchange programs with McCombs 25-plus partner schools around the world, in places like London, Hong Kong and Cape Town, as well as short-term programs (of one to two weeks) that provide students a deep-dive into a specific industry, location or business-related topic.

Consortium student Korey Wallace participated in a recent trip to Chile and Patagonia focused on developing your “personal style of leadership and active followership under different types of environmental conditions,” he says. The experience instilled in him the importance of clear communication as the leader of a team, ensuring that every member is in alignment with the overall objective and is aware of his or her role.

https://cgsm.org/wp-content/uploads/202 ... 00x272.jpg
McCombs Consortium MBA student Korey Wallace in the Andes Mountains in Chile

But it was in planning and preparing for the trip that Wallace gained the most insight. “We spent a lot of time ensuring we had the right gear, developed our communication styles, planned our fuel and our debriefing activities,” he says. “When the trip was over, and we looked back at how much effort we had put in to accomplishing a goal which once seemed insurmountable, there was a tremendous … feeling of accomplishment — that with the right mentality I can do anything [I put] my energy toward.”

Wallace is one of many members of the McCombs Consortium class of 2020 to take advantage of these opportunities. In fact, 72 percent of students in the school’s Consortium cohort (28 out of 39) have participated or will participate in a global program offered by McCombs by the time they graduate this spring.

In spring 2020, MBAs have the option of learning about the automotive industry or energy economics in Germany; sustainability in Copenhagen, Denmark; innovation management in Vienna, Austria; or tech and entrepreneurship in Tel Aviv, Israel.

“The sustainability program in Copenhagen has been popular with our students. It’s a five-day intensive that offers an opportunity to see the circular economy in action and how the public and private sectors can work together using a net positive approach to business,” says Carney. “The students get a sense [for] how business is done in a city that’s very different, [where it’s] really all about the environment.”

On both Germany trips, students travel to a range of cities, including Cologne, Berlin, Dusseldorf, Munich and others. MBAs in the automotive and mobility program visit auto associations and car manufacturers like BMW, while those in the energy economics program gain a comprehensive overview of the German energy sector and its role in the EU.

“It’s a really interesting, unique look behind the scenes of these industries,” says Carney.

Another Consortium student, Kavita Koppa participated in a sustainability program in Bali in January that helped not only deepen her knowledge of this global issue but also alter her perspective.

“Bali was a fascinating destination to see how business, particularly the CPG industry, affects how non-Western countries develop and the environmental consequences thereof,” she says. “Not only did we see firsthand the effects of waste on tourism and tropical commodities, but my fellow ‘McCombies’ and I dug deep into the role of business in creating waste in countries that don’t have the resources to manage it to scale.”

https://cgsm.org/wp-content/uploads/202 ... 24x768.jpg
McCombs MBA students, including Consortium alums David Reyes and Angela Yen, during a global experience in Copenhagen, Denmark

This exposure to different cultures, economies and perspectives is beneficial for these MBAs on both a personal and professional level.

“I think that can be a really powerful lesson and something that they can apply both with recruiting and interacting with different businesses and executives, as well as in beginning to understand different business cultures,” says Thomas “Tommy” Ward, director of MBA Global Connections, another international education program at McCombs.

Similar to Carney’s programs, Global Connections provides opportunities for students to immerse themselves in an industry on short trips abroad led by a McCombs professor. These take place the week before and the week of spring break.

“We try to combine a faculty member’s area of expertise with what’s happening in that region,” says Ward. “So, for example, we have a supply chain course in Southeast Asia that’s taught by a professor who’s looking into sustainability in supply chain, specifically in Southeast Asia.”

Some themes and locations remain constant year after year — like Southeast Asia and China — while others vary. During the experience, MBAs often travel to multiple cities and countries. In 2020, students have the option of doing a deep dive into energy in China, non-market strategy in Chile and Argentina, public health innovation and sustainability in Rwanda and Kenya and CSR in supply chain management in Vietnam and Thailand.

“[In China,] the students visit state-run oil companies. They also visit solar panel manufacturers and wind turbine manufacturers. So they get a very broad mix,” says Ward. “There’s a portion of [the Rwanda/Kenya] program where students spend a night in a rural Rwandan community in a homestay, [where] the hosts are public health workers.” The latter, he notes has been quite popular among Consortium students.

A significant component of Global Connections is the pre-travel class. These two- to three-hour classes begin at the start of the spring semester and meet weekly up until the point of travel. They are broken up into two sections.

