Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:08 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:

Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16598 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
GPA: 4
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Math Revolution DS Expert - Ask Me Anything about GMAT DS [#permalink]
Expert Reply
TargetMBA007 wrote:
Hi,

I find my DS performance is lagging my PS performance quite a bit. I feel my concepts are not bad (At Q44 Currently) but I mess up DS questions because I don't have a good way to organize my notes or a proper step by step framework to solve these.

I was wondering if anyone has any resources/frameworks/note-taking strategies they can refer me to or generally share any tips. I am also looking at the Variable approach method and wonder what are the benefits of using it over conventional methods?

Thanks

We wish you luck for your preparation. Q44 is not a bad score but if it is stagnant there is a concern. You should learn quick approaches to solve questions.

The variable Approach wins over the Conventional method as you can suggest yourself what should be the answer learning various tips and techniques and then solve to make sure about your answer.

Please register on our website https://www.mathrevolution.com and check and try some variable approach based concepts and questions.

You can write to us at info@mathrevolution.com.

Thanks

Punit Joshi
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks Punit,

I did watch a couple of the videos and am quite interested in pursuing this method further. I had a couple of questions:
1. A lot of the videos talk about the probability of an answer being correct, say there is a 70% chance that C will be correct, does this mean that to be sure you have to solve the equation anyway? If so, how does this benefit you as compared to just solving it in the first place?
2. Can you please elaborate on the major advantage of this method over conventional methods?

Thanks
Send PM
Expert Reply
(Number) n are integers between 1 and 100, inclusive. What is the sum of all n’s?

1) \(2^n\)-1 is a multiple of 5.
2) n is a multiple of 4.
Send PM
Expert Reply
(Number) What are the values of positive integers p, q, and r?

1) p, q, and r are prime numbers and p < q < r.

2) The product of p, q, and r is 5 times the sum of p, q, and r.
Send PM
Expert Reply
(Algebra) What is the value of \(\frac{(3mr - nt)}{(4nt - 7mr)}\)?

1) \(\frac{m}{n}\)= \(\frac{4}{3}\) and \(\frac{r}{t}\) = \(\frac{9}{14}\)

2) m, n, r, and t are positive integers.
Send PM
Expert Reply
MathRevolution wrote:
(Number) n are integers between 1 and 100, inclusive. What is the sum of all n’s?

1) \(2^n\)-1 is a multiple of 5.
2) n is a multiple of 4.

Solution:

Forget conventional ways of solving math questions.

For DS problems, the VA (Variable Approach) method is the quickest and easiest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem.

Remember that equal numbers of variables and independent equations ensure a solution.

Visit https://www.mathrevolution.com/gmat/lesson for details.

Now we will solve this DS question using the Variable Approach.

Let’s apply the 3 steps suggested previously.

Follow the first step of the Variable Approach by modifying and rechecking the original condition and the question.

We have to find the sum of all n’s if n are integers between 1 and 100, inclusive.

Follow the second and the third steps: From the original condition, we have 1 variable (n). To match the number of variables with the number of equations, we need 1 more equation. Since conditions (1) and (2) will provide 1 equation each, D would most likely be the answer.

Recall 3 Principles and choose D as the most likely answer.

Let’s look at each condition separately.

Condition (1) tells us that \(2^n\) - 1 is a multiple of 5.

=> Multiples of 5 ends either with 0 or 5 and Powers of 2 ends with 2, 4, 8, or 6.

=> \(2^n\) - 1 will be a multiple of 5 when the power of 2 ends with a 6. This is only possible when 2 is raised to a power of 4 or a multiple of 4. For example: n = 4 = \(2^n\) - 1 = 16 - 1 = 15 (multiple of 5).

In other words, n should be multiple of 4.

From 1 to 100, we have 24 multiples of 4, starting with 4 and ending with 100. Therefore n = 24.

=> The sum of the 24 numbers will be \(\frac{n}{2}\) * [first term + last term]

=> \(\frac{25}{2}\) * [4 + 100]

=> 1,300

Since the answer is unique, the condition is sufficient, according to CMT 2, which states that the number of answers must be one.

Condition (2) tells us that n is a multiple of 4.

=> From 1 to 100, we have 24 multiples of 4, starting with 4 and ending with 100. Therefore n = 24.

The sum of the 24 numbers:

=> \(\frac{n}{2}\) * [first term + last term]

=> \(\frac{25}{2}\) * [4 + 100]

=> 1,300

Since the answer is unique, the condition is sufficient, according to CMT 2, which states that the number of answers must be one.

EACH condition ALONE is sufficient.

Therefore, D is the correct answer.

