Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:57 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22056 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 22056 [0]
Send PM
Re: Should I cancel my GMAT 710 Score - 1st Attempt? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
karanbce wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi karanbece,

First off, great job with 710! Regarding what to do with the score, there is no harm in canceling it because you can always reinstate that score at a later date. You know what I mean? Regarding the online GMAT, I say go for it. If you don’t break 710, then you have the option to not submit that online score to business schools. So really it’s a no lose attempt at the GMAT. Regarding the score drop, honestly, we’ve had plenty of TTP students who have crushed the online GMAT, so I would not go into it thinking that your score is going to drop. If you need any further advice, feel free to reach out.

Thanks ScottTargetTestPrep for your response, I think I'll do that.

My pleasure!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
ScottTargetTestPrep

I took the GMAT Online a week back and got a 740 (Q51, V38, IR6). So quite happy against the previous score. I had also booked another in-center one (just in case online didn't go so well) and gave it couple of days back, and again got a 740 (Q50, V40, IR7, AWA awaited).

I wanted to just say thanks for your reply before to my earlier post. I was feeling demotivated after the first score, and your reply definitely helped me a lot to regain back my confidence and give another shot immediately without worrying too much. It just shows how a positive reply can go a long way.

Now, I have 2 scores of 740. I'll be applying to the M7 in R1 this year. Can you give me your thoughts on which one is better in terms of the following?

1. Distribution between V and Q and IR?
2. Is the in-center one considered more safe by schools, given the online one is an interim solution?

Or should I just send both scores?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
karanbce wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep

I took the GMAT Online a week back and got a 740 (Q51, V38, IR6). So quite happy against the previous score. I had also booked another in-center one (just in case online didn't go so well) and gave it couple of days back, and again got a 740 (Q50, V40, IR7, AWA awaited).

I wanted to just say thanks for your reply before to my earlier post. I was feeling demotivated after the first score, and your reply definitely helped me a lot to regain back my confidence and give another shot immediately without worrying too much. It just shows how a positive reply can go a long way.

Now, I have 2 scores of 740. I'll be applying to the M7 in R1 this year. Can you give me your thoughts on which one is better in terms of the following?

2. Is the in-center one considered more safe by schools, given the online one is an interim solution?

HI Karanbce, thanks for sharing your experience and congrats on a great 740! I had very similar experience with you. I took my first test on 7/24 (710 Q50, V34, IR3). I was scoring 750, 740 for my last two Prep exam, so quite disappointed that day. IR was extremely weird that date and funny that we had similar experience on the same day.

I cancelled my score and register another exam yesterday, but unfortunately I got another 710 (Q50, V35, IR8). With a similar goal of getting into one of the M7, I was quite defeated. I am not sure if the score I get from the mock was just a luck or is because I did perform 100% during the exam. Not sure if I should retake again? I'm in the over-represented group so I feel 710 is probably not good enough to get me into M7. I am considering if I should cancel my score and give another try in a month? I was originally shooting for R1 as well, but I have not quite start to write the essay, so probably going to miss the R1 deadlines.

Can you please share some of your strategy using the two weeks? How did you prepare for it?

Also, the min. interval between the two exam is 16 calendar days, how did you take both online and the physical one within 16 calendar days? Does the online not have any time restriction ?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Should I cancel my GMAT 710 Score - 1st Attempt? [#permalink]
FlyingWhale wrote:
karanbce wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep

HI Karanbce, thanks for sharing your experience and congrats on a great 740! I had very similar experience with you. I took my first test on 7/24 (710 Q50, V34, IR3). I was scoring 750, 740 for my last two Prep exam, so quite disappointed that day. IR was extremely weird that date and funny that we had similar experience on the same day.

I cancelled my score and register another exam yesterday, but unfortunately I got another 710 (Q50, V35, IR8). With a similar goal of getting into one of the M7, I was quite defeated. I am not sure if the score I get from the mock was just a luck or is because I did perform 100% during the exam. Not sure if I should retake again? I'm in the over-represented group so I feel 710 is probably not good enough to get me into M7. I am considering if I should cancel my score and give another try in a month? I was originally shooting for R1 as well, but I have not quite start to write the essay, so probably going to miss the R1 deadlines.

Can you please share some of your strategy using the two weeks? How did you prepare for it?

Also, the min. interval between the two exam is 16 calendar days, how did you take both online and the physical one within 16 calendar days? Does the online not have any time restriction ?

Hi FlyingWhale,

Congrats on a 710, it's a good score. Here are some pointers from my side.

1. Yes GMAT Online is another exam, and it doesn't interfere with the 16 day calendar cycle of the in-center one.

2. I don't know if I'm worthy of giving any tailored advice as I don't know too much about you, but I guess if you REALLY want to still try R1 for say a school or two, you can book a GMAT Online in the coming week, if you can adjust to its format. I have heard many who have got a higher score in their GMAT online. So go with a positive mindset, as you have already been getting 740-750. Chances are you'll get higher (there would be no center anxiety as well). You can then plan your R1. vs R2 strategy after that. If you want to study and give in a month, then that's also okay as you can purely focus on GMAT till then, and can also give more than once if needed (though I'm sure you won't need it).

3. My own strategy in the 2 weeks for nothing different. I just studied how I was studying before. But just make sure you trust yourself and the process. Eat and sleep well before the test day. Perhaps exercise before the test as well, to improve concentration. Exercise really helped me. My experience with GMAT has been that after a point, the biggest factor is the test day concentration and mentality.

All the best and I'm sure you'll get your desired score.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
karanbce wrote:
FlyingWhale wrote:
karanbce wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep

HiKaran

Hi FlyingWhale,

1. Yes GMAT Online is another exam, and it doesn't interfere with the 16 day calendar cycle of the in-center one.

2. I don't know if I'm worthy of giving any tailored advice as I don't know too much about you, but I guess if you REALLY want to still try R1 for say a school or two, you can book a GMAT Online in the coming week, if you can adjust to its format. I have heard many who have got a higher score in their GMAT online. So go with a positive mindset, as you have already been getting 740-750. Chances are you'll get higher (there would be no center anxiety as well). You can then plan your R1. vs R2 strategy after that. If you want to study and give in a month, then that's also okay as you can purely focus on GMAT till then, and can also give more than once if needed (though I'm sure you won't need it).

3. My own strategy in the 2 weeks for nothing different. I just studied how I was studying before. But just make sure you trust yourself and the process. Eat and sleep well before the test day. Perhaps exercise before the test as well, to improve concentration. Exercise really helped me. My experience with GMAT has been that after a point, the biggest factor is the test day concentration and mentality.

Hi Karanbce, thanks so much for the quick reply and the warm encouragement!

I am struggling with thought of either giving another try or just switching to write the essay for now. A lot of people try to submit for R1, is R1 really offer more opportunities?
For the GMAT online, what's your overall feeling? See a lot of ppl on the forum getting much lower score, making me worried about it. Also, it says only optional 5 min break between verbal and IR, so we do not get break between verbal and quant?
Tutor
Affiliations: RetaketheGMAT by i4Excellence
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Expert Reply
From my experience, most test takers don't benefit from continuing the same approach (they have followed for months) when they're trying to achieve a quick turnaround score improvement (especially to the mid 700's).

The highest impact is achieved through focusing on improving your in-test processes (in both quant and verbal). Taking a close look at that and looking for patterns in missing steps or typical errors is the best way to get more "points" out of your current level of content knowledge.

Originally posted by RetaketheGMAT on 12 Aug 2020, 11:55.
Last edited by RetaketheGMAT on 13 Aug 2020, 07:39, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FlyingWhale wrote:
karanbce wrote:
FlyingWhale wrote:
karanbce wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep

HiKaran

Hi FlyingWhale,

I am struggling with thought of either giving another try or just switching to write the essay for now. A lot of people try to submit for R1, is R1 really offer more opportunities?
For the GMAT online, what's your overall feeling? See a lot of ppl on the forum getting much lower score, making me worried about it. Also, it says only optional 5 min break between verbal and IR, so we do not get break between verbal and quant?

Personally, I wouldn't prefer to break the GMAT momentum. I am assuming it will take some time to regain it back. But anyway, it's your call at the end of the day. Regarding R1 vs R2, people say there is only a little difference. Like given a choice, you can go for R1. But in the end, it's always better to submit an application when it's strongest. No point in hurrying up to fill in R1, only to realise it was not your strongest application. So don't worry too much about it. Try for R1, in case you can't make it, then go for R2 without giving another thought. Many people go for R2 only.

Regarding GMAT Online, there are many positive reviews also where people have got a much better score. I have also got PMs of people telling me that they increased their score. So don't focus on the negative reviews and get yourself bogged down. Just go in with a positive mindset. Yes, there is no break between the 2 sections. But you can sit on your table and have water anytime during the test. If you practice 2-3 mocks with the test conditions, you'll get used to it immediately.

All the best.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
karanbce wrote:
FlyingWhale wrote:
karanbce wrote:
FlyingWhale wrote:
karanbce wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep

HiKaran

Hi FlyingWhale,

Personally, I wouldn't prefer to break the GMAT momentum. I am assuming it will take some time to regain it back. But anyway, it's your call at the end of the day. Regarding R1 vs R2, people say there is only a little difference. Like given a choice, you can go for R1. But in the end, it's always better to submit an application when it's strongest. No point in hurrying up to fill in R1, only to realise it was not your strongest application. So don't worry too much about it. Try for R1, in case you can't make it, then go for R2 without giving another thought. Many people go for R2 only.

Regarding GMAT Online, there are many positive reviews also where people have got a much better score. I have also got PMs of people telling me that they increased their score. So don't focus on the negative reviews and get yourself bogged down. Just go in with a positive mindset. Yes, there is no break between the 2 sections. But you can sit on your table and have water anytime during the test. If you practice 2-3 mocks with the test conditions, you'll get used to it immediately.

All the best.

Thanks for the patient response. Yes,I have decided to give another shot. Two hours no bathroom break seems rough lol Anyway, anything worth to try to break a good score.
Good luck to you on the application!
Own Kudos [?]: 22056 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
karanbce wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep

No harm in submitting both but Q51 is amazing!! Great work.
GMAT Club Bot