“One of the sections [focuses on] what’s relevant in the specialty industry within the location they’re going to, so really getting in depth into any issues surrounding supply chain or energy, for example,” Ward explains. “Then, there’s another section of the program that’s dedicated to cultural analysis, so understanding how culture can be characterized and analyzed both within their own backgrounds and applied to international settings.”

While there is no language requirement to participate in Global Connections or any of McCombs’ exchange programs, Ward notes that the cultural analysis component helps give students a baseline knowledge and prepares them for interactions in the various locations.

https://cgsm.org/wp-content/uploads/202 ... 25x300.jpg
McCombs MBA students, including Koppa, in Bali

Participation in all of McCombs’ Global Connections and short-term study abroad programs is highly competitive as students must “bid” for a spot. MBAs have a certain number of points they can put toward registration for elective courses, which includes these programs, and only a select number of students are chosen. According to Ward, anywhere from 120 to 150 students bid for Global Connections programs, and approximately 33 are placed in each one.

“All MBA students can essentially enter the lottery process to get into any of these,” he says. “The most popular ones generally require the largest number of points.”

One of the benefits of these programs is that students don’t know who will be going on these trips when they bid, Carney notes. Not only will they have the opportunity to meet and get to know new students from their own class but also, occasionally, those from other participating institutions — including other Consortium member schools.

“We send five students to Vienna for two weeks and so do several other business schools,” says Carney. “These are the kinds of programs that allow students to interact with their classmates and students from other schools in the U.S. and elsewhere. I think that’s a huge benefit.”

Ward believes that the Global Connections class in particular offers MBAs a unique opportunity to get acquainted with one another. “Students really get to know each other in the class in a way that they don’t necessarily get to in other classes — both [during] the pre-travel experience and while they’re abroad,” he says. “They have this shared experience; they’re all learning and experiencing a different culture together.”

For Koppa, traveling to another country with her Consortium peers only added to the experience.

“I was lucky to experience Bali with several members of my ‘C-fam’ class, which added a whole new layer of understanding to what it means to be a person of color abroad,” she says. “We were able to lend a different perspective to our classmates on culture, management and historical context. [I was] so grateful to have them with me for this ride.”

McCombs’ global education programs are diverse and vast, but Carney acknowledges that they don’t cover every industry or specialty. In spite of this, she says, all MBAs walk away with knowledge and insights that make them better business leaders long term.

“I have students who participate, for example, in a program in Germany on energy, and maybe energy isn’t their chosen industry focus, but they know they’re going to come back knowing a lot about this particular industry — and, at some point, that’s going to be relevant,” says Carney. “It makes them a better, more well-rounded and global-minded person.”

The post McCombs Makes Case that All Business Is International with Immersive Global Programs for MBAs appeared first on The Consortium.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
What I Wish I Knew: Consortium MBAs Share Learned Advice on Preparing [#permalink]
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: What I Wish I Knew: Consortium MBAs Share Learned Advice on Preparing for Business School
You’ve taken the GMAT, written your essays, gotten letters of recommendation and submitted your complete MBA applications. Now it’s time to sit back and take it easy while you anxiously await decisions.

But, if you thought this was supposed to be a time of rest and relaxation, think again. Take it from current MBAs, there is always more you could be doing to prepare — even if you don’t yet know whether you got in or what schools you got into.

We recently surveyed Consortium MBA students to find out what they wish they had known going into their MBA program and what may have made their transition to business school easier. Are there classes or trainings they would have taken? Books they would have read? Things they would have thought more deeply about, researched or planned? What could have better prepared them for the rigor of their MBA?

Reflecting on their transition, the following Consortium members share a variety of insights regarding what they might have done differently if they had the chance. For most, at the top of the list was taking the time to ponder what they truly want.

[b]What is one thing you wish you had known going into business school that would have made the transition easier?[/b]

“I wish I had known how rigorous and demanding the fall of my first year would be. As someone transitioning from the nonprofit sector with a liberal arts background, I would have benefited from taking accounting so that I had greater familiarity with course content prior to school. However, the most helpful thing I could have done to make my transition simpler was to have a very clear vision for recruiting. Business school is all about prioritization. Taking the time to reflect on what you will prioritize at school, recruiting or otherwise, will pay off greatly.”

[b]— Natalia Alvarez, Class of 2020, Dartmouth College Tuck School of Business[/b]

“School is a lot more self-guided than I thought. The resources will be there for you to take advantage of and succeed, but you have to come with some semblance of a plan, or else time will fly, and you won’t get to make the best of your MBA experience.”

[b]— Baron Munoz, Class of 2021, Cornell University’s SC Johnson College of Business[/b]

“I thought I had all summer to relax and have some free time before business school started. I was gravely mistaken. I spent the summer preparing for interviews, preparing my pitch and my STAR stories, which helped me immensely during the Orientation Program & Career Forum. I am grateful to have done that because I walked away from OP with two summer internship offers. As stressful as it was, it felt great to get a head start on recruiting. With that being said, I wish I would have spent more time brushing up on my quant skills so that the refresh wouldn’t happen as I was trying to learn the new content being taught in finance, accounting and statistics; spend some time reviewing but don’t stress out about it.”

[b]— Gloria Escobar, Class of 2021, Rice University’s Jones Graduate School of Business[/b]

“[I wish I had understood] how rigorous the first year — particularly the first semester — would be. It is demanding academically, professionally and socially. Go in with a positive attitude and prepared to work. I personally suggest taking minimal time off so that you are in great working shape and ready to handle it all.”

[b]— Michael Vilardo, Class of 2021, UCLA Anderson School of Management[/b]

“Do as much as you can to narrow down the field of focus you have regarding your career and companies — which can be done in a number of ways, including research and informational interviews. Doing this prior to starting business school will help you narrow down your search and make it much more focused. You will also stress less about figuring it out during school, which is difficult as there are an overwhelming amount of choices to make and limitations on time and energy. Don’t think about it from an applications perspective, but rather from a realistic perspective of what your true goal is with business school. That is what I wish I spent more time on prior to beginning my program.”

[b]— Wakefield Li, Class of 2021, University of Southern California’s Marshall School of Business[/b]

“The program moves incredibly fast and the biggest challenge is prioritization. It is important to make sure you know yourself and, ultimately, how to prioritize recruitment, school assignments, etc.”

[b]— Adam Tomasiello, Class of 2020, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill’s Kenan-Flagler Business School[/b]

“After you get in, you become overwhelmed with a sense of accomplishment. Your friends and family might even praise you as being the one who’s going places. Just don’t forget that when you arrive on campus, you’ll be met with many other geniuses who are either as smart as or smarter than you.”

[b]— Jason Hernandez, Class of 2020, Carnegie Mellon University’s Tepper School of Business[/b]

The post What I Wish I Knew: Consortium MBAs Share Learned Advice on Preparing for Business School appeared first on The Consortium.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Paying it Forward: How Cornell MBAs Came Together to Support Aspiring [#permalink]
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Paying it Forward: How Cornell MBAs Came Together to Support Aspiring Professionals
For Clementina Ojie and many of her Consortium peers, the road to business school was not without its obstacles but, fortunately, was lined with outstretched hands — people and organizations, like The Consortium, willing and eager to offer support.

“I think, for all of us, coming from underrepresented minority communities, we needed some help at some point,” says Ojie, an MBA student in the Consortium’s class of 2020 at Cornell University’s SC Johnson Graduate School of Management.

So when it came to selecting an organization to support for the 2019 Consortium #GivingTuesday project, The Learning Web was a no-brainer for the Johnson Consortium cohort as they felt compelled to pay forward the compassion others have shown them. The Ithaca-based nonprofit offers services and programs to area youth to help ensure their successful transition into adulthood — including finishing high school, pursuing higher education or gainful employment and contributing to the community.

“It’s really important to us because I think we can see ourselves in those [young people] — debating whether to go straight into the workforce or to school, not having the resources to be able to present ourselves well for employers or potential school interviewers, or even making the decision on how to proceed with our lives,” Ojie says. “I think The Learning Web [addresses all those] things. We really like the fact that [it] is focused on giving these young people practical skills, ways that they can start earning money or start interviewing and applying to colleges so that they can better themselves.”

Plus, with a relationship already established — Johnson’s Consortium class of 2019 had previously provided support for the organization, collecting more than $600 in 2018 — working with The Learning Web was a natural fit. “We were really happy to continue that partnership with them going into this year,” says Ojie.

She and the other Consortium liaisons decided one of the best ways they could help the organization and its participants was to hold a clothing drive to collect gently used professional attire that these young people could wear to interviews — something the previous class had done with great success. “We felt like it was sort of an easy win for us [as] our students have a lot of clothes they want to get rid of,” Ojie notes.

In marketing the event on campus, Consortium liaisons reached out to other diverse student organizations at Johnson in hopes of getting even more on board, and “Forté raised their hand to join us in the effort,” Ojie notes. “We wanted to get mass involvement — whether it was students giving clothes or spreading the word — so the Forté organization was one we reached out to because we could reach a lot of the ladies on campus; they have a large presence here. They were happy to join us in the effort and spread the news about the initiative.”

Through student-group meetings, online chatboxes and posters, Lindsay Barnes — another Johnson Consortium liaison — and other Consortium students worked to spread the word about the clothing drive in hopes of increasing its impact.

“It was really a multi-channel, if you will, marketing strategy … to reach all of the students we could — both first- and second-years,” Ojie says.

When #GivingTuesday rolled around, despite a snowstorm and the fact that students were just returning from Thanksgiving break, the turnout — both from a volunteer and donor perspective — was surprisingly high.

https://cgsm.org/wp-content/uploads/202 ... 00x225.jpg
Johnson MBAs collected over 50 pounds of gently used professional clothes for The Learning Web.

“We had quite a good amount of our Consortium family show up to man the table; they showed up in shifts and were really present in helping us collect the clothes, spending their afternoon at the table in the cafeteria, talking to their classmates and encouraging them to bring their clothes,” says Ojie, noting that they ultimately collected over 50 pounds of clothing. “That was really powerful because, coming off of Thanksgiving break, it’s easy to forget. People might want to just focus on getting back into the swing of school, but we had a lot of members who showed up and gave their time, and that was really great for us to see.”

However, it wasn’t just Consortium students who showed up in a big way. Ojie also credits their classmates with supporting the effort and the mission of The Learning Web.

“Fifty pounds of clothing didn’t just come from The Consortium; it was really our classmates helping to collect and give to the initiative, and we really appreciated that,” she says. “Even though they’re not part of The Consortium, even though some may not fully understand the scope and impact of The Learning Web, they were there to support us in our initiative to give back, so that’s been really helpful and impactful for us.”

For Ojie and her Consortium peers, it’s important to them to engage in this type of community service to help carry on The Consortium’s mission, “to help those who are from underrepresented minority communities find their way in higher education and into business leadership positions,” says Ojie.

“We felt like The Learning Web was a way that we could do that within the Ithaca community,” she notes, “especially for children and young adults who are at a particular disadvantage socioeconomically.”

Although she and her classmates may not be able to give of their time to the extent they would like at this point in their lives, due to their MBA course load and responsibilities, Ojie anticipates deeper involvement in years to come.

“Hopefully, in future years, we’ll actually be able to be more hands on in working with some of these young people, instead of just donating,” she says. “And, perhaps our work with them will encourage them to consider business as their next role in life.”

The post Paying it Forward: How Cornell MBAs Came Together to Support Aspiring Professionals appeared first on The Consortium.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Navigating the MBA Journey: Consortium Alum Al Dea Helps MBAs by Shari [#permalink]
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Navigating the MBA Journey: Consortium Alum Al Dea Helps MBAs by Sharing Their Stories
The importance of education to achieving success was something Al Dea learned at a young age. It was an idea cultivated in him by his parents around the dinner table, where he learned about their own journeys to success and the role that education played.

Dea’s knowledge and appreciation for learning were also coupled with an understanding that not everyone has the same access to educational opportunity. “As a result, I have always been deeply motivated to not only take advantage of the resources and opportunities that I have been given but to also inspire others by sharing my resources and privilege and opening access to others as much as I can,” he says.

A Consortium alum and graduate of the University of North Carolina (UNC) at Chapel Hill’s Kenan-Flagler Business School, Dea is now senior manager of product marketing at Salesforce. But on the side, he finds fulfillment serving as a leadership and career coach, especially for youth from underrepresented groups.

Additionally, over the last five years, Dea’s passion for helping others has taken the form of an online resource for MBA candidates, called MBASchooled, a blog where he shares stories and advice from diverse MBAs on how to make the most of business school. Dea recently went one step further, leveraging this resource to write and self-publish a book.

“I’m a big believer in making sure I’m using my talents and skills to benefit and impact others; it was why I started the blog to begin with,” he says. “But I began asking myself, ‘How could I figure out a way to make an impact with this on a much bigger scale? How can I do something that makes a difference for others in a meaningful way?’”

“Time and time again, I had conversations with students and alums about how there was a lot they learned in business school, that if they only learned it sooner, they’d be able to get even more value out of their experience,” Dea adds. “Furthermore, I often heard that one of the ways they often learned or got access to knowledge was through hearing from older students or alums, but that there wasn’t an easily accessible or central place to [find] this information.”

MBA Insider: How to Make the Most of Your MBA Experience, which was released in January, features tons of interviews with current and past MBAs, including several Consortium alums, and offers practical advice for navigating business school. It is designed for both prospective MBA students who are interested in learning more about the b-school experience and current MBAs who are looking for best practices and tips to help them make the most of their time there.https://cgsm.org/wp-content/uploads/202 ... sider.jpeg

“The book is meant to be a how-to guide for prospective and current students to help them get the most value from their MBA experience and achieve their career goals,” Dea says.

The experience of researching and writing MBA Insider was an education in itself for Dea, who says he learned much about what actions, attributes and attitudes lead to the greatest success in business school.

“The students I talked to who were most satisfied and got the most value out of their experience spent time on self-reflection and building self-awareness,” he explains. “Business school gave them the space and time to actually ask themselves important questions like, ‘What do I want to do?’ ‘What impact do I want to have?’ ‘What does success mean to me?’ It also gave them time to get feedback from peers and colleagues and to synthesize that to drive improvement.”

Committing to and working toward your own vision of success, regardless of what others may think, was another defining characteristic of many of the MBAs featured in the book. However, one of the most significant themes of these interviews was around building skills for the future. The majority of MBAs, Dea discovered, went to business school to not just learn the skills that would enable them to immediately pivot or advance in their careers but those that would also aid them farther down their path.

“For most MBA graduates, the first job after business school will not be the last, which forced many of them to focus on skills and experiences they could take with them for the rest of their career,” he says. “They were also building critical skills, such as career development, empathy, cross-cultural collaboration and learning agility, which will allow them to evolve and pivot jobs and careers for years to come.”

More than anything, though, Dea says, MBAs come to business school to learn, but leave having made an impact. This was particularly the case with Consortium students.

“MBA students come in with a desire to build the skills and competencies they need for the next stage of their career. That said, many successful ones find ways to do this … by making an impact for their school and community,” Dea notes, citing as an example Christina Chavez. A 2019 Consortium alum of the University of California (UC), Berkeley Haas School of Business, she co-led the Gender Equity Initiative career pillar at Haas to empower her classmates with the tools and resources to negotiate equitable pay.

Dea’s own commitment to “opening access” to education aligns with The Consortium’s focus on increasing the representation of underrepresented minorities in graduate management education and leadership. He believes the organization’s members, like those mentioned in the book, represent this important work in action.

“In addition to serving as an extension of The Consortium, the fellows are out on the front lines each and every day serving as role models at companies and in their communities,” Dea says. “It was important to me to share their stories, lessons learned, challenges overcome and guidance in this book to amplify the work that they are already doing, because more people need to see and hear it.”

Dea shared with us some of the stories and learnings he collected from Consortium MBA alums for MBA Insider, which he hopes will inspire others to follow in their footsteps.

“As a former teacher, I watched as professors dealt with the challenge of covering a wide range of content in a compressed manner. As a student, this meant being thrown multiple new concepts or topics at once and figuring out how to make sense of them, and then apply them to an assignment, test or project. This was challenging at times, and during those moments, I reminded myself that I couldn’t learn everything in a short three months. Instead, I broke down concepts into smaller steps and reinforced what I learned by working through practice problems.”

— Najee Johnson, 2015 alum, UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School

“I think most people view business school as a time to reflect and think about the direction of their careers. It’s certainly a time for reflection, but I found that some of the most successful students have clear direction before classes start. A pre-MBA internship can help since it offers another data point to figure out if the path you are on is the right fit.”

— Nate Jones, 2019 alum, The University of Texas at Austin McCombs School of Business

“I have learned a lot through my extracurricular experiences at Haas about working on high-performing teams and motivating others to get behind causes they are passionate about. These experiences will help me be successful in the professional world. [And], working on these initiatives has helped me make an impact in the Haas community.”

— Christina Chavez, 2019 alum, UC Berkeley Haas School of Business

“Don’t get distracted by what ‘looks good’ on a résumé. Think about what type of leader you want to become. What communities and organizations share your passions?”  What experiences and/or skills do you need to achieve your five- or 10-year goals? Then narrow it down and dive in because you don’t want to spread yourself too thin.”

— Loretta Richardson, class of 2020, Georgetown University McDonough School of Business

“I learned the importance of staying true to yourself and very intentionally following your passions and interests, which helped quell the imposter syndrome that I felt when I first started business school. The situations where I thrived the most were when I pursued electives, extracurricular activities and career opportunities that clearly resonated with my values and just felt right.”

— Jasmine Ako, 2019 alum, Yale School of Management

The post Navigating the MBA Journey: Consortium Alum Al Dea Helps MBAs by Sharing Their Stories appeared first on The Consortium.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Adkins Family Carries on Daughter Leslie’s Legacy through Consortium S [#permalink]
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Adkins Family Carries on Daughter Leslie’s Legacy through Consortium Scholarship
For Leslie Adkins, perseverance meant unrelentingly pursuing her passions and talents, no matter how different they may have seemed. In college, she majored in French and French studies — but spoke Spanish and some Italian as well. She also loved to write, was drawn to theater and entertainment and had a developing interest in business and technology. This combination led her to earn a master’s degree in journalism as well as an MBA through The Consortium.

More than just curious, Leslie was often described by those who knew her best as having the “intellectual capacity to explore, engage and master new skills,” says her father, Kedrick Adkins. She fiercely pursued her interests, working hard at everything she pursued — even making it onto the dean’s list in business school. Leslie was always in search of the intersection of her skills, Mr. Adkins says, which she seemed to have found in business and movies.

On top of it all, she was devoted to giving back to those in need.

So, when Leslie passed away suddenly in 2015, it was important to her family to carry on her legacy and her unyielding enthusiasm for personal and professional growth as well as helping others.

“Her story is one of continual growth and evolution — not losing her strong interest in language and writing, but growing in other ways, too,” says Mr. Adkins. “In fact, when she passed away, her next arena of understanding was technology. She had just received a job offer from Amazon, so she was trying to put all of that together.”

https://cgsm.org/wp-content/uploads/202 ... 40x300.jpg
Mr. Kedrick Adkins

In creating the Leslie Elise Adkins Endowed Scholarship — a $1 million endowment — Lynette and Kedrick Adkins strive to carry on Leslie’s legacy by helping fund other promising MBA candidates’ education through The Consortium.

“Leslie felt as though The Consortium served a real purpose in getting students into graduate school. It was important to her to do what she could to help students as well. So, in a way, the scholarship is a continuation of her legacy of mentoring and helping others succeed,” says Mr. Adkins. “If Leslie was alive, I believe she would have been involved in doing something similar.”

As part of continuing her legacy, the scholarship is open to members of The Consortium — those who have not received the full-tuition fellowship. Preference is given but is not exclusive to African American women who share Leslie’s professional interests and passion for giving back.

“When Leslie started business school, one of the things that she noticed was that there were so few African American women in her graduate program. She said that out of the over 100 students, there may have been two or three who were African American women, so that [criterion] was important,” Mr. Adkins says.

Ni Kal Price, who was both a mentor and friend to Leslie during an internship at Paramount Studios, administers the scholarship and works with Mr. Adkins to review applications and select recipients. Some weight is placed on applicants’ choice of school, with preference given to those attending the University of Southern California (USC) Marshall School of Business or Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth College — Leslie’s alma maters. However, that is not the deciding factor, says Mr. Adkins.

“What’s more important is that the person demonstrates alignment with Leslie’s personal attributes and interests — her focus on community and serving others, her interest in journalism and her desire to be involved in movies or the theater,” he says. “All of those factor into the selection process.”

Since the scholarship was first awarded in 2018, The Consortium has distributed a total of $63,000 to seven students. In its first year, three students each received $10,000 toward funding their MBA education, and in 2019, $33,000 was awarded to four students in amounts ranging from $3,000 to $10,000.

Mr. Adkins’ hope is that Leslie’s scholarship goes a long way toward helping recipients achieve their goals and that, eventually, they’ll pay it back — by paying it forward.

For now, though, Mr. Adkins says he gets great satisfaction from simply knowing he and his wife are doing their part to carry on Leslie’s memory and ambitions as well as helping others through their support of The Consortium.

“It’s rewarding for us to feel as though we’re continuing her work and her interests. It’s also rewarding to know we are helping other students like Leslie through our support of The Consortium. The organization has such an impact on so many students and plays a vital role in creating the right foundation for their professional growth,” he says. “Leslie had a deep respect, admiration and love for [The Consortium], and we wanted to make sure that we were continuing her statement and her story.”

The post Adkins Family Carries on Daughter Leslie’s Legacy through Consortium Scholarship appeared first on The Consortium.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Note from Executive Director & CEO Peter J. Aranda, III, on COVID-19 D [#permalink]
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: Note from Executive Director & CEO Peter J. Aranda, III, on COVID-19 Disruptions
Dear Consortium Family,

We recognize that these are tumultuous and uncertain times for all of us. Our first and foremost concern is the health and well-being of our staff, constituents and those in our community — The Consortium Family. Please follow the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) guidelines to keep yourselves and those around you safe during this public health crisis.

For The Consortium’s official statement on COVID-19, click here. We will continue sharing insights and updates on COVID-19 as information becomes available via our website and e-blasts.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, The Consortium for Graduate Study in Management will be operating remotely through April 3. On March 31, we will reassess the situation to determine if this date should be extended and make adjustments as needed.

During these challenging times, we will continue to support our stakeholders to the best of our ability. To that end, our organization will continue to operate; our staff will remain steadfastly committed to our mission; and we will continue to work, monitor emails and voicemails, and be reachable during regular business hours: Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Please do not hesitate to contact us.

Beyond working remotely, several Consortium events and activities have been impacted:

• The April 2 Yield Event, hosted by M&T Bank in New York, has been cancelled and will be replaced with a virtual session.

• The April 20 Board Service alumni event, co-sponsored by Wells Fargo in New York, has been postponed.

• The 54th Annual Orientation Program & Career Forum, scheduled to take place June 6-10, 2020, at the Hyatt Regency Seattle in Seattle, Wash., has been cancelled and will be replaced with a virtual event.

• Information regarding postponed and virtual events will be communicated as details are finalized.

• Recruitment webinars will continue as scheduled.

As always, your commitment to our mission and continued support is greatly appreciated. As we must, we will work together to get through these difficult times.

Sincerely,

Peter J. Aranda, III

Executive Director & CEO

The Consortium for Graduate Study in Management

The post Note from Executive Director & CEO Peter J. Aranda, III, on COVID-19 Disruptions appeared first on The Consortium.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
More than Conductors, Union Pacific Seeks Curious MBAs with a Passion [#permalink]
FROM The Consortium Admissions Blog: More than Conductors, Union Pacific Seeks Curious MBAs with a Passion for Lifelong Learning
When Jeff Sebree began his career at Union Pacific nearly 21 years ago, he was excited just be able to use his finance background, not to mention his MBA education. It was a great opportunity — and one in which he would get to do some traveling. He quickly realized, though, that it was so much more than that.

In more than two decades, Sebree has served in several positions in the finance department, from there moving into an HR role, “and now I find myself leading the talent acquisition team,” he says. “I had the opportunity to go and do something completely different, and it challenged me and stretched my development.”

Giving employees room to learn, challenge themselves and grow is something that Sebree, who is general director of talent acquisition, believes Union Pacific does well. By providing opportunities to experience different areas of the business, the company fosters an environment of curiosity and constant learning.

https://cgsm.org/wp-content/uploads/202 ... Sebree.jpg
Jeff Sebree

As a Fortune 150 company with 35,000 employees across 23 western states, Union Pacific Railroad is much more than its name implies. One of the benefits of being such a large company, Sebree notes, is the opportunities that come with that.

“I think some people see ‘railroad’ and think ‘I don’t want to be operating trains’ — but it’s so much more than that,” he says. “That’s an extremely important aspect, but when you think about the type of work that we get involved with, it is always different, always challenging, and that, to me, is a huge piece of what’s exciting about being an employee of Union Pacific, because you’re never bored.”

With its hands in nearly every aspect of the U.S. economy, Union Pacific offers employees the opportunity to explore different industries and to think critically to help customers.

“We really do haul the lifeblood of the economy,” says Sebree. “So, when you come into a department like marketing and sales, you’re going to have the opportunity to not only learn about the railroad, which is an extremely unique industry in that there are only a handful of major railroads like us here in North America, but you also get to learn about your customers.”

Customers’ businesses run the gamut of industries, from construction to agriculture to even rocks. “That’s something I didn’t fully appreciate when I came into the company, is just how many different businesses we touch through our customers,” Sebree notes.

MBA graduates entering marketing and sales, for example, work with customers to find the best transportation solution for their business. “Obviously that’s going to include some portion of rail, maybe exclusively rail, but we also have marketing and sales folks who try to help customers find full logistic solutions,” says Sebree. “So if they have to have some trucking as part of the process to haul their goods, we help with that as well.”

Like those entering marketing and sales, individuals entering the finance department are given a lot of responsibility. “As a company, we spend roughly $3 billion a year on capital expenditures. That’s a lot of money, so we have to make sure that we’re spending it in the best way to get a return on that investment,” Sebree explains. “So one of the roles that you could go into is in financial planning and analysis. You might be in charge of supporting a particular department, say the engineering department or our capacity planning group where you’re helping build, with a team, the financial models and an understanding of the aspects of a particular project and making sure that it makes sense for the railroad to invest in.”

Having been an MBA student himself, Sebree believes these individuals bring deeper knowledge and a broader perspective to their roles. In addition to critical thinking skills, business acumen and — as is the case with most Consortium members — some work experience, MBAs bring with them an understanding of the breadth of what it takes to make a company successful.

“You have that perspective that it’s not just my department, it’s not just my team. It’s everybody working together to really push toward the company’s goals,” Sebree says. “It’s having that full perspective of how everything connects and knowing that you don’t work in a vacuum.”

This knowledge, he says, is largely due to students being exposed to a range of experiences through their MBA program. Such diverse experiences, like those provided at Union Pacific, help not only build a team-oriented company culture but also improve individual employees’ abilities. You begin to understand what others are going through, what their role is and “how their work fits into the bigger mosaic of who we are as a company,” says Sebree.

https://cgsm.org/wp-content/uploads/202 ... 25x300.jpg
Union Pacific’s 2020 Leadership Development Class

“You develop some understanding, some empathy, and that can help you in your own work,” he adds.

Professional development is also a significant focus at Union Pacific. With a large training group, the company offers a plethora of both instructor-led and online courses for employees — whether they’re looking to improve technical or soft skills (i.e., leadership, team building, how to have tough conversations). On top of that, two formal programs, Emerging Leaders and the Leadership Development Program, provide an opportunity for employees to both demonstrate and enhance their skills.

Through Emerging Leaders, which is designed for high-performing employees with no direct reports, individuals are nominated and gain the opportunity to develop further as leaders. “It gives you an opportunity to demonstrate your leadership skills and [further] develop those — and really helps you advance your career,” says Sebree.

The Leadership Development Program, which is designed for high-performing employees with an existing team, also involves a nomination process; those who are selected participate in a yearlong program in which they learn what it means to be a leader. “That has a lot of different facets,” says Sebree. “[At the end,] you’ll have a project that you get to pitch to the senior leadership of the company.”

Such experiences benefit both the employees and Union Pacific, Sebree notes, as people become more curious, which leads to more innovative ideas and builds stronger engagement among teams.

“This company wouldn’t be anywhere if it [weren’t for its] people,” he says. “You have to have good people who are pulling in the same direction, and in order to do that, you have to make sure that you’re developing your team.”

Part of developing that team is building it, and Union Pacific is focused on building the best, most diverse team. “We want to make sure that we have the best possible talent that we can here at Union Pacific so that we can compete,” says Sebree. “We recognize that having a diverse workforce is a key to making that success happen. As we’re out recruiting and telling our story, we want to make sure that we’re building the strongest and most talented workforce for the future.”

Because the nature of Union Pacific’s work is more business-to-business, however, the company has recognized the need for some assistance in reaching and telling its story to prospective employees.

Last year, Union Pacific began partnering with The Consortium to help share its story as well as support The Consortium’s mission. Sebree says he has been impressed with both the caliber of the students and the support from the organization, and he has high hopes going forward as Union Pacific works to attract what he says are “top-notch” students. “We have a great story that, once told, I think people are drawn to. We have a lot to offer in the roles that we have” he says.

For his part, Sebree has found fulfillment in the many roles he’s had the pleasure of serving in at Union Pacific — and in knowing that he’s helping build the diverse and talented workforce that will carry the company into the future. “Having the opportunity to make an impact and advance things further,” he says, “to know that I’m leaving my little piece of the world a little bit better, is pretty cool.”

The post More than Conductors, Union Pacific Seeks Curious MBAs with a Passion for Lifelong Learning appeared first on The Consortium.
GMAT Club Bot
More than Conductors, Union Pacific Seeks Curious MBAs with a Passion [#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9