Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:12 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 288 [6]
Given Kudos: 242
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 288 [5]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 339
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: A recent history of the Chicago meat-packing industry and its workers [#permalink]
The pride and contentment the author remarks upon were, arguably, less the products of the industrial world of the packers ---the giant yards and the intricate plants--- than of the unity and vibrance of the ethnic cultures that formed a viable community on Chicago’s South Side. Indeed, the strength of this community succeeded in generating a social movement that effectively confronted the problems of the industry that provided its livelihood.

I am struggling with this part...
please explain...can anyone please break this up in a series of simpler sentences ..so that I can comprehend this...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 288 [2]
Send PM
A recent history of the Chicago meat-packing industry and its workers [#permalink]
Kudos
RiteshGadave wrote:
The pride and contentment the author remarks upon were, arguably, less the products of the industrial world of the packers ---the giant yards and the intricate plants--- than of the unity and vibrance of the ethnic cultures that formed a viable community on Chicago’s South Side. Indeed, the strength of this community succeeded in generating a social movement that effectively confronted the problems of the industry that provided its livelihood.

I am struggling with this part...
please explain...can anyone please break this up in a series of simpler sentences ..so that I can comprehend this...

Hi Ritesh! Read roughly and pruning the sentences will help you to find key points!

Before we get in, do you remember what was the major main idea? Yes, the author of the recent history failed to recognize something thus the author of the passage argues that did so is problematic.

Now, let’s prune unnecessary modifiers

Then let’s paraphrase using…
* ‘x is less y’ means ‘x is no y’. Think dichotomously, less is none.
* synonym of product is result, consequence, outcome…etc
* vibrance and viable are signals that something is good, positive.
* this passage forms conflict composition labor vs business. Thus, in this passage, community indicates labors, and Chicago, industry indicates the meat packing industry.
* comparative ‘than’ is a signal to let us know (x…than y…) x and y are different, opposite.
* ‘indeed’ gives us the signal that it will talk the same context as what is mentioned just before.

Therefore now, we can see that this two sentence talks about what the author of the recent history failed to consider that it’s the efforts of labors who made the working conditions well, not the businesses.

Voilà, this two sentences talks same context as the major main idea, therefore making this two sentences as supporting ideas.

To pruning the passage, remember that the passage is organized in an inversed triangle structure so the passage never mention what is not mentioned above. If you see a word that is not mentioned above, find synonyms and paraphrase it.

Also, do not try to understand the passage and reading thoroughly, RC is a test about how you well understood the structure.

Hope this helps you.
Let me know if you have any further questions :)

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: A recent history of the Chicago meat-packing industry and its workers [#permalink]
Thank you so much.suminha ma'am .I got your point...Thank you so much for your explaination.Now, I feel silly ...how could i not figure it out at the first instance:) Once again thank you so much...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 288 [0]
Send PM
RiteshGadave wrote:
Thank you so much.suminha ma'am .I got your point...Thank you so much for your explaination.Now, I feel silly ...how could i not figure it out at the first instance:) Once again thank you so much...

You’re welcome! I’m glad that it helped:)

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts