Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:45 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GPA: 4
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Advice on improving my GMAT score [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi lostidentity,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day did not turn out better. Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so since you studied for just 2 months - and that study was inconsistent - then that helps to explain why you have not scored higher yet. In addition, while I'm sure that you worked through lots of practice questions, it's not clear HOW you worked through them. Most GMAT questions can be approached in more than one way, so if "your way" is inefficient (re: it takes longer and/or leaves you open to making little mistakes) then you might be inadvertently making your whole approach to the Exam more difficult. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

In addition, GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your various CAT score results - along with your Official Score - show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 570 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and your goals:

1) When is your next Official Test Date?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi. This seems to be definitely not an issue with materials but either an approach to studying or jumping in above your level and not taking enough steps back. I feel that one hour in the evenings after work maybe what messed you up though I’m glad you only did one hour instead of trying to cram three hours after dinner and a full day of work.

A lack of progress should be some think one needs to monitor on a daily or at least weekly basis. As you’re doing exercises, quizzes, official guide questions, you should be evaluating yourself and tracking if you’re doing worse or better and most importantly time in yourself on every question. The idea is to simulate the test environment and to make it equal so that anytime you take a quiz or a question you’re always under the same conditions. That way you can monitor your improvement and see what percentage of questions you’re getting right or wrong and what difficulty you getting right or wrong.

How did you feel about your mgmat book progression?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Advice on improving my GMAT score [#permalink]
bb wrote:
Hi. This seems to be definitely not an issue with materials but either an approach to studying or jumping in above your level and not taking enough steps back. I feel that one hour in the evenings after work maybe what messed you up though I’m glad you only did one hour instead of trying to cram three hours after dinner and a full day of work.

A lack of progress should be some think one needs to monitor on a daily or at least weekly basis. As you’re doing exercises, quizzes, official guide questions, you should be evaluating yourself and tracking if you’re doing worse or better and most importantly time in yourself on every question. The idea is to simulate the test environment and to make it equal so that anytime you take a quiz or a question you’re always under the same conditions. That way you can monitor your improvement and see what percentage of questions you’re getting right or wrong and what difficulty you getting right or wrong.

How did you feel about your mgmat book progression?

Posted from my mobile device

Many thanks for your reply. What you said does make sense. On some evenings after a long days work (9 hours + 2.5 hour commute) I was trying to cram stuff in and I did not step back to learn from mistakes. On most evenings when I did manage to study I spent around 1 to 2 hours. But on some evenings I did not have the time at all.

I did not time myself for each question but I tried to make sure that on average I was doing each question in under 2 minutes.

With mgmat book, I went through chapter by chapter, made sure I understood all the concepts and did the questions after each chapter. I did not time myself when I did these questions and I probably only got 70% correct overall. I completed the book in around 3 weeks and then started revising from Magoosh. I did not return back to mgmat after that. I felt that mgmat books did not cover some material that I came across in questions and also I felt that I was better at solving questions algebraically than the methods described in the book.

Originally posted by lostidentity on 17 Dec 2019, 02:44.
Last edited by lostidentity on 17 Dec 2019, 06:05, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi lostidentity,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day did not turn out better. Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so since you studied for just 2 months - and that study was inconsistent - then that helps to explain why you have not scored higher yet. In addition, while I'm sure that you worked through lots of practice questions, it's not clear HOW you worked through them. Most GMAT questions can be approached in more than one way, so if "your way" is inefficient (re: it takes longer and/or leaves you open to making little mistakes) then you might be inadvertently making your whole approach to the Exam more difficult. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

In addition, GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your various CAT score results - along with your Official Score - show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 570 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and your goals:

1) When is your next Official Test Date?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

Rich

Thanks for your reply Rich.

1) Next official test date is on 22nd Feb 2020
2) I am planning to apply in March 2020
3) LBS, Cambridge and Oxford

I purchased an ESR when I first booked my exam couple of months ago. However, on my mba account I do not see an "Enter Code" button as mentioned in the ESR FAQs. Not sure if this is because I cancelled my score.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi lostidentity,

You can order an ESR - even for a 'cancelled' Score - so there might be a technical issue at MBA.com. If you have already ordered the ESR, then I suggest that you contact Customer Service and see if they can assist.

Raising a 540 to the point that you can consistently score 660+ will likely require at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections (and if you are going to continue studying until you score 700+, then you will likely need at least another 3 months of study). Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. You could potentially hit 660 in the timeframe that you have described, but you're going to have to be really efficient with your studies going forward.

In addition, since you have named some highly-competitive Schools, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

1) What are the exact application deadlines that you are facing?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Advice on improving my GMAT score [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi lostidentity,

1) What are the exact application deadlines that you are facing?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

Hi Rich.

1) the main deadline is 5th March 2020 for Round 3 at LBS.
2) I could do 1 hour every evening after work. And 8 hours on Saturday with rest on Sunday. That's roughly 110 hours in two months.

Given that I have covered all the necessary material from mgmat and Magoosh, do you think I should go back and go through the same topics?

I managed to get my ESR. Please find it attached.

Thanks
Attachments

myesr.pdf [735.27 KiB]
Downloaded 42 times

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thanks for the recommendations. I was looking for the same
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi lostidentity,

I've sent you a PM with an analysis of your ESR and some additional notes.

Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22065 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi lostidentity,

I’m sorry to hear how things went with your GMAT. Two comments stand out to me from your post:

-- “I might have moved on from topics without fully grasping the fundamental concepts”

-- “I may have focused on quantity rather than quality”

If the two above points are in fact true, you probably did not fully develop your quant and verbal skills prior to taking the GMAT, and thus you were unable to hit your score goal. Moving forward, you need to ensure that you follow a linear and structured study plan that allows you to learn each GMAT quant and verbal topic individually, and then practice each topic until you’ve gained mastery. Certainly, if you’d like more specific advice on how to improve in quant and verbal, feel free to reach out. You also may find it helpful to read the following article:

The Phases of Preparing for the GMAT
GMAT Club Bot