Also, according to Tip 1, if both the conditions give the same value, the most probable answer is D. It is about 95% likely that D would be the answer when the value of the Condition (1) is equal to the value of the Condition (2).

The answer is D because (1) = (2).

Therefore, D is the correct answer.

Answer: D
Send PM
Expert Reply
MathRevolution wrote:
(Number) What are the values of positive integers p, q, and r?

1) p, q, and r are prime numbers and p < q < r.

2) The product of p, q, and r is 5 times the sum of p, q, and r.

Solution:

Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. For DS problems, the VA (Variable Approach) method is the quickest and easiest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember that equal numbers of variables and independent equations ensure a solution.

Follow the first step of the Variable Approach by modifying and rechecking the original condition and the question.

We have to find the values of natural numbers p, q, and r.

Follow the second and third steps: From the original condition, we have 3 variables (p, q, and r). To match the number of variables with the number of equations, we need 3 more equations. Since conditions (1) and (2) will provide 1 equation each, E would most likely be the answer.

Recall 3 Principles and choose E as the most likely answer

Let's take a look at both conditions (1) and (2) together. Then we get:

=> p < q < r and pqr = 5 * (p + q + r)

=> p = 2 , q = 5 and r = 7

=> pqr = 70 and p + q + r = 14

Since the answer is unique, both conditions (1) and (2) combined are sufficient, according to CMT 2, which states that the number of answers must be one. So, C seems to be the answer.

However, since this question is an integer question, which is also one of the key questions, we should apply CMT 4(A), which states that if an answer C is found too easily, either A or B should be considered as the answer. Let’s look at each condition separately.

Condition (1) tells us that p, q, and r are prime numbers and p < q < r.

=> If p = 2, q = 3, and r = 5 then p < q < r.

=> If p = 3, q = 5, and r = 7 then p < q < r.

Since the answer is not unique, the condition is not sufficient, according to CMT 2, which states that the number of answers must be one.

Condition (2) tells us that the product of p, q, and r is 5 times the sum of p, q, and r.

=> Thus, pqr = 5 (p + q + r). This means that pqr is a multiple of 5, and thus one of the prime numbers is 5.

=> If p = 5 , q = 7, and r = 2 then pqr = 5 * 7 * 2 = 70 and p + q + r = 5 + 7 + 2 = 14. Therefore, pqr = 5 (p + q + r).

However, if p = 2, q = 7, and r = 5 then pqr = 2 * 7 * 5 = 70 and p + q + r = 2 + 7 + 5 = 14. Therefore, pqr = 5 (p + q + r).

Since the answer is not unique, the condition is not sufficient, according to CMT 2, which states that the number of answers must be one.

So, both conditions (1) and (2) together are sufficient.

Therefore, C is the correct answer.

Answer C
Manager
Manager
Send PM
TargetMBA007 wrote:
Thanks Punit,

I did watch a couple of the videos and am quite interested in pursuing this method further. I had a couple of questions:
1. A lot of the videos talk about the probability of an answer being correct, say there is a 70% chance that C will be correct, does this mean that to be sure you have to solve the equation anyway? If so, how does this benefit you as compared to just solving it in the first place?
2. Can you please elaborate on the major advantage of this method over conventional methods?

Thanks

Hi,

Just wanted to follow up on this?

Thanks
Send PM
Expert Reply
TargetMBA007 wrote:
Thanks Punit,

1. A lot of the videos talk about the probability of an answer is correct, say there is a 70% chance that C will be correct, does this mean that to be sure you have to solve the equation anyway? If so, how does this benefit you as compared to just solving it in the first place?

Thanks

Hello,

Thank you so much for spending time to check our lessons and videos. The major lesson C31 outlines all the advantages of a Variable approach. Similarly, the IVY approach(PS problems) outperform the conventional method and is explained in last chapter of letter E.

Please visit certain links to our post regualrly where we post the questions along with solutions on Gmat club.

One important thing which I will recommend here is that the Variable Approach saves time as it helps us to know the high chances of probable answer and hence we pick the option accordingly.
For example, if it says answer to be C, we will not waste out time in checking A and B separately.

But we agree with the fact, the statements are made 70% or 80% likely just because there are certain exceptions (TIPS) one has to know.

One of that kind is : If the question is based on integers and it seems C is the answer, then as it is easy to find C to be an answer do check A and B separately as either of them will be an answer.

I will recommend you to have prepared those tips and then apply Variable Approach.

Drop me message if you have any more questions.

Punit Joshi
Send PM
Math Revolution DS Expert - Ask Me Anything about GMAT DS [#permalink]
Expert Reply
MathRevolution wrote:
(Algebra) What is the value of \(\frac{(3mr - nt)}{(4nt - 7mr)}\)?

1) \(\frac{m}{n}\)= \(\frac{4}{3}\) and \(\frac{r}{t}\) = \(\frac{9}{14}\)

2) m, n, r, and t are positive integers.

Solution:

Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. For DS problems, the VA (Variable Approach) method is the quickest and easiest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember that equal numbers of variables and independent equations ensure a solution.

Modify the original condition and question: \(\frac{(3mr - nt)}{(4nt - 7mr)}\).

=> Dividing the numerator and denominator by 'nt' gives us:

=> \(\frac{\frac{3mr - nt}{nt}}{\frac{4nt - 7mr}{nt}}\)

OR

=> \(\frac{\frac{3mr}{nt} -1}{4- \frac{7mr}{nt}}\)

OR

=> \(\frac{3 * \frac{m}{n} *\frac{r}{t} -1}{4- 7 * \frac{m}{n} *\frac{r}{t}}\)

So, we are looking for the value of \(\frac{m}{n}\) and \(\frac{r}{t}\).

Thus, let’s look at the condition (1). It tells us that \(\frac{m}{n} = \frac{4}{3}\) and \(\frac{r}{t} = \frac{9}{14}\), which is exactly what we are looking for.

=> Substituting the values, we get:

=> \(\frac{3 * \frac{4}{3} *\frac{9}{14} -1}{4- 7 * \frac{4}{3} *\frac{9}{14}}\)

OR

=> \(\frac{4 * \frac{9}{14} -1}{4- \frac{4}{3} *\frac{9}{2}}\)

OR

=> \(\frac{\frac{36}{14} -1}{4- \frac{36}{6}\)

OR

=> \(\frac{\frac{36}{14} -\frac{14}{14}}{4 - 6}\)

OR

=> \(\frac{\frac{22}{14}}{- 2}\)

OR

=> \(\frac{\frac{11}{7}}{- 2}\)

OR

=> \(\frac{-11}{14}\)

Since the answer is unique, and the condition is sufficient, according to CMT 2, which states that the number of answers must be one.

NOTE: We ideally don't have to solve for the value once we know that required ratios are given in the condition.

Condition (2) tells us that m, n, r, and t are natural numbers.

However, we cannot determine the unique values of m, n, r, and t to get the value of \(\frac{m}{n}\) and \(\frac{r}{t}\).

So, the condition is not sufficient, according to CMT 2, which states that the number of answers must be one.

Also, remember that if one condition has a statement with a ratio and another condition has a statement with numbers, then the condition with a ratio is more likely to be the answer. A is the correct answer because the condition with a ratio is the answer.

Condition (1) ALONE is sufficient.

Therefore, A is the correct answer.

Answer: A

Originally posted by MathRevolution on 18 Sep 2020, 07:04.
Last edited by MathRevolution on 20 Dec 2020, 03:37, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Is there any forum related to common mistake type questions in quants?
Thank You.
MathRevolution
Own Kudos [?]: 16598 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
PrathameshPP22 wrote:
Is there any forum related to common mistake type questions in quants?
Thank You.
MathRevolution

Hello,

There is no dedicated forum for Common mistake types yet. For better learning, you shall visit the website.

Thanks
Send PM
Expert Reply
(DS) What is the value of a positive integer x?

(1) x divided by 3 leaves the remainder 2.
(2) \(x^2\) divided by 3 leaves the remainder 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
MathRevolution wrote:
(DS) What is the value of a positive integer x?

(1) x divided by 3 leaves the remainder 2.
(2) \(x^2\) divided by 3 leaves the remainder 1

Solution: To save time and improve accuracy on DS question in GMAT, learn, and apply a Variable Approach.

We have to find the value of the positive integer ‘x’.

Follow the second and the third step: From the original condition, we have 1 variable (x). To match the number of variables with the number of equations, we need 1 equation. Since conditions (1) and (2) will provide 1 equation each, D would most likely be the answer.

Recall 3- Principles and Choose D as the most likely answer. Let’s look at each condition separately. We should remember that the remainder questions are solved by the direct substitution

Condition (1) tells us that when x divided by 3, the remainder is 2.

=> If x = 5, then the remainder will be ‘2’ when ‘5’ is divided by ‘3’

=> But if x = 17, then the remainder will be ‘2’ when ‘17’ is divided by ‘2’

The answer is not unique, and condition (1) alone is not sufficient according to Common Mistake Type 2 which states that the number of answers must be only one.

Condition (2) tells us that when \(x^2\) divided by 3, the remainder is 1

=> If x = 5, then remainder will be ‘1’ when ‘\(x^2 = 5^2\) = 25’ is divided by ‘3’

=> But if x = 17, then remainder will be ‘1’ when \(‘x^2 = 17^2\) = 289’ is divided by ‘3’
The answer is not unique, and condition (2) alone is not sufficient according to Common Mistake Type 2 which states that the number of answers must be only one.

Let’s look at both conditions combined together.

=> If x = 5, then the remainder will be ‘2’ when ‘5’ is divided by ‘3’ and the remainder will be ‘1’ when ‘\(x^2 = 5^2\) = 25’ is divided by ‘3’

=> But if x = 17, then the remainder will be ‘2’ when ‘17’ is divided by ‘2’ and the remainder will be ‘1’ when ‘\(x^2 = 17^2\) = 289’ is divided by ‘3’

The answer is not unique, both conditions (1) and (2) combined are not sufficient according to Common Mistake Type 2 which states that the number of answers must be only one.

Both conditions together are not sufficient.

Therefore, E is the correct answer.

Answer: E
Send PM
Expert Reply
(Integers) If x and y are integers, what is the value of y?

(1) \(y^x = y \)
(2) x > 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
MathRevolution wrote:
(Integers) If x and y are integers, what is the value of y?

(1) \(y^x = y \)
(2) x > 1

Solution:To save time and improve accuracy on DS question in GMAT, learn and apply Variable Approach.

We have to find the value of ‘y’ given that ‘x’ and ‘y’ are integers

Follow the second and the third step: From the original condition, we have 2 variables (x and y). To match the number of variables with the number of equations, we need 2 more equations. Since conditions (1) and (2) will provide 1 equation each, C would most likely be the answer.

Recall 3- Principles and Choose C as the most likely answer.

Let’s look at both conditions (1) and (2) together, they tell us that \(y^x\) = y and x > 1, from which we cannot determine the unique value of y.

When x=2, then we get \(y^2\)=y, \(y^2\) - y=0, y(y-1)=0 and we also get y=0 or 1

The answer is not unique, and the conditions (1) and (2) combined are not sufficient according to Common Mistake Type 2 which states that the number of answers must be only one.

Both conditions (1) and (2) together are not sufficient.

Therefore, E is the correct answer.

Answer: E
Send PM
Expert Reply
In a university, there are 19 departments. 13 males and 6 females head one of the departments. If one of the heads of the departments is selected at random, what is the probability that the head of the department selected will be a female who is pursuing a Ph. D. program?

(1) Among the females, three are pursuing Ph. D. program.
(2) Among the females, three are not pursuing Ph. D. program.

Solution: Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. For DS problems, the VA (Variable Approach) method is the quickest and easiest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember that equal numbers of variables and independent equations ensure a solution.

TIP 1: When the value from condition (1) and the value from condition (2) are the same, D would be the most likely answer.

Let us assign variable: Males (m) and Females (f)

Total number of departments: 19 => m + f = 19

Head of departments: Males (13) and Females (6).

We have to find the probability that the head of the department selected will be a female who is pursuing Ph. D. program.

Follow the second and the third step: From the original condition, we have 2 variables (m and f) and 1 Equation ( m + f = 19). To match the number of variables with the number of equations, we need 1 more equation. Since conditions (1) and (2) will provide 1 equation each, D would most likely be the answer.

Recall 3- Principles and Choose D as the most likely answer. Let’s look at each condition separately.

Condition (1) tells us that among the females, three are pursuing Ph. D. program.

Total females: 6 and ‘3’ out of ‘6’ are pursuing a Ph.D.

=> Required Probability: \(\frac{3}{19}\)

The answer is unique, condition (1) alone is sufficient according to Common Mistake Type 2 which states that the number of answers must be only one.

Condition (2) tells us that among the females, three are not pursuing Ph. D. program.

Total females: 6 and ‘3’ out of ‘6’ are not pursuing a Ph.D. This means ‘3’ out of ‘6’ are pursuing a Ph.D.

=> Required Probability: \(\frac{3}{19}\)

The answer is unique, condition (2) alone is sufficient according to Common Mistake Type 2 which states that the number of answers must be only one.

So, D is the correct answer.

Also, according to Tip 1, if both the conditions give the same value, a=1 here, the most probable answer is D. It is about 95% likely that D would be the answer when the value of the condition (1) is equal to the value of the condition (2).
The answer is D because (1) = (2).

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  52   53   54   55   56   57   58  ...  64   
Moderator:
Math Expert
92918 posts