Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 16:27 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 16:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well, person is just a moron, but anyone can figure that out in 2 seconds by just looking at his name.

I would say that the only effective way to explain a below average GMAT is to show a representative example from your past. The best would be if you had a lower than average SAT score, but were still able to excel and get very high grades in a very rigorous environment.

But honestly, I would guess that nearly everyone trying to apply with a below average GMAT will have extremely similar explanations. So unless you can point to something specific in your own past, it will probably be a hard sell.

Check out this link for some tips:

https://www.accepted.com/mba/lowstats.aspx
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
LolPwn3d! wrote:
rhyme wrote:
You can say you are not the best test taker as long as you back up HOW therefore, the score does not reflect your true abilities.

This is what all the kids that ride on the short bus rationalize their awful test scores.

There's no need to be rude.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Send PM
Re: How do you explain a bad test taker [#permalink]
vibha wrote:
Hello,
I want to mention my low GMAT score in my optional essay. I am just not a great test taker. But I don't want to just say that, any suggestions?

Thanks!
Vibha

Also, how many times did you take gmat? you should show that you tried your best by taking it more than once...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
gmatmba wrote:
vibha wrote:
Hello,
I want to mention my low GMAT score in my optional essay. I am just not a great test taker. But I don't want to just say that, any suggestions?

Thanks!
Vibha

Also, how many times did you take gmat? you should show that you tried your best by taking it more than once...

Oh yes very good point. I was talking to a honest student reader at an ultra elite and he told me "I cant tell you how many people get a 690 and think its good enough and take it once." -- dont focus on the 690 part, but rather - his point was that taking it once and saying "oh well" isn't the kind of person they want. They want someone who really tried.

For the record, I know someone at Kellogg with a 550, so it can be done.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thank you all for the good advice. I took it twice and ended up with a 640. Obviously not stellar. I'm am shooting for GSB PT. Their average is 660. I also am aiming for some other schools FT which have higher averages. Is it better to take an example like the SAT/college one that was mentioned or simply point to my stronger GPA and class performance?
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Kind of hard to explain away a bad GMAT score. After all, they let you take it more than once. I think the "I'm a bad test taker" isn't a great one and certainly not something you should try to use as an excuse. After all, I think the most likely response is, "well, work harder".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Geez. I would just explain that you retain more knowledge from visual experience rather than memorization. Explain how you excel beyond the tests.
GMAT Club Bot