Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:40 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V40
GPA: 3.9
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [3]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
Urgent Help Needed! How to improve Quant from Q43 to at least Q47 [#permalink]
Thanks a lot for taking the time to provide this very informative feedback. I am grateful.

I would ask the opinion of admission experts as you have advised and also purchase the ESR.

Another area of concern for me is Integrated Reasoning. In my practice tests at home, i scored 4, 7,4,7 and 8 but on the real exam i scored 3. I found the IR section to very hard and some some graphs that i have never encountered during my prep. I am worried that an IR score of 3 may weaken the conceptualization of the 680 by the admissions committee.

Please see below responses to your questions

Studies:

1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?

I started my study in April this year and i studied at least 4 hours a day, Mon - Fri and 8hrs on Sat. On the average, i studied about 30hours a week. So far i have solved about 2900 questions.

2) What study materials have you used so far?

I have used the MGMAT guides to refresh my basics. I have read Powerscore Bible twice. I also used GMATClub math and verbal book. I also solved OG and GMAT Prep questions on GMATClub.

3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

GMAT Prep 1 - 24/7/2020: 650 Q47 V34 IR4
GMAT Prep 2 - 30/7/2020: 700 Q47 V41 IR7
GMAT Prep 3 - 5/8/2020: 680 Q42 V41 IR 4
GMAT Prep 4 - 11/8/2020: 640 Q41 V38 IR8

I took the official GMAT on 14/8/2020 and scored 680 Q43 V40 IR3

4) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?
I plan to apply in Round 1 (September 15th). I am applying to Stanford, Booth, LBS and Rotman. I am considering adding either Yale or Columbia

Thanks for your time EMPOWERgmatRichC

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi OmotayoH,

First off, a 680/Q43 is a strong Score, so it could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. As such, a retest might not be necessary. Depending on the Schools that you plan to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

As an aside, the 760+ score is the 99th percentile - meaning that 99% of Test Takers never score that high (regardless of how long they study or the number of times that they take the GMAT). Thankfully, NO Business School requires a score that high - so it's important to realize that the score that you "want" and the score that you "need" to get into your first-choice School are not the same thing.

Statistically-speaking, raising a 680 to the point that you can consistently score 760+ would likely require at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. The first step is to realize that the Quant section of the GMAT is NOT a 'math test' - it's a 'critical thinking test' that requires lots of little calculations as you work through it. To score at a much higher level in this section (and thus, overall), you need to become more of a 'strategist' and less of a 'mathematician.'

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Originally posted by SvelteNigerian on 15 Aug 2020, 14:31.
Last edited by SvelteNigerian on 15 Aug 2020, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Urgent Help Needed! How to improve Quant from Q43 to at least Q47 [#permalink]
Okay, noted.

Thanks alot for your response.

I would take your advice. I hope for the best :please:

MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
Focus on one topic at a time to give yourself a chance to fully understand that topic and to learn to answer questions involving that topic.

Stick with each topic until you can answer 700 level questions involving that topic at least 70 percent of the time. Even better would be becoming strong enough in a topic that you can get 15 700 level questions involving that topic correct in a row. Move onto the next topic only when you have mastered the topic you are working on.

For more ideas on how to increase your quant score, you could read this post. How To Increase Your GMAT Quant Score
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Urgent Help Needed! How to improve Quant from Q43 to at least Q47 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi OmotayoH,

Going forward, you have to be careful about confusing "quantity" of study with "quality" of study. I've never asked anyone to study 30+ hours a week - and while it's great that you might have the available time to study that much, with that number of study hours, you would run the risk of 'burning out' before Test Day (and that is something that may have already happened). If you are going to try to continue to study that much, then I suggest that you take one hour "off" for every two hours of study. For example, you could study for 2 hours, then stop for an hour, then study for another 2 hours, then take an hour off, etc.

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your CAT score results - along with your Official Score - show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 670 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also leave yourself open to making certain types of mistakes. Considering the 'swings' in your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores AND your goal of scoring a lot higher, you almost certainly need the longer study timeframe that I referred to in my prior post.

Most Business Schools do not care much (if at all) about the IR Score, so scoring an IR3 likely would not impact your applications at all. If you would like to know more about how an individual School or Program views the IR Score, then you should reach out directly to the School and ask (the School's Admissions Representatives will be happy to answer any questions that you have).

The data in the ESR would be quite helpful in defining how you specifically 'responded' to the GMAT on Test Day, so if you're going to purchase the ESR, then I would like to see it before we discuss how you should proceed with your studies. If you would rather not post your ESR publicly, then you can feel free to PM it directly to me.

Rich
Current Student
Send PM
Thanks again EMPOWERgmatRichC for responding.

I studied using the pomodoro technique featuring 50mins of study and 10 minutes break and a 1 hour break after 4 reps. I also took Sundays off completely.

I have decided to retake the exam, if only to improve my IR score. While i understand that most schools may not consider it seriously, i think a score that low could cause unnecessary concern as to my abilities. I still have 1 month till deadlines so i plan on going hard at it again :)

I would appreciate any guidance you could give me to approach the GMAT more strategically this time around.

I have ordered the ESR and would send it to you privately.

Thank you

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi OmotayoH,

Going forward, you have to be careful about confusing "quantity" of study with "quality" of study. I've never asked anyone to study 30+ hours a week - and while it's great that you might have the available time to study that much, with that number of study hours, you would run the risk of 'burning out' before Test Day (and that is something that may have already happened). If you are going to try to continue to study that much, then I suggest that you take one hour "off" for every two hours of study. For example, you could study for 2 hours, then stop for an hour, then study for another 2 hours, then take an hour off, etc.

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your CAT score results - along with your Official Score - show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 670 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also leave yourself open to making certain types of mistakes. Considering the 'swings' in your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores AND your goal of scoring a lot higher, you almost certainly need the longer study timeframe that I referred to in my prior post.

Most Business Schools do not care much (if at all) about the IR Score, so scoring an IR3 likely would not impact your applications at all. If you would like to know more about how an individual School or Program views the IR Score, then you should reach out directly to the School and ask (the School's Admissions Representatives will be happy to answer any questions that you have).

The data in the ESR would be quite helpful in defining how you specifically 'responded' to the GMAT on Test Day, so if you're going to purchase the ESR, then I would like to see it before we discuss how you should proceed with your studies. If you would rather not post your ESR publicly, then you can feel free to PM it directly to me.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts