Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:47 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72891 [3]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72891 [0]
Send PM
Re: MBA Financing vs. Cash with Recession Fears [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Well, you seem way ahead of me with your financial security and retirement planning :lol:

I was thinking of buying a few rentals but all of my family told me not to... I just did not want to give them a reason to say “told you so”. That was a risk too high :-)

You can always get a loan the second year...

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
Well, you seem way ahead of me with your financial security and retirement planning :lol:

I was thinking of buying a few rentals but all of my family told me not to... I just did not want to give them a reason to say “told you so”. That was a risk too high :-)

You can always get a loan the second year...

I don't disagree with your family lol...I sometimes want to give up since it makes you lose faith in people sometimes. It's a hands on business with multiple facets. Once you get it down though in about 1-2 years, it does get better. REIT's will probably have a less risk and slightly less return so there is always that.

Good idea on loan second year if things are going south in the market...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
Pretty good question! Goes way beyond the scholarship.

I know a number of folks who subscribe to your theory (they are sitting on big chunks of cash and hating the DOW hitting 29K). I talked to a financial advisor and they told me to hold back some cash too - it seems everyone is holding back the cash, which I feel this next recession will be different because so many people are expecting things to hit the fan and so many are holding back the cash. A couple of my friends and I pulled money out of stock market back in 2018 when it was 24,000. Was not so smart :) Some are still waiting to get back in.

And the interest rates are so low still so it is easy to borrow to have cash on your hands. I wonder if that will be the downfall - too many people holding out and then giving up and plunging (that's kind of what happened in the dot.com bust when peole could not believe stock could grow so high and it still kept growing so fear of missing out set in).

In terms of your situation, do you have access to other sources of funding if you need emergency funds? E.g. can you get an easy personal loan without paying 19% to credit cards? I would make sure you don't surrender all of your cash and you have an emergency fund. Your loan does not sound significant enough to make a big difference in the grand scheme of things since it likely will take years for it to double. Last time around it took 5-6 years for the stock market to double and while that's impressive that would trigger 5-6 years of moderate interest you would be paying on your student loan. I think it would be somewhat muted result, and would only play out if the investment returns are sudden and fast which is not possible to count on...

Bottom line: I would borrow if your emergency fund is compromised or low. I would borrow if I were into finance and loved investing and developing a strategy then sure but normally I would not recommend it just to have cash in case the market drops. Lots of other people do and they won't let the investments go super low with their deep pockets.

Disclaimer: don't listen to my financial advice - I usually get it completely wrong :facepalm:

P.S. The super weird part is that the most growth seems to have occured between 2016 and 2018 and then the difficulty of timing the market... it will be hard to pull off but it could be fun if you can borrow cheaply.

Guess we were both right unfortunately in calling the recession lol (probably worse). Now would be the right time to scout deals as everyone else is screaming their heads off!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72891 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I’m not sure I did well at all in this freefall that took place from 29,000 to 19,000. I realized I had a lot of cash in my 401(k) so that was a lucky coincidence and I bought the overall market index much cheaper than I would have otherwise. At the same time I feel my friends believe that The recent rally is based on nothing and that it will cave soon enough. I guess I will only know in the hindsight

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
No idea how you responded so quick!

There is little chance that you will not gain in the long term though. I am keeping 401K allocations same, although increasing wouldn't hurt either long term.

Same with my friends and I don't believe they are flawed. We are still @ 10% unemployment, with business revenue not reported under the full damage yet. I can't imagine that individual investors like us have enough cash and confidence to cause such a surge. This looks like hedge funds/external shorting for quick profits and should be avoided.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
bb wrote:
I’m not sure I did well at all in this freefall that took place from 29,000 to 19,000. I realized I had a lot of cash in my 401(k) so that was a lucky coincidence and I bought the overall market index much cheaper than I would have otherwise. At the same time I feel my friends believe that The recent rally is based on nothing and that it will cave soon enough. I guess I will only know in the hindsight

BB Sir, can you please guide me how i can shorlist colleges and due to covid 19 what changes is happening in B schools?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72891 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Gagan005 wrote:
bb wrote:

BB Sir, can you please guide me how i can shorlist colleges and due to covid 19 what changes is happening in B schools?

1. How is this even related to the topic we are discussing?
2. How can you shortlist business schools based on a virus? I guess you can go to tuck because it’s the most secluded business school and they would likely have the best chance at survival and quarantine :lol:
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
bb wrote:
Gagan005 wrote:
bb wrote:

1. How is this even related to the topic we are discussing?
2. How can you shortlist business schools based on a virus? I guess you can go to tuck because it’s the most secluded business school and they would likely have the best chance at survival and quarantine :lol:

bb
You always find ways to impress. :D ;) This one brought a smile.
A top notch suggestion/sarcasm ;)
GMAT Club Bot