Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:56 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 137
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 597 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V51
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [1]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: 3rd attempt GMAT 640 (Q40, V38). Need advice [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi sole95,

I'm sorry to hear that your recent attempt did not go better. With a 640, you're closer to a 700+ than you probably realize - but since this recent Score is almost identical to your 2nd Score (from 9 months ago), it's likely that you have developed some 'bad habits' during your studies that are keeping you from scoring higher on the Official GMAT. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) For this most recent attempt, how many hours did you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used over the course of ALL of your studies?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School? If it's soon, then what are the exact application deadlines that you are facing?

While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR for your 3rd attempt, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 137
Send PM
Hello, EMPOWERgmatRichC

First of all, after my second Official GMAT, which was in late May 2019 I stopped my preparations and did not practice anything GMAT related until late November.
Here are the answers to the questions you posed:

1) At first from November to January I studied 3 days a week for 2 hours for Verbal and 4 days a week for 2 hours for Quant. From January up until my exam I intensified my Q preparations to 5 times a week for 2 hours and sometimes more. Verbal stayed the same.
2) I used Official Guide 2019, Quant review 2019 and 2020, Official Guide 2015 for Quant, I went through the entire 700-800 questions for Quant (pdf file, found on gmat club) and I used the GMAT question bank search to practice both DS and PS.
3) I did GMAT Official CAT's 2,3 and 4. I did the first one as well, but in an early stage of my preparation, so I don't consider the result relevant.
GMAT Official CAT 2- April 1st 2019- V36 Q42- 650
GMAT Official CAT 3- May 15th 2019- V41 Q47-720
GMAT Official CAT 4- May 20th 2019-V41 Q49-740 ( I found the Q section of this test to be rather easy, compared to that of the other tests)

I did not do any new CAT's before my last attempt. I redid the 1st CAT a few days before the exam- and I had 740- V45 and Q47. The verbal score was inflated because some of the questions were familiar.

4) I am planning to apply for a Msc programme in Europe for this year's intake. Since my first choice is LBS MiM the deadline is 22nd of April, even though they might accept late applications.

*As for the ESR from my 3rd attempt- I will purchase it as soon as I can- the status of my appointment is still blank.
* I strongly believe my biggest problem with the GMAT is my inability to control my emotions during the test. However I do believe I need a stronger base in Quant, because during my last exam I was so unfocused, I red the questions a couple of times, without being able to grasp the meaning, I was so nervous and scared I couldn't think straight. However with a stronger base and a more structured approach I might have been able to combat my emotions as I did with verbal. I don't believe my Quant level is 40, I could sure use extra exercise and structure.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sole95,

Since you scored considerably higher on those last couple of CATs before you took your 2nd Official GMAT, we have to consider how you took those practice exams. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though - and how you might best continue on with your studies - I'd like to see your most recent ESR.

Before you can include attachments with your posts/PMs, you need to have at least 5 posts in the forums (right now, you have just 3 posts). If you post 2 more times, then you should be able to include your ESR with any of your messages. You can also feel free to PM it to me directly if you would rather not post it publicly (and you can also email me directly at Rich.C@empowergmat.com).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2103 [1]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Kudos
Hi!

Sorry to hear about your GMAT journey up till now. I feel if you improve your quant score then you will be in good shape. The following person improved his quant score to Q47:-

https://gmatclub.com/forum/730-q47-v44- ... l#p2307462

You may find the above post useful. Since your V score is very good, I feel with practice you can improve your score.

You must give GMAT one more time. All the best!
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22055 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi sole95,

I’m sorry to hear how things went with your GMAT. The good news is that your verbal score seems to be in pretty good shape, so if you can improve your quant score, you have a real shot at scoring 700+. With that said, since you have been unable to break Q40, despite taking the GMAT 3 times, it’s a sign that you lack some of the foundational skills that you need for a high quant score. To truly improve your GMAT quant skills, you need to follow a study plan that allows you to learn GMAT quant from the ground up. In other words, you need to follow a study plan that allows you to learn each GMAT quant topic and then practice each topic until you’ve gained mastery. Regarding resources, as has been mentioned, since you are looking for quant help, TTP would be an awesome resource for you. We are the top-rated quant course here on GMAT Club. We offer a full access, 5-day trial, so feel free to give the course a shot. If you have any questions regarding TTP or your study plan, feel free to reach out to me directly. You also may find it helpful to read the following articles:

How to Eliminate GMAT Test-Day Anxiety

The Phases of Preparing for the GMAT
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1256 [0]
Given Kudos: 402
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Try to practice gmatclub test Quant. The questions are hard but gmat-like and the explanations are good.

Btw how do you feel gmat difficulty nowadays? Does it keep increasing or is just about the same (for your second and third attempt)?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Maybe also a "You're not alone" section, which contains members' venting, frustration, and so forth. One negative observation some people make is that GMATClub is full of super geniuses who were preordained to easily score above a 700. It might be helpful to show that this isn't actually the case. Such a collection might accomplish this by presenting other members with similar problems.